Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saalbach vs Schladming

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Due to one of our ski party pulling out due to Covid, we have to use the credit note to book a holiday for next year.

Been to Saalbach numerous times and have always wondered how Schladming compares.

Is there a ski bus from Schladming that enables you to visit other resorts, as we will be on a package?

Is the apres ski any good, all we want is a lively bar with crap ski music and beer but somewhere with a bit of atmosphere like the hinterhagalm?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I Like the 4 mountains of Schladming, I like the town, bars, snow (mainly North facing). The skiing I found a bit "samey" if you like similar reds in the trees then you are laughing, but they are all similarish...get my drift

Day trips, all on the ski pass:
Fageralm - There is a short bus to , lovely, quiet and interesting, mainly drag lifts, worth a day
Radstadt/Altenmarkt: (20 mins)Lovely little mountain, 10 mins on the ski bus to Zauchensee, worth a holiday on its own. probably easier to pile in a taxi minibus
Flachau: (30 mins) Bigger area, probably no need to come here BUT 4-7 in the back bar of the Hofstadl (maddest apres I have ever seen) or the Dampfkassle and see if you remember which planet you are from
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hofstadl sounds good. Where's the maddest apres in Saabach / Hinterglemm ? Smile
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I would say similar to Frosty. I really like the place. The pistes are a bit samey, but were in great nick, and the amount of runs in the trees was great. We had a fair amount of fresh snow mid week so we managed to get a day or 2 riding that off the pistes.

It's smaller than the Ski Circus but I was happy enough to do a week there.

There are so many huttes on the mountains, maybe more per k pistes than I've seen before. There is even one in the middle of a run.

Pre covid the apres could be found at Tenne, Almrausch, Platzhirch. The Tauernalm in Hochwurzen was also a great place.

I will definitely go back there at some point in the future.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Schladming and Saalbach are probably my two favourite places to ski. They’re quite different in atmosphere and pistes, but both great.

If you go to Schladming, definitely go to Fageralm. It’s lovely.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Our 3 night stay in Schladming ended today. Been there several times before and absolutely love the place. The four mountains provide a wealth of skiing, with a bias towards reds. Loads of great mountain huts and plenty of choice of bars and restaurants in the town. Fabulous rodelbahn on Hochwurzen. We skied Flachau on the way there and Obertauern today on the way back. Flachau is great for very wide top to bottom red runs. Obertauern has a huge variety of runs, but can be a bit bleak in poor weather.
As mentioned above, there are other skiing options close to Schladming and I’d add Tauplitz to that list.
If you’ve been to Saalbach, and fancy a change, Schladming won’t disappoint.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@2planks, Schladming is great and the town has a few good spots for nightlife if you enjoy going out after Dinner but like most Austrian resorts, the Apres is usually at the bottom of the slopes at the end of the day. So for that reason alone I'd say don't stay in Schladming as the slopeside Apres is better in Flachau (Hofsatdl or Dampfkassle) or Wagrain (Kaustadl). Plus Flachau is better suited to travel to other resorts. Schladming is furthest East on the Ski Amade, so you'd be travelling for a bit longer to get to some places. I agree with @Frosty the Snowman, on the skiing at Schladming, plus there are two shocking 2-man chairs linking 2 of the 4 hills that you have to take when travelling East to West. Whatever you do if you go there, don't be tempted to stop at Andi's Schirmbar. Awful service and crap food.
The ideal base is probably Altenmarkt or Radstadt as they both have train stations that take you to Schladming in 20 Mins or so and great free buses to Flachau or Zauchensee. Flachau is now linked by lift to Kleinarl/Zauchensee too.
I was in Obertauren today and as @Austrian Seagull, says, it can be bleak in poor weather but on a Blue Sky day like today, it is worth a visit but note, it isn't on the Ski Amade Lift pass.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Anybody been to Galsterbergalm?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks for the replies, Ischgl is coming into budget so might look there too.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy