Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What do you think about when skiing / boarding ?

Poster: A snowHead
We were having this conversation a few days ago after a morning of piste skiing, as conditions off-piste have been a big fat "Non".

Obviously, it's different for everyone, though most of our team did say that they continually think about how they are skiing, and after yesterday's brush with avalanche debris when skiing off-piste one does not tend to think so much about technique but potential obstacles and where to make the next turn Laughing

OH wrote a quick blog on the subject
https://stylealtitude.com/what-do-you-think-about-when-you-are-skiing.html
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Leaving a perfect pencil-line on the next turn.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I go skiing (and all other gravity/flow sports) to not think!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Any combination of something, nothing and 110% concentration to instinctive personal preservation/WTF did I just do to get out of that?

Don't know how much you know of the concept of 'Flow State' but there is something to the idea of getting the best performance out of yourself by disconnecting the thought part of your brain from the action.

If you really want to go deeper, try reading 'Rise of the Superman' by Steven Kotler (which sounds like some bad superhero fiction, or something REALLY suspect if it was published in 1932 - its neither)
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Sing to myself in time with the turns. ( it’s ok no one can hear me!)
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Usually something really profound long the lines of "please God don't let me crash"
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Either nothing at all, or my technique, or 'bloody hell my kids are so fast I can't hope to keep up'.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Errr not sure really but the next time I'll be sure to think of this thread and report back.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
What @clarky999, @Richard_Sideways, say would be what I aspire to. I'm no where near achieving it; just brief glimpses. Mostly it's "Whaaa! S4it!..."

Or "Is it coffee o'clock yet?"
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Off piste - where's the best line?

On piste - how do I keep myself safe from these bellends/ naviagte this human slalom?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I’m with @clarky999, @Richard_Sideways, @adithorp - flow is the goal.

I’ve had excellent lessons with Derek Tate (BASS Chamonix, IASI) who is also very interested in flow from a general sports performance perspective. In fact, I’ve just yesterday ordered his book which about tricks to get into flow state while doing activities (Learn, Enjoy, Flow, and Grow). Looking forward to reading it and seeing whether it helps…
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Weathercam, cant remember off hand, but its not about skiing - that should come naturally Madeye-Smiley Maybe looking around surroundings and potential risks.

Richard_Sideways, pretty much bang on I think.

On a simiiar vein - all those who do think about skiing when they are - do you think about driving when you're driving ? Or do you just do it ?
The same with running, cycling etc.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
... or the "F*** this for a game of soldiers" normally about Day 3...

Quote:

do you think about driving when you're driving

Hmm, interesting. When I'm driving 'normally' no, i'm not thinking about it until something 'occurs' to snap you back into it. If I'm driving competitively, then its more concentration on the course, and the feedback from the car, the seat-of-the-pants sensation and sound but again its concentration at 110% time and being really dialled in.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Bones wrote:
Weathercam, cant remember off hand, but its not about skiing - that should come naturally Madeye-Smiley Maybe looking around surroundings and potential risks.

Richard_Sideways, pretty much bang on I think.

On a simiiar vein - all those who do think about skiing when they are - do you think about driving when you're driving ? Or do you just do it ?
The same with running, cycling etc.

If I'd been on skis for as many hours as I'd been behind the wheel, then I wouldn't be thinking about my technique.

To be fair, I probably don't think much about it. The only 2 things I might think of is 1) if I managed to carve, or did it slip into a skid, or 2) I have a female Scottish voice (Lisa from TSI in Les Gets) in my head telling me to bring my downward/outward leg forward and to bend my knee.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Also a (quietish) singer here. Seems to help breathing and concentration, stops me getting distracted. Tempo and song choice depend on the time of day and difficulty of the run.

Top choices: Oh, What a Beautiful Morning, obvs. Also What the World Needs Now (Dionne Warwick version) on quiet slopes, Blame it on the Boogie for busier ones.

Inspired by a ski instructor in Alpe d'Huez who used to sing This is the Rhythm of the Ski at the top of his voice going down the reds.
snow report
Technique
ski holidays
Something along the lines of: 'woosh, woosh, oh s*it people, woosh, ooo pretty view, woosh, why can't i keep up dammit'

My mind kind if marks every turn with a 'woosh' in a meditation kind of way.

Being a not great skier, the 'oh sh*t' moments multiply as it gets steeper/more icy. My aim is to improve enough for those to be 'woosh' as well. Laughing
snow report
Mainly how to avoid dying. Or looking foolish.

And then have thoughts about technique.

Sometimes about lunch.

If it’s music then it always seems to be the Wallace and Gromit theme. I thank my niece for that.
ski holidays
Good light hearted post for once Very Happy

"Don't catch an edge at this speed"
"Look at that Ski Jacket.....urrrgghhh"
"I hope I dont ski like that......."
"I hope I do ski like that.........."
"for god sake I need to get past these..."
latest report
I hope my back holds up!

It's fantastic to be here - Mountains; Friends; Mountain restaurants; Evening drink by log fire.

Those turns could be better.

Why do I have to leave, just as I'm starting to ski much better?
latest report
Gaz_H wrote:

I'm intrigued as to what might cause this. I normally go "the colour of the jacket is hideous. I want one!".

I'm currently sporting a dayglo yellow jacket and bright blue salopettes.
snow report
Re flow and everything, does anyone remember “Inner Skiing”. Massive eighties read, I think “inner Golf” came out first.
When I am skiing, I usually think about the beautiful views - just love those mountain views so much!
ski holidays
Inboard wrote:

I’ve had excellent lessons with Derek Tate (BASS Chamonix, IASI) who is also very interested in flow from a general sports performance perspective. In fact, I’ve just yesterday ordered his book which about tricks to get into flow state while doing activities (Learn, Enjoy, Flow, and Grow). Looking forward to reading it and seeing whether it helps…

It features quite a lot in our manuals, the idea of flow.
latest report
Timmycb5 wrote:
Gaz_H wrote:

I'm intrigued as to what might cause this. I normally go "the colour of the jacket is hideous. I want one!".

Haha - I used to have an all-in-one back in the 80’s which was totally day-glo and I must add, highly fashionable back then hahahaha! In recent years, I have enjoyed looking out for “That Jacket” whenever skiing in an area frequented by Brits. It was a men’s ski jacket from Mountain Warehouse which was red, little boxes of different reds pattern, and obviously had been on offer (like most of their products) for about twenty five quid at one point. It could be spotted quite a lot, particularly in Austria, but also France and at one point, I nearly drew up a scorecard for this little game…!!
snow conditions
Timmycb5 wrote:
Gaz_H wrote:

We used to have a Jacket of the week competition - not ours but dodgy ones we spot - Andorra was the style capital by far. BTW - I also sport a Flo Green Jacket and Bright blue Salopettes too
snow report
Timmycb5 wrote:

I went Neon Green in the 80s. Then went Yellow and Black and then Red and Black.....but have now just got some Electric Blue Ski Pants and Miss Fartbagette has also got some Lipstick Pink ones - both from TK Maxx. We need more brightness in our lives at the moment.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Tue 11-01-22 11:57; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
Off piste - where's the best line?

On piste - how do I keep myself safe from these bellends/ naviagte this human slalom?

This
snow conditions
Hurtle wrote:
Technique

By New Order?

Great album wink

On the music tip I've discovered that a mix of Good Times and Rapper's Delight (which of course heavily sampled the great Rodgers/Edwards composition) is perfect for most conditions like small bumps or windbuff hunting.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
A little bit about how I'm skiing but mainly that life is good, I love the mountains, don't sweat the small stuff and how godd the first beer or wine will taste that evening
snow conditions
I must admit that one of the appeals about skiing is that it's pretty much totally absorbing and really "in the moment".
latest report
I whistle songs quietly in time to the rhythm of the skiing
snow report
NoStyle - ah….interesting contrasts…for me….

1 chris hadfield - an astronaut’s guide to life
Sweat the small stuff
So I do
Forward pressure, stick length, layers, … makes me very neurotic…

2 the mountains
Yes I love being here
But oh how they have changed because of climate change
And I think about that A LOT (and what I am and should do), remember to watch Juice Media, think about what I should, not just expect others to do

3 beer and wine
Not any more.
Don’t sleep if I have it. And I need my sleep.
Insomniac partner definitely does not help.

UANN
Absolutely.
latest report
Years back someone I was skiing with came out with "I wonder what the poor people are doing today?" (might be a quote from somewhere?)

My response was "they're skiing with you today mate!"
snow report
GeorgeVII wrote:
Years back someone I was skiing with came out with "I wonder what the poor people are doing today?" (might be a quote from somewhere?)

My response was "they're skiing with you today mate!"

That tickles me pink Laughing

Apparently it's a phrase used in a self deprecating way in the Southern US by people of simple means who do something extravagant.
latest report
Amber Heard.....................when the wife doesn't tell me what to think. wink
snow conditions
When things get tricky I try to think of ONE crucial thing I need to do (that's often not to drop my uphill hand) but when it's not tricky, which is mostly, given my style of skiing, I try to just stay in the moment and enjoy it. I listen to music a lot - very eclectic mix, but always with rhythm. I suspect that much of the time I ski better if I DON'T think too much about technique - which is usually because I'm well within my comfort zone.

Zen is, as we all know, the art of doing what you're doing. I find the same beneficial impact with sailing - you don't think of much outside the bubble of the boat and the forces which are working on it. Including (if it's a smallish boat) you sitting in the wrong place. And whether the effort of going down below and making a coffee and finding a chocolate biscuit is worth the risk of feeling sick (though of course you have always thought ahead and have everything you need easy to hand, not buried in a locker!). And about whether you REALLY, REALLY need to pee - always a mission whether you are in ski gear or sailing gear. The thoughts are not necessarily elevated sort of thoughts - but all about the moment.
snow conditions
Unless I'm hacking down eyeballs out, then thinking about various things is fine. The only sport I've done that requires 100% mental focus is trackdaying my motorbike, particularly if you are competitive, if you're approaching a bend at say 140mph and you want to brake at the last possible second as you can't get around above say 80mph, then you don't have any time to lose focus. Unless you want to eat dirt. Mad
ski holidays
"Where the cluck is she?" Very Happy
snow conditions
Wtf am I doing here.

Shall I go have a vin chaux?

Should we rejoin the EU?

Oh this is fun!!!

NOOOOOOO MOGELLL
snow report
“I’m going to fall”; “Crap what if I break my leg”; “Why have you stopped in the middle of the piste for a chat/to take a photo - MOVE!!”. Or is my son going to randomly go off piste. I worry constantly. Which explains why I’m such a nervous skier. But I love it at the same time. It’s like an abusive relationship Eh oh! .
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy