Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Piste or Powder ?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
hang11, Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

VOE ?? Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ski in the powder, fly over the pistes?

http://youtube.com/v/7XCZf6jUnOQ
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
abc wrote:
.....I don't see 1st lift as necessary for going off the piste. In fact, the whole point of off piste is to be away from others so there's no competition....

You've obviously never been in the likes of Chamonix after an overnight dump, nigh on fist fights!

@Judwin, I realise this isn't going to be a widely held or popular view here, but... Laughing

When you live and have spent more than a few seasons in a resort you tend to be rather selective as to when you go up the hill.

You tend not to lunch on the Mountain, though we are actually doing that today as it's a Geezonaires lunch being a Friday, but mainly because it's empty up there this week!

We nigh on dread friends coming out for their "week", as we know that they'll be so enthusiastic, in that they'll want to ski all day, no matter what the conditions!

And yes, I am in the minority when it comes to trudging up the Mountain, but I have introduced quite a few people to it and they too now appreciate getting away from the hordes and more often than not frequently scoring lines that many can only fantasise about in their skiing careers'.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Weathercam wrote:
abc wrote:
.....I don't see 1st lift as necessary for going off the piste. In fact, the whole point of off piste is to be away from others so there's no competition....

You've obviously never been in the likes of Chamonix after an overnight dump, nigh on fist fights!

Not just Chamonix - it's true in most of the big French resorts after even a moderate dump. Complete bun fight at the lifts from 8am onwards with the ruck-sack, AVI and helmet brigade. Then 9-9:30am is all the ski school instructors trying to herd their 'cats'. 10am, and something approaching civilisation resumes.

Weathercam wrote:

@Judwin, I realise this isn't going to be a widely held or popular view here, but... Laughing

When you live and have spent more than a few seasons in a resort you tend to be rather selective as to when you go up the hill.

You tend not to lunch on the Mountain, though we are actually doing that today as it's a Geezonaires lunch being a Friday, but mainly because it's empty up there this week!

We nigh on dread friends coming out for their "week", as we know that they'll be so enthusiastic, in that they'll want to ski all day, no matter what the conditions!

And yes, I am in the minority when it comes to trudging up the Mountain, but I have introduced quite a few people to it and they too now appreciate getting away from the hordes and more often than not frequently scoring lines that many can only fantasise about in their skiing careers'.

I accept all that. Never done a season, and probably too late to do one now. We normally go for 2 weeks at a time, so we can pick and choose the days we want to ski hard based on the weather forecast. We're middle aged, overweight and not anywhere close to being fit enough to ski all day every day. The idea of expending energy fighting gravity instead of using it to assist a descent doesn't appeal, but each to their own.

Our normal day would be start at 10, and ski an hour till Elevensis. After that ski an hour before a long lunch somewhere nice up the mountain (Edelweiss, Peau de Vache, Lo Soli, La Boudia) . Then we ski right through - till Tiffin. And finally last run(s) home. However, if the weather is foul then we might skip lunch or tiffin to ski some good on-piste off-piste, and just accept tomorrow will be a write-off due to aching legs.

As I said my views may not be widely held here snowHead
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I don’t yet have the knowledge, know how or equipment to make proper off-piste fun or safe, so for me it’s piste skiing. However, I’m now lucky to live in a ski area, so I intend for this to change. I still have to work Mon-Fri so I don’t get a complete free pick of the conditions or when I go out, but I realise I’m very lucky. For me I’m enjoying just being able to ski more regularly. Bit by bit I’ll increase my equipment, knowledge and know how and I have to say I think I’ll be loving off-piste.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Judwin wrote:
Weathercam wrote:
abc wrote:

Not just Chamonix - it's true in most of the big French resorts after even a moderate dump. Complete bun fight at the lifts from 8am onwards with the ruck-sack, AVI and helmet brigade. Then 9-9:30am is all the ski school instructors trying to herd their 'cats'. 10am, and something approaching civilisation resumes.

I wouldn't want to be in an area where there's other groups above me on an off piste route.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy