Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Passport: Need 3 Months Post Visit

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Am I correct in thinking I need to have 3 months validity after I return from France? The Government did have a 'validity calculator' but they took it down. I had seen suggestion that you need 6 months.

I did look at the check yer passport thread, but that seemed mainly about being caught out by the quirks of when you renewed last time. Thanks.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Charliegolf, I'm fairly certain it is 3 months. I know my daughters' passports run out this summer and I remember looking into it and coming to the conclusion I can get their new ones after we come back from skiing in Feb.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Makes a change from "when can I go to France" I suppose. Good thread start @Charliegolf, Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Timmycb5, Cheers. That is my understanding, but the 6 month thing woulda meant a quickie visit to Newport!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I assume you are on a UK passport?

Is this for them to let you out of France or back in the UK.

Ive never heard of needing any fixed validity to be let back into the country of which you hold a passport for.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@ster, for going to France, or anywhere in the EU. If you have a UK passport, it needs to have at least 3 months of validity after the date you are due to return.

@Charliegolf, I've just remembered, there is some other rule about when you applied for the passport renewal. I.e. if you renewed your passport when your old one still had, say 3 months left to expire, and they add that time on to your passport, so it has 10 years and 3 months, then you need to have 6 months validity.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I thought 3 months was enough - but then I read on here that someone got turned away at the airport because 3 months was in the extended months they got added when they renewed the passport (they don’t do that anymore). Always look at 10 years from the passport start date as the expiry date. I didn’t want to risk it so renewed anyway. There is a check facility on the gov website.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Timmycb5, I know you need 6 months validity when going but I wasnt clear at what point the OP meant by “after I return from France”, thus my question.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@ster, I think the point is that it’s 3 months from the return date, no the outbound date.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I checked this only two days ago -- It is 3 months, but with a passport less than 10 years old

for France (but presumably for the whole of the EU)

"Your passport must meet 2 requirements. It must be:

less than 10 years old on the day you enter (check the ‘date of issue’)
valid for at least 3 months after the day you plan to leave (check the ‘expiry date’)"
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I think i'm ok on the extra months thing, cheers all. Mine has no extra months, and fits @albob,'s extract.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Timmycb5 wrote:
@Charliegolf, I've just remembered, there is some other rule about when you applied for the passport renewal. I.e. if you renewed your passport when your old one still had, say 3 months left to expire, and they add that time on to your passport, so it has 10 years and 3 months, then you need to have 6 months validity.

Sadly from Sep 2018 the UK passport office no longer add any unexpired time from your old passport to your replacement passport (i.e. you might have paid for 10 years, but you don't actually achieve that anymore if you need to renew it...)
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
oui4ski wrote:
Timmycb5 wrote:

Sadly from Sep 2018 the UK passport office no longer add any unexpired time from your old passport to your replacement passport (i.e. you might have paid for 10 years, but you don't actually achieve that anymore if you need to renew it...)

Correct - so any passport now is only valid for travel to the EU for 10 years up to AFTER the issue date.

I have this gotcha. My Issue date, 24/6/2017, Expiry Date 24/8/2027, so I cannot enter the EU on this passport if my return date is after 24/3/2027.

I've put a reminder in my diary.... Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy