Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tell me about Squire bindings...

Poster: A snowHead
OK...got into a lot of binding fiddling this evening...just a general sort out in the workshop. I am very familiar with Salomon bindings, and know when they are playing up. We always discard bindings which are out of warranty, since they know what they are doing with materials. But I have had scant experience with Marker, other than Griffons. The Griffons have a very different release mode for the rear bindings. compared with Salomon....they have an elastic phase, I assume designed in to cope with near-DIN-settings forces which might be a pre-release, and this is very different from the CLOSED......OPEN!!! snap kind of release of Salomon bindings. The Squires seem to be different again, and I am unsure whether they are OK. They are on some three-year old demo skis which came to us, so not fully known history. The release is in almost three distinct phases - an initial release in which the heel piece moves about 10mm, but does not fully release the boot, then an elastic phase of about 5mm, then another quite stiff arc to release the boot fully. Does anyone know whether this is right? It just feels weird...
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@valais2, A pair of my daughters skis have squires fitted. They run very high forward pressures, which need to be correct or they pre release. With any snow on the bottom of your boot they are a complete pain to get your boot in, especially off piste. Releasing them and stepping in sounds like and feels like they have broken, but they have not, thats how they they seem to work, and its a different heel to the griffons. Have not really looked exactly how they release, and they are not here to look at, but in our cave, so sorry but can't say much more, but they are a bit odd.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
thanks Zorrac (great name btw) - that seems to be consistent with what I am experiencing here.....many thanks
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Squire's are great for lighter/less aggressive skiers. It's the lowest spec alpine binding I offer but still has good lateral and vertical eleasticity and they're sub 800g per ski which is great when mountain on all mountian skis for juniors and ladies etc. And they run a lot less forward pressure than Griffons so they're easy to click in to - I've never received any compaints as per Zorrac's comments above.

Very good value for money too.

And yes, the heel release is different to Salomon heels as the din spring is inside the cocking lever as opposed to being within the binding housing. And everyone I've torque tested has been well within tolerance.

The original Squire heel made a disconcerting 'cracking' noise when opened/closed which sounded like something had broken - but they were fine. But this 'feature' was tweaked when the ID version was launched. And even though the original Squire had a height adjustable AFD it'll only fit alpine soles with the adjustment being their to accomodate boot sole wear.

The ID toe'd version came out a good few years ago and was great as it accomodated any boot sole type but for this 21/22 season Marker have made the toe alpine/GripWalk only which is a shame for anyone that wanted a resort based ski but wanted to use an AT boot. This might only be a small proportion of the overall market but it's a big proportion of my market so when I heard about this I stocked up on the ID version whilst they were still available. The Salomon Warden 11 MNC was the Squire ID's direct competitor so they'll get all of that business now but it was handy having a choice as the mounting patterns are different so I could pretty much always get a solution when mounting of predrilled skis.

So basically they just work and I've sold loads of 'em over the years and never had one issue. But big/heavy/aggressive skiers should go for a higher spec model.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Jon VERY many thanks. Can see the frustration for you when a key feature is removed from a binding - understand entirely that being able to choose between different mounting patterns was a real asset.
A further question - our skis have NOT travelled open to the elements to and fro Switzerland but they do sit on the roof when driving from one village to another, and can get some road spray on the short main road sections. Should we aim to lubricate the bindings every so often? And if yes, with what? Some in the USA say 'never', some say 'never with anything apart from silicone spray' (Tognar) and some say 'silicone spray just breaks down the remaining grease and makes things worse...' - what's your take?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@spyderjon, we've been running them (IDs) as dailies for 6 "seasons" now, both with touring boots. No problems other than the one that broke (!!)
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@under a new name, was the broken one red?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Oh no … have I now got to worry what colour my bindings are? Like the exploding orange Tecnicas are red ones more prone to failure?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
valais2 wrote:
Oh no … have I now got to worry what colour my bindings are? Like the exploding orange Tecnicas are red ones more prone to failure?

The orange Technicas explode!!!! Shocked Shocked no one told me!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
MidgetB - yep they were the Tecnica ICONs - top of the range boot - wrong pigment in a specific batch, and so the plastic didn't like low temps - BANG....they went. And suddenly.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@spyderjon, yes, and apparently not the only one my supplier had seen.

Replaced very happily and now 5-6 years old no probs.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
valais2 wrote:
MidgetB - yep they were the Tecnica ICONs - top of the range boot - wrong pigment in a specific batch, and so the plastic didn't like low temps - BANG....they went. And suddenly.

No, the exploding ones were the TNT AVS and came before the ICONs - both actually were a whole range of boots. The AVS came in a lighter orange, a bit like the actual models which is btw the classic Tecnica colour. To mark the difference from the faulty ones the ICONs had a darker metallic tint.

Faulty ones:
http://www.rpk4.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/1990/1995-1996-tecnica-tnt-avs-boot.jpg

http://youtube.com/v/jyuE7Sk8ZYU

Later ICONs:

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/NXsAAOSwopFfGGIA/s-l640.jpg

I actually do ski a pair of ICONs to this day. About 20 years, couple of hundred days. They are still fine.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Tristero, I've seen a good number of failed Icons as well. There's no way I'd be skiing in a 20 yr old pair - it's not a matter of if, just when!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Indeed Spyderjon - and Tristero I really like the understated nature of that video - if only all current YouTube content was as amusing and droll....
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Indeed Spyderjon - and Tristero I really like the understated nature of that video - if only all current YouTube content was as amusing and droll....
snow conditions
spyderjon wrote:
@Tristero, I've seen a good number of failed Icons as well. There's no way I'd be skiing in a 20 yr old pair - it's not a matter of if, just when!

Really? Maybe. I haven't, though. Nor has Google... It's a whole different ballgame with the TNT AVS. They had a structural problem with the formulation of the shell, which made them fall apart within weeks of use. That's why you can't find them second hand. Unlike tons of ICONs.

Will they break in the end? Sure. We all will. So, what? At one point they will develop cracks and then it's time to get something new. I'll happily ski them until then.
latest report
@Tristero, I was skiing with a very experienced French friend and his Nordicas were squeaking a lot…well…one of them was. I asked ‘what is it with the mouse in the boot’ and he said - ‘…well they have had a big crack in them for a couple of years..’ and blimey they did…right from the sole to the second buckle. He continued skiing with them like that until he got fed up with me nagging and took some Dobermanns off me….
snow report
I had a lot of issues with the squires when switching altitudes. You get on a gondola in the village at above freezing point, and then get off at the summit where it's much colder. In the meantime water has frozen inside the binding somewhere and it becomes impossible to click into them. I ended up having to breathe on the bindings to get them to defrost.

This is a bit of an annoyance at the top of a gondola, but if a ski came off in deep powder off piste it could be a very bad day.
snow report
@wineandfondue, my old (2016) Squires require a lot more force to put on than my 2022 ones. I think the brake has something to do with it.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy