Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiers sprayed with freezing cold water

Poster: A snowHead
Skiers stuck on a chairlift were sprayed with high pressure cold water after a water main burst at Beech Mountain in North Carolina. https://www.wcnc.com/article/news/regional/beech-mountain-water-line-skiers-sprayed/275-38211c02-61bf-4121-8516-e74c0d3784e6

Although it doesn't say so in the report I saw on twitter that two people were taken to hospital with non life threatening injuries. Apparently there was a significant windchill factor present, so the poor skier getting blasted with high pressure water was probably hypothermic. Shocked
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
How awful. I’ve been in some very long delays on a chairlift or two in my time… but this is a new one. Poor people.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Alastair Pink, Are you somewhere exotic right now? I got

Quote:

Access Denied

You don't have permission to access "http://www.wcnc.com/article/news/regional/beech-mountain-water-line-skiers-sprayed/275-38211c02-61bf-4121-8516-e74c0d3784e6" on this server.
Reference #18.186cd417.1641651110.16076429

From what you say, it was a grim experience. I have been to North Carolina two or three times in summer. I am a bit surprised that it has a skiing area.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
That's terrible. I went to NC about 20 years ago for a long weekend, wouldn’t go back if it was free wink
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@achilles, apologies for the blocked link (I think due to GDPR). Hopefully this article should be visible: https://www.reddit.com/r/CatastrophicFailure/comments/rynfg7/beech_mountain_ski_resort_water_pipe_burst/

Edit: or YouTube
http://youtube.com/v/oh2mjzAXYIA
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked That's not just sprayed!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
tangowaggon wrote:
Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked That's not just sprayed!

Indeed, blasted would be a better choice of words. Sad
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Alastair Pink, holy F**K! That is horrendous Shocked Shocked
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Shocked Shocked Shocked
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Whatever next, a free enema with your lift ticket.

Poor devils!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
You'd expect the resort to have a shut off valve for the high pressure water system or failing that they could have inched the chairlift forward to remove the guy on the chairlift from the direct path of the water jet (without bringing the next chair into it)? Failing that as a suggestion they could have tried parking a skidoo/snowmobile over the water jet, the weight of a typical one is over 200kg so that may be sufficient to stay in place and divert the water sideways (or even better a piste basher which is a lot heavier and must weigh several tons, presumably they must have at least one at the resort?)

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Sat 8-01-22 16:08; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
oh my freaking god, I wish I'd not seen that! Hope they were ok, that must have been torture for the poor people.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Alastair Pink, Shocked

@jellylegs, I stayed at a couple of locations - a military base and a beach hotel (very pleasant, went for a swim when I got in from work). Looked pleasant when flying in and out of Raleigh, and also when driving in and out by car. Biggest downside I could think of is that it does tend to get in the way of storms.

Apologies for straying OT.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Apparently the guy who took the video said that some skiers were blown off the lift as a result of the water pressure! Shocked (US skiers often don't deploy the safety bar on chairs even when they are fitted, which isn't always). The drop to the ground (not covered in deep powder snow by the looks of it) could well have caused some injuries to them. Sad
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I've seen another video of this with 2 snowboarders writhing on the ground from a different angle.....
latest report
Maybe they were resting, it is the middle of a piste!!!
snow report
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10382629/Skiers-doused-freezing-water-traveling-Beech-Mountain-resort-ski-lift.html
snow conditions
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/ski-chairlift-pipe-blast-water-b1989374.html
snow conditions
Then there's this guy
WMUR Manchester: Man seriously injured after falling from Wildcat ski lift chair.
https://www.wmur.com/article/man-seriously-injured-after-falling-from-wildcat-ski-lift-chair/38702810

Rough weekend on the east coast.
ski holidays
@sibhusky, your link gives me the message "Sorry, this content is not available in your region." Looks like GDPR strikes again!
snow report
Accessed via a VPN,

GORHAM, N.H. —
One man is recovering from serious injuries after falling almost 10 feet from a ski lift chair at Wildcat Mountain. State Fire Marshal Sean Toomey says that the incident happened around noon Saturday on the Snowcat triple chair. One of the chairs broke off after hitting a tower causing an unidentified male in his early 20s to fall nine and a half feet. He was transported to a local hospital with serious rib injuries.

Fire Marshal Toomey says the lift will remain closed while they conduct a full investigation of the incident. The lift will then need to be tested and approved by the chief tramway inspector. The investigation should take about a week.
ski holidays
Ouch, not ideal - where’s Spider-Man when you need him?
latest report
Yikes that looks really awful Sad
snow conditions
Several things occur to me here:

#1 Why have a hydrant directly under the route of the chair?

#2 Why isn't the hydrant covered in protected padding?

#3 How flimsy is that hydrant if a skier can dismantle it by skiing into it?

#4 This is America surely the skier who broke the hydrant is being sued for vast amounts.
snow report
Layne wrote:

#4 This is America surely the skier who broke the hydrant is being sued for vast amounts.

My guess is the opposite, the skier it suing the resort for not warning them about the dangers of skiing into a fixed object. Fair game.
snow conditions
Here is a link to a longer video of the incident...

http://youtube.com/v/gztOP0tmH_U
snow report
Layne wrote:

#1 Why have a hydrant directly under the route of the chair?

#2 Why isn't the hydrant covered in protected padding?

#3 How flimsy is that hydrant if a skier can dismantle it by skiing into it?

Re #1, presumably because the route of the lift has already been cleared of trees, so laying and accessing the pipe for maintenance would be easier.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy