Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Piste skis for touring boots?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I currently use Whitedot R.98s for all my skiing. But I’m tempted to try some proper stiff and narrow piste skis, particularly on those days when the off piste is not so attractive and pistes are icy where piste skis would be more fun being able to hold and carve an edge at speed on steep pitches etc.

I’m looking for advice on:

How easy is it to hire good piste skis with bindings that can be adjusted for the thickness of touring soles?

If buying I assume that GS skis would be the best choice for fun and versatility? What would be a good choice of binding to accommodate touring soles. What would be the appropriate width under foot, sidecut and length for 68kg 165cm skier?

Thanks
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Depends what boots you have too, but these days there are plenty of piste-ski-suitable bindings that are Grip Walk compatible (often packaged as sets too).
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@clarky999, Tecnica Cochise Pro Light (booster strap added for extra stiffness)

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Mon 10-01-22 19:39; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Tricky. If you can use a gripwalk compatible binding then there are lots of options. The Marker piston plate will even take a GW compatible binding so you could get quite a high performance set up.

I'm not sure what the best option is if GW isn't an option. I'd probably look at something like a Black Crows Divus and put a Marker Griffon or Salomon Warden on there. Not a recommendation, mind, and I don't have experience of the ski but narrow piste skis without a system binding aren't exactly common these days.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@On the rocks, if you either have gripwalk soles on there or can get a replacement sole kit then you can rent or buy pretty much whatever you want.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Your boots need to have Gripwalk soles or a swappable alpine equivalent, then you can use any Gripwalk binding (wouldn't recommend Marker Griffon) for your Gripwalk soles, or if you have swappable alpine soles, then any binding *should* be fine
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
On the other hand, if you have full touring soles (unlikely I think on a Cochise?) or WTR soles, it will be very difficult especially for rentals.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@KenX, Thanks Ken. This is not as simple as I hoped. The soles on my Tecnica Cochise Pro Lights predate Gripwalk so wouldn’t be compatible. There are still Alpine soles available for my boots but they are quite a struggle to change over so not convenient if swapping skis often. My only option seems to be to get the most piste orientated skis I can in the flat with bindings that are compatible with my boots
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
My first step would be to call anything technical in Kendal and see whether they can put a GW sole on your older boot.

Kastle MX83 also a good option in the flat but it isn't cheap. The edge hold for something with an 83mm waist is unreal. I liked it a lot but the price made me want to hurl and I bought some Atomics instead. They're ok but it isn't the same.

Also Black Crows made a limited edition Vertis with metal in it a few years ago. There may be some still knocking round.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Without paying stupid money for the Kastle 83 or some Stockli's the best solution IMO, and one that I've done many times, is the Blizzard Brahma 82 c/w either Marker Griffon ID's/Warden MNC's/STH2 MNC's/Shift MNC's. This will give you superb hard snow performance with a cheater GS radius but that's still extremely versatile.

The only other option is buy a rail mounted performance piste/race ski that has a flat deck and ditch the rail system. The problem with that is you'll be on 70mm or less width underfoot so you're gonna need a plate/risers to avoid boot-out etc. Those types of skis are also a bit one-trick-pony and any benefit from a narrower waist is kinda lost as you're driving them in a touring boot.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Brahma 82 is a really good choice. I've experienced the best skiing process with them. I have 5 years of experience in general, so I know what I'm talking about. But in general, just be sure your boots are comfy and you won't suffer with them. Once I made a huge mistake and my feet hurt almost all the tour. Not the best experience in my life tbh. Now I'm very careful with choosing...but suffer anyway. No matter how many boots they make, most of them aren't good enough for me. But recently I've finally found appropriate shoes at forstepstyle online shop. That was exciting, you know...finally found what I like!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy