Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Weekends

Poster: A snowHead
Does anybody have recommendations for some tried and tested ski weekend destinations travelling from London? I'm looking to maximise efficiency so looking for quick transfer times, late flight times (or overnight snow train?) late check-ins / check outs from accomodation and most importantly, lots of good skiing Very Happy
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Chaz, for short transfers look at resorts close to Innsbruck, Salzburg, Zurich and Geneva.

From there you have literally hundreds of options, but i'll give you a few. Then just start looking for hotels/accomodation in the area:

Geneva:
Chamonix
Portes du Soleil (any number of villages)
Grand Massif (again a number of villages)
La Clusaz/Le Grand Bornand

There's also Swiss resort options, I just don't know that side as well.
Geneva is particularly handy for a number of cheap shared transfers to resorts, particularly french resorts. In Switzerland, the public transport can get you right in to resort.

Innsbruck:
You could just stay in Innsbruck and bus up to a different area every day.
For a slightly further journey and skiing in one area:
Mayrhofen
St Anton
Ischgl

Salzburg:
Any village within the ski Amade area
https://www.skiamade.com/en

Zurich:
Engelberg
Most likely many others as well.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
From experience, Innsbruck and Salzburg don't have many flights so often don't work (this year the Innsbruck flights I could find were ~11AM), so have focused on Geneva, Zurich, or Munich. I don't know much about Italy but Turin/Milan might work too! To add to @swskier's list:

Zurich:
Andermatt (train)

Munich:
Will need to hire a car as the airport is a way out of town
Garmisch
Zillertal
And other resorts near Mayrhofen
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Add Megeve/St Gervais to the list
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Zurich is good.

Arosa & Davos are easy & cheap transfers via rail
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I've done:

GVA : PDS, Chamonix, St G/Megeve/Les C
Milan : Champoluc, Alagna
Turin : Sestriere/Sauze d'oulx
Innsbruck : Obergurgl, Solda
Zurich :Engelberg/Flims/Laax/Murren
Munich : Kitzbuhel

This is in no way exhaustive but those are the ones I have done and enjoyed. Of the list Solda and Murren are at the long end of transfers for a weekend.
In general I would always try to do 3 or 4 days rather than 2. Just much less hectic and better VFM
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
This season not a good bet due to airlines pulling optimal flights (often at inadequate notice) plus general Vidadminballache. I used to do Engelberg quite frequently into Basle but the best flights seemed to change. Turin and Milan are good for just about anywhere in N Italy, INN is literally in the mountains so throw a rock. LYS surprisingly good for L2A/AlpDH. Renting a car, which has also become more expensive post vid is often a sanity maker (allows late afternoon/evening flight ex UK and similar return without stressing about missing trains/transfers).
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Chaz, Are you strictly weekend (i.e. out after work on Friday, home after pistes close on Sunday) or an extended weekend e.g. after work on Thursday, home late Sunday or Monday?

For Switzerland you could also do Crans Montana or Verbier.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks all for these amazing tips! @halfhand Late Thursday to late Monday is exactly what I’m planning. Munich seems to be coming out on top in terms of best value flights with plenty of times available at the moment… and I’ve never skied Kitzbuhel before so that is tempting. I’m going to keep investigating with the tips above and let you all know what I end up with
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Chaz, I'd have thought Geneva still has best flight /transfer infrastructure.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Chaz, How many in the party?

If there's only 1 or 2 of you, you need to look at public transport or shared transfers. If there's 4 or more taxis become affordable which gives you more scope.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Barcelona always worked well for me for short solo trips, usually to Andorra.
Evening flight after work then hire a car and drive up, slightly longer drive but it's a breeze and car hire is extremely cheap out of Barca in winter, the last day was usually a full day skiing before driving back for another evening flight.
Geneva for Avoriaz also worked well- free parking at Prodains Gondola.
Lots of choices from Munich, step of the train and onto the gondola at Kitz, lockers in the station for a quick change!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hi all,

Thought I'd update with my experience in case it's useful to anyone:

We decided to do a Thursday to Monday trip to Chamonix, booked via Ski Zoom with late easyJet flights from Luton to Geneva and a private transfer with Alps2Alps.

All in all it was an excellent outbound experience. I only booked ski carriage (20kgs) with easyjet and managed to pack all my gear in my ski bag with helmet and other things I definitely didn't want to lose in my free "under seat" carry on, however on a few easyJet flights now I've noticed that the further back you sit, the less likely it is that anyone has paid to put their bags in the overhead lockers, so they are free to use anyway. Due to arriving late in the day there was no queue at all at Geneva border control and my ski bag was already waiting for me once I'd got through (which took probably all of 5 minutes). The driver from Alps2Alps was also ready and waiting and we got to Chamonix in no time.

We stayed at Hotel Le Labrador, about a 5-10 minute walk from the Les Praz Flegere lift and more importantly a less than 5 minute walk from the bus stop and loud apres vibes served up at Le Castel hotel and restaurant. The hotel was ideal for a short stay, and were were able to check out Monday morning, leave our bags by reception, ski all day, then shower in the spa room before getting our transfer back.

The worst part of the journey was that Alps2Alps failed to show for the return transfer and the enormous queue to Luton border control, but all in all a decent trip!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'm an advocate for the Luton-Geneva flight route, then a short(ish) transfer as possible. Been to Chamonix, Les Gets, L2A (longer transfer but hired a car for it) and heading to Morzine/Avoriaz next month but for a full week.

Also flown into Malpensa for weekend trip to Cervinia, which wasn't a bad transfer.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Just to repeat what many others have shown as their past weekend jaunts

Geneva (from both Luton and Gatwick): Morzine, Morrilon, St Gervais, Chamonix
Innsbruck: Obergurgl
Salzburg: Schladming

There are certainly even more options than this (for example, many of the locations I mentioned are part of large areas with multiple villages), but I only get 1 sneaky weekend per year Smile

What I would say... and this depends how "Hardcore" you are.... I don't bother with early check-in/late check-out for apartments and hotels. I hire a car (quicker transfer) and get changed in the back-seat.
Many times... I have got changed in the hirecar carpark of Geneva airport!!!
ski holidays
Munich is very well connected to many Austrian resorts by train, usually plenty of flights also.
ski holidays
Chaz wrote:
Hi all,

Thought I'd update with my experience in case it's useful to anyone:

We decided to do a Thursday to Monday trip to Chamonix, booked via Ski Zoom with late easyJet flights from Luton to Geneva and a private transfer with Alps2Alps.

All in all it was an excellent outbound experience. I only booked ski carriage (20kgs) with easyjet and managed to pack all my gear in my ski bag with helmet and other things I definitely didn't want to lose in my free "under seat" carry on, however on a few easyJet flights now I've noticed that the further back you sit, the less likely it is that anyone has paid to put their bags in the overhead lockers, so they are free to use anyway. Due to arriving late in the day there was no queue at all at Geneva border control and my ski bag was already waiting for me once I'd got through (which took probably all of 5 minutes). The driver from Alps2Alps was also ready and waiting and we got to Chamonix in no time.

We stayed at Hotel Le Labrador, about a 5-10 minute walk from the Les Praz Flegere lift and more importantly a less than 5 minute walk from the bus stop and loud apres vibes served up at Le Castel hotel and restaurant. The hotel was ideal for a short stay, and were were able to check out Monday morning, leave our bags by reception, ski all day, then shower in the spa room before getting our transfer back.

The worst part of the journey was that Alps2Alps failed to show for the return transfer and the enormous queue to Luton border control, but all in all a decent trip!

I would advise no one books with Alps2Alps - I have many friends running legit transfer companies here and Alps2Alps are certainly not legit. Their vans usually don't have the correct licences or paperwork for transport/entering geneva and recently their staff accom was raided by police and 30 odd drivers sent back to Latvia. I've heard their drivers sometimes do 18 hour shifts as well!
ski holidays
halfhand wrote:
@Chaz, Are you strictly weekend (i.e. out after work on Friday, home after pistes close on Sunday) or an extended weekend e.g. after work on Thursday, home late Sunday or Monday?

For Switzerland you could also do Crans Montana or Verbier.

I was just about to book accommodation in Sierre and lift passes for Crans-Montana for Monday 7th - Friday 11th March, when I stumbled across a page on their news section, that the funiculaire from Sierre will be out of action from... Monday 7th March.

There will be a bus replacement service running by the looks of things, but might make a difference to some people. It might make a difference to me. I've not decided yet!
snow report
I prefer to set off from London in the car on Thu lunchtime, drive to the 4 Valleys in Switzerland and ski Fri, Sat and Sun. Driving back to London on the Sunday evening.

Went to Samoens one weekend and the drive time was even shorter.

There are other resorts that are nearer.

Used to do this solo but now can only do it if sharing the driving.

Although the driving is not to everyone’s taste, it is not that much longer door-to-door than taking a leisurely flight from a non-local airport.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy