Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Diagnosed with Osteopenia (but I still want to still ski!)

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello everyone, I am an active 62 year old male who loves the outdoors. And that includes downhill skiing. About 6 weeks ago I was diagnosed with Osteopenia. I have been changing my diet and will change up my exercise program once a back issue (not osteopenia related) is completely mended. Also, I am working with my doctor about other pharama alternatives (I started taking Fosamax but it did not agree with my stomach).

Back to the topic at hand, skiing. In spite of the gloomy news, I went skiing in Vermont during the recent holiday break. As the conditions were not ideal and the slopes were crowded, I dialed back both how aggressive and how long I skied (some skiing is alot better than no skiing).

As this medical condition is new to me, I would greatly appreciate to hear from anyone else who skis with this same condition, especially any words of wisdom that you can pass along.

Thanks in advance.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've had osteopenia for some years, diagnosed after a (relatively) low-trauma pelvic fracture in a ski collision. I couldn't take alendronic acid (the only medication I've ever reacted badly to), so just took vitamin D/C and tried to take more weight-bearing exercise - my GP told me not to lose any more weight. Once my fracture healed - very straightforward - I went back to skiing. No problems and really I didn't think about it. A subsequent and more recent diagnosis of heart failure was a bit more of a concern....... A year or so ago, having not really thought about it for 8 years or so, I had another DEXA scan, which showed my condition hadn't really changed - i.e. it had not progressed to osteoporosis.

It depends on what kind of skier you are, I guess. If you are the sort which jumps off cliffs or does a lot aerials, I'd give that up. But just for regular kind of skiing, I'd ignore the osteopenia. Do keep up weight-bearing exercise. I used to dislike walking downhill (much preferred uphill) but stomping downhill is quite good weight-bearing exercise, so I began to relish the opportunity. I also do pull ups and push ups which help, I think - but in easy form, and moderation. I'm old (75 next months).
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I too have osteopenia (thoracic, not femur on the Dexa scan). Osteopenia is not osteoporosis so I am not aware of any reason to restrict my activities in any way. I do everything I want to do, including skiing about 10 weeks a year (pre-COVID). I run 5k a couple of times a week and work with free weights in the gym- not because I like it but because I need as much weight bearing exercise as possible. I also cycle and swim, but neither are classed as weight bearing so don’t help with the bone density. I do a lot of hill walking as well.

I also take calcium with D3, but I don’t eat much dairy so I think I need to supplement the calcium. I am 65 yrs old. I intend to carry on with this as long as I can, and don’t think about the bone density issue at all. My insurance company says it isn’t anything of concern or requiring any extra premium but I declare it none the less.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
As above, skied for several years with Osteopenia and not a problem with insurance. Even when it moved to osteoporosis I still skied although had to pay a relatively small supplement on insurance. I did become a bit more selective in which conditions and where I tackled a black. Sadly now severe osteoporosis and spinal fractures (which I didn’t know about) so insurance say “No”. Yes, I did take relevant oral medications as prescribed. 70yo female.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Skiing is considered a weight bearing exercise. Keep at it.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy