Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

cash or card whilst in Austria these days?

Poster: A snowHead
In general there are no "free" cashpoints here. Unlike in the UK any withdrawal using a machine from a bank you are not a customer of attracts a fee, usually a minimum of €5. This affects non locals too, so you would be charged the €5 on top of any charges your own bank levies. better to use Revolut or similar, at least then you are withdrawing from a Euro account. I have a German Sparkasse account but if I use an Austrian Sparkasse machine I will have to pay a charge.

Yesterday in Skiwelt no issue paying with a card in the restaurant I stopped at (as has been the case for a while) but there was a "bar" for coffee, beer etc with a separate counter and that was cash only (you could go to the main till and get the same items)
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
As I understand it, post Brexit Austrian ATMs have started levying a surcharge on withdrawals using a UK card..I now always take cash out of an ATM using my local Austrian card.

However using a UK debit card for payments as opposed to cash withdrawals (Supermarket etc) doesn't seem (yet?) to incur extra charges.

Avoid using UK Credit cards here in Austria, however, if possible as the post Brexit charges are eyewatering..
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
As I understand it, post Brexit Austrian ATMs have started levying a surcharge on withdrawals using a UK card..I now always take cash out of an ATM using my local Austrian card.

However using a UK debit card for payments as opposed to cash withdrawals (Supermarket etc) doesn't seem (yet?) to incur extra charges.

Avoid using UK Credit cards here in Austria, however, if possible as the post Brexit charges are eyewatering..
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Just back on Saturday from Obergurgl/Solden. Lots of signs asking for contactless in resort, but mountain catering was about 50/50 contactless/card. I was charged €2.60 for a €40 withdrawal from a Monzo card.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Bergsteiger278, surely it is the UK credit card company that Levys charges...or are you saying Austrian businesses are adding a surcharge when processing the payment?

Examples?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I think it is the EU (here Austrian) counterparty bank (ie the retailer's bank) which, post Brexit, levies the charges on usage of UK credit cards, which are then passed on + a an uplift by the UK credit card company to its customer. However, banking was not my field and other contributors may know more exactly. Be that as it may, the net result is, post Brexit, very high charges for use of UK credit cards in Austria. (Fyi mine is a Mastercard). As I stated earlier, for some reason, these charges don't yet seem to apply to UK debit card usage. Once/if they do, I'll personally switch to using my local Sparkasse card for all transactions. But, 95% of contributors on here wouldn't have that option.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
To be clear, use of UK debit cards to withdraw cash, is also, post Brexit, now charged here - Cardweg's post above refers. Only the use of UK debit cards for retail transactions seems (at least in my case) not to incur charges.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I’m not clear from all the above if it’s just ATM withdrawals or are retail purchases with UK credit cards also getting hit with the surcharges?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I am using a Mastercard, issued by an Australian bank, in St Anton. No surcharges for purchases so far.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ulmerhutte I've no idea what banking arrangements are in place between the EU & Australia but presumably they weren't impacted by Brexit! As for all the UK based travellers active on this forum..I'd check with your bank/credit card company what charges apply, before using cards out here. I've set out my experience/undertanding in detail and have nothing to add ... besides I'm off skiing now, there's been a huge dump of snow..
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I used a Sparkasse cashpoint in Bad Gastein twice last week and was charged nothing extra when using my Starling Bank card. A friend of mine who also has a Starling account was however going to be charged 4.95 Euros for a similar transaction. We don't understand what possible difference there was apart from the fact I've had my account somewhat longer. I'm not complaining though! Curiously the OBB bank in the same resort wanted to charge me 2.80 for a withdrawal - obviously I declined and went back to Sparkasse!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I found this last week in St Johann. I have had my Halifax Clarity card for years, always deal in Euro's etc.
Raiffesenbank wanteed to charge 5euro for a transaction, went back to the Hipol Tyrol bank I used before in a strop and being more aware tgis time I was charged there too. I ignored the warning first time thinking that it only applied if I was wanting billed in £ instead of euro. Not chuffed at all.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I've just been in Mayrhofen and lots of places are cash only, especially on the mountain so definitely take some cash.
The ATM wanted about €4 for withdrawals.

I use more actual cash in a few days in Austria than the rest of the year in the UK
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@SAPhil, how was you time in Gastein?
The conditions look amazingly good, we are out there on 5th.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
northantsred wrote:
@SAPhil, how was you time in Gastein?
The conditions look amazingly good, we are out there on 5th.

Three sunny days, one white-out, the rest ok. Conditions generally good although things did get a bit churned up by mid afternoon. Half of our party of 8 picked up a dose of Covid to come home with! Everyone seemed to have a good time though. Enjoy!
snow report
Bit of a tangent, how popular is Apple Pay? Here (Australia) its absolutely ubiquitous these days, what's it like in Austria?
ski holidays
@BartMasters, generally, it’s fine to use Apple Pay most places that will accept cards, but there are a few places (including Lidl and Hofer supermarkets) that don’t have it enabled.
latest report
Quote:

@BartMasters, generally, it’s fine to use Apple Pay most places that will accept cards, but there are a few places (including Lidl and Hofer supermarkets) that don’t have it enabled.

Great, thanks @Scarlet
snow conditions
@BenW_86, Thanks. Going to Mayrhofen next week and didn’t think I’d need much cash. Was this just up the mountain or in town bars/restos as well?
snow report
It was about 50/50 cash/card on the mountain, town seemed to accept card a bit more but a few bars didn't so definitely a good idea to have a bit of cash.
snow report
Are there any card machines in Niederau.
snow report
I tried every ATM in Lech a couple of weeks ago and all wanted to charge a fee for cash withdrawals - this was a pre-loaded currency card - not a debit or credit card.
snow report
Never had a problem paying by card other than a hut on the slopes near Warth.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy