Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Are our bindings gripwalk compatible?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi guys, my boyfriend got new ski boots but we are not sure if our old bindings are compatible with them. I couldn't find any information on these bindings online so I'm attaching photos. I hope someone can hlep.

The model is Salomon Poweraxe Energy2 S912

ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
One result from Google for "Salomon Poweraxe Energy2" comes up with this link https://www.skimag.com/gear/salomon-bindings-2001-02/ which suggests that your bindings are from 2000.

Further research comes up with this link https://www.docdroid.net/chsPE6U/spm-14-en-binding-web-fin-rev-04-pdf which suggests that they were still within the Salomon indemnification program and therefore still warranted as usable if professionally maintained for season 2013-14.

One further link https://members.snowsports.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/12/Atomic-Salomon-Armada-2020-2021-Shop-Manual.pdf show that these bindings are no longer in the Salomon indemnification program and are considered past their end of life.

These bindings look 20+ years old and I think that your question should be "Am I prepared to risk my health on old technology considered not safe enough to indemnify?"
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@dollfish, welcome to Snowheads Very Happy
@Spyderjon will no doubt be along to give the definitive answer soon, but based on a quick Google those bindings are 20 years old! So no, very unlikely to safely work with Gripwalk soles.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@dollfish, Sorry, didn't notice that you are a new user. Welcome to Snowheads.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thank you guys. My skis are Salomon Streetracers and the bindings are Streetracer 610 bindings. These are from 2007 and my boyfriend's set should also be from around 2007. Do you think my bindings are also not safe to use? Would I be better off renting? I have been using them since I was a child but I never thought they would be unsafe to use until now.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@dollfish, Have a read of this thread

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=4885610&highlight=gripwalk#4885610

@spyderjon is our resident expert.....
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Unfortunately no, they are most definitely not Gripwalk compatible.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Definitely not compatible. Did you get standard alpine soles in the box? If not some should be available somewhere online or at the retailer that sold you the boots.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@dollfish, What @andy'n'netty said, definately not. If you haven’t updated your ski bindings in a while, or they are not GripWalk compatible—indicated by the GripWalk logo stamped somewhere on the toe, or if the binding has an adjustable anti-friction device (AFD) which I don't think your's have, you are putting yourself in harm’s way every time you click in. That’s because non-GripWalk alpine bindings will put more pressure between the boot and the binding’s toe piece, which, just like cranking up the release value, means that the binding will not release properly during a fall and increase the chance for severe injury. Here's the
Ski Boot and Binding Norms:

Alpine – ISO 5355 (DIN)
Ski boots have hard, plastic, flat soles.
Bindings have non-adjustable AFD plate and/or non-adjustable toe height

GripWalk – ISO 9523

Ski boots have rockered soles that incorporate rubber but the contact point with the AFD is plastic
Ski boots may or may not have tech inserts
Step-in bindings are multi-norm (MNC) with an adjustable AFD or toe height OR have GripWalk sticker on toe piece

Depending on what type of boots you have will determine if you can order an Alpine footplate that is ISO 5355 compliant. But to be honest, you probably should consider replacing your skis. All skis have a life in them, depending on how many days you ski a year, but you should also consider that materials wear over time. Which is what @Timc was getting at. At our shop we say that a good rule of thumb is that after 8 years or so, resins, flex (the wood core), plastics and metal begin to go downhill. Anything 10 years+ we won't even adjust or set for customers. That doesn't mean that they look broken or worn out, just that the chances of a catastrophic gear failure increases. I would say your 2nd option would be best. Rent some new skis, perhaps even try a few pairs and make a decision from there. If you're only skiing a couple of weeks a year I wouldn't even bother buying.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy