Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Total Newbie - questions - La Rosiere

Poster: A snowHead
Hi folks,

Never even been on skis before! Considering a week in La Rosiere either February half-term or the 1st week of the Easter half-term 2023.

I've read this is a great resort for snow in to April and as we are likely to ski just in the mornings, would this be a good area for our family?

When do bookings become available for next year?

Thank you! This may be the first of many posts!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Welcome to Snowheads, @laws777. snowHead You will get LOADS of replies. Some of which will suggest that although La Rosiere is quite high the south-facing slopes get rather mushy late in the season (and often rather hard and frozen in the mornings). I'd say that generally Easter would be better than half term, which will be very crowded and expensive in all French resorts as it coincides with French school holidays (for other countries the arguments and timings vary) but for Easter there are better resorts than La Rosiere.

If you give some idea of your budget, and the ages of your children, you'll get more focussed responses. Your choice of ski school - for you all - will be one of the most important decisions you make. If you only ski in the mornings, having a range of other activities for the afternoons will be important.

Doing some research on resorts now makes sense, so that you have some good ideas by the time bookings open in earnest later in the year.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Many thanks for your reply!
We're a family of 5 - husband has skiied a couple of times before. Kids will be 17, 15 and 13 by Easter next year and like you, I think I'm favouring that time over February, I keep reading about resorts being very busy.
We are really looking at a Club Med experience and love the look of that hotel, though second best to that one is Peisey Vallandry.
Looking for a real everything break, not all skiing - so Club Med seemed a good choice for that.
Appreciate any help from anyone!

Thank you!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I’ve skied La Ros at Easter. The snow can get, as mentioned, a bit soft in the afternoon, but not enough to spoil things (no guarantees, of course wink ). The South facing aspect can also mean sitting on a mountain restaurant terrace in glorious sunshine, enjoying lunch or a bit of late afternoon Apres ski.

It’s a great family resort, not too challenging and the learning pistes are pretty good/accessible. I’d have thought you’d be well served by Club Med.

La Ros isn’t huge. It’s not like being based in a town with plenty of other things to do. However, as relative newbies to skiing, I’m sure it would be fine - you’ll probably all be too pleasantly knackered to want/need loads of other things to do, outside of the Club Med offerings.

The ESF ski school used to have a British director, and were always quite pro-British with plenty of English-speaking instructors. I’ve only ever heard positive experiences from folk who used ESF for lessons. I certainly had no complaints, on a personal level. I should qualify that by stating that this was 15 years or so ago! Where did that time go…? Shocked

Anyway, La Ros has a good feel to it. There is ample skiing and, should you all progress well, there is also the added benefit of heading over to La Thuile on the Italian side.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I think you can get lessons as part of the package at Club Med - which is a good choice for a family of beginners. Lots going on. We had several family holidays in La Ros - but in cheap catered chalet (was before the days of Club Med) and certainly enjoyed it, though we went in the cheapest early January weeks. I've skied a lot at Easter in other resorts since - conditions do vary a good deal from year to year, even at high altitude.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Good point, pam w, I’m sure Club Med do indeed sort ski lessons as part of the package.

I think Evo2 were the other main ski school business in La Ros. They also have/had a good rep.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Club Med especially good for the teenagers, who can carry on partying with the people in their ski lessons (though of course French teenagers are likely to be pretty expert skiers already, and not in beginner lessons). It's expensive to pay for lessons in a snowdome prior to going to France, but if that's manageable within the budget, it would be worth doing.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The steep learning curve of beginner skiers, especially fit teenagers, is a huge pleasure. One day you can't ski, the next day you can. After a certain length of time, gaining each incremental increase in ability takes a lot more hard graft.

When my kids started there was absolutely no way we'd have been able to keep them off the slopes in the afternoons - it was a case of dragging them off as the light failed.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
La Ros is super-reliable for snow, although as above the south-facing slopes can get mushy in springtime. There are plenty of slopes facing in other directions as well though, once you start to cross towards Italy.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewpost.php?p=115560

This was a trip report on La Ros from someone I personally know and trust. Hope it also helps.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@laws777, welcome. La Rosiere is a great place for beginners to get to grips with skiing. We had a memorable holiday there with our daughter whose skiing progressed massively. Not absolutely sure now, but it was probably half term and it wasn't nearly as bad as many other places in France for queues. As people say there is a strong risk in April that the snow suffers, but to be honest it differs from year to year.

Because it links across to La Thuille in Italy, there is quite a lot of skiing once people get confident. A big incentive to our daughter was the prospect of skiing to another country! But beware, if the wind gets up it gets miserable crossing the pass.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
It's unlikely that a beginner family will get to Italy in their first week, especially if they're in lesson in the afternoon - and there's plenty of skiing without going over there.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@laws777
Club Med are fully inclusive, so you'll know exactly what the costs are (plus a bit for tips/hot chocolate on the mountain). This will include lessons/passes/ski equipment for all of you.

Not been to the new Club Med at La Rosiere - it should be great. I regularly go to the one at Peissey-Vallandry (roll on March - Yipee) and it's great

I'd encourage you to get the teens in there ski class as much as possible, and maybe just the parents drop out if you get knackered. As beginners you are likely to get left behind if you drop too many sessions

PS PM me if you want more info
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Wow! What a great and friendly response from you all! Thank you so much. I was hoping to wake up to a response or 2 but never expected such detailed, positive responses.

This has made me even more excited than I was! I really like the look of Club Med La Ros so to hear it may be suitable for us is great news. I'll compare pricing in Feb and April I think when the prices come out. Does anyone know when the season will become bookable?

We're intending on doing as many ski lessons before we go so we're familiar but all your tips on attending the lessons with Club Med are very helpful.

Thanks so much Snowhead Superstars!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hello @laws777,

I enjoyed our family holiday in La Rosiere, the first ski holiday for us after a gap of a few years. Though it was nearly 10 years ago now my report is here https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2212395&highlight=#2212395 if you are interested.
ski holidays
Just enjoyed a read of the trip reports. Thank you!

I think I'm set on La Ros but at risk of annoying the group with frequent posts, I may post a 'what's your favourite Club Med' question and see what other opinions I get.

Thanks again all.
ski holidays
Since those reports were written there has been many changes in La Rosiere. The Landeliers lift was taken out some time ago and replaced with a new one ( Plan du Repos) and a new area on mt Valezan has opened also. There has been a lot of development in La Rosiere/Les Eucherts and there is an ice rink and bowling alley in Les Eucherts, and if you want a fun drop off the side of a mountain, have a go at the Luge run (not for me Very Happy). Have a look at www.larosiere.net. I think it is still a friendly resort that is a good place to learn. April is a month when any weather happens, yes it can suffer from the sun in warm weather, but I have also been there when it has been cold and very, very snowy in April.
snow conditions
Thanks Dream Genie, more positive stuff to excite me most about La Rosiere. I shall have a look at that website!
latest report
Club Med - how very lovely if you live in a posh, money no object world.

La Roz is a good resort and probably nicer without Club Med - which is like a self contained prison (albeit a sumptuous one), takes profit from businesses in resort. The resort is a great place for beginners and kids and it is dead pretty. Get a VRBO or AirBnB and take in the place. It has some great accommodation.
In April you might not get the wind that can slam into the place in the colder months and you will enjoy the south facing slopes. Just beware as others have said that it can be like skiing in porridge on a warm afternoon near resort
ski holidays
Thanks for the opinions and suggestions. Will bear all in mind.
snow report
We have been to La Rosiere a few times. It has an excellent snow record and is very family orientated. If you are mainly thinking of skiing in the mornings the south facing aspect will not matter too much.

We skied past the new Club Med when it was being built two years ago and it is well located..right on the slopes but only a few paces from the resort centre. It would be a good choice if you want a catered holiday. The Club Med in Peisey is supposed to be good but is older.

There are also some very good newish self catering residences in La Rosiere. The Alparena apartments (which are part of the hotel by the same name) and Alpen Lodge. The Alparena hotel has a piste side restaurant you could ski back to at lunch so you wouldn't have to do much self catering.
snow report
I think it's a great place for a family holiday. We have been 5 times I think

My only concern, not for the kids, or hubby, who has skied before, is for you.

Generally younger people progress quite quickly. Older folks, less so.

La Ros used to be wonderful and quiet, but there has been huge developments in recent times and I have just googled Club Med. It looks fab, out of town, but lovely.

The beginner areas are decent, but the step up to next level of slope is quite big. Papillon from the Eucherts chair being the best bet. That said, if fitness and confidence is high then you will be flying as the ski schools are all 1st rate
latest report
Thanks Frosty! Your concerns are also my concerns though, if kids and hubby are happy, so will I be, even if that means the morning in the pool and not on the slopes!
Intentions would be to be with them and we'll invest time this year and the beginning of next to learn but if all else fails, the Club Med AI package will do me just fine!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy