Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski La Thule to La rosiere

Poster: A snowHead
We are due to go to La Thuile at the end of January. Is the link to La rosiere open and can you ski between the two countries? If so does anyone know the rules?
Thankyou
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yes
Yes
No rules

Link can close if the wind gets windy
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I seem to remember never getting up enough speed to ski all the way back in certain parts, you have to walk a fair bit at times.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Did it earlier this week. All working as usual.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
thank you really helpful
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Is there still a very long drag lift?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
pam w wrote:

Two coming back but you can avoid the second one.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Two coming back but you can avoid the second one.

So one then
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
pam w wrote:
I suspect tha because of the weather in the Col, no other type of lift would work
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Yeah, still the pomas on the way back, reduced my wife to tears, love both areas but it is a pretty horrible link!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Whitegoldsbrother (interesting name), there are 2 drags.
https://www.bergfex.fr/thuile-rosiere-aostatal/panorama/
If you don't take the 2nd one, the alternative route is a longish ski down to one of 2 chairs. The route, though blue, can be tricky, and maybe not the way you would want to go at the end of the day with concerns about wrong turnings and missed lifts.
You can miss the chairs and continue all the way down on Piste 7, a lovely but long scenic route, but maybe not so much fun if it was getting dark.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
There is 1 drag lift and a very flat ski along piste 7 to get back in La Thuile village. All pretty straightforward.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
apparantly they wanted to put a linking run down from the top of the new lift (Mont Valaisan) to the italian side but the enviromental protection issues meant no approval - so the long drag it is.

on piste 7 - yes a lovely scenic route back, but the section past Re Delle Alpi (B on the map) is very flat and unless you have lots of speed/momentum on the approach you will be shuffling/skating here. In contrast, the for very last bit you join the bottom of the world cup run piste to re-enter La Thuile - wooo hooo!!!.

if you're on piste 7 ... we love a lunch time treat at the Lo Riondet (A)
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We had a couple of good holidays in Les Rosieres but, with smallish kids, never made it to La Thuile. My niece was a good little skier but skinny. That drag kept lifting her off her feet, even though our group was occupying 9 perches around her. The first couple of times she managed to keep her skis straight, and land it (she was a gymnast, bless her, aged about 8 at the time). The next time, inevitably, the wind which seems to blow the whole time up there got the better of her, and she fell off. We decided to give up......
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
No proper rules, but don't take novices across. IIRC it's a red coming back. It can also be flipping cold on that drag as a lot of it is the shade, so wrap up warm.
ski holidays
I've done those pomas a few times on day trips to St Bernardino, and frankly? Rule 5 people.

After so much bad PR on this site over the years, the first time I went, I was genuinely worried. But. It ain't steep, it has no corners. and really aren't that long. Relax and enjoy looking at the spectacular view all around you.

And if you do decide to miss out the second one, then you can get some of the best hot chocolate in the domain (nay, Alps) at the restaurant at the top of the Petit St Bernard pass.
snow conditions
as a guide to how bad (it isn't) that long drag is - the La rosiere ski schools (at least Evo2 used to) take the kids groups (my son did it aged about 6) over to La thuile for lunch (chocolate pizza anyone??). I don't think that would be feasible if it was too difficult ....
ski holidays
The advantage of the second poma is it gets you up into the sun sooner than going towards the pass and it's not as long as the first one.

@pam w,'s right about the start; think I cleared the first 6' one time. The downhill sections can be interesting. If there's a tailwind and you're not a lightweight, overtaking the poma can be an issue. Seen a couple fall off that way but as said they aren't that bad really. Button up everything before getting on though as it's always cold.
snow conditions
JonA wrote:
as a guide to how bad (it isn't) that long drag is - the La rosiere ski schools (at least Evo2 used to) take the kids groups (my son did it aged about 6) over to La thuile for lunch (chocolate pizza anyone??). I don't think that would be feasible if it was too difficult ....
unless you have knackered knees then the drag is a doddle. After 10 minutes on the drag, I would collapse on the floor, rubbing my knees, moaning like a right wuss. Laughing
We took 9 yr olds and a disabled lad who had to be held/supported and skied between the legs of his uncle all day (amazing to see in the snow park)
ski holidays
My niece would have managed fine if she'd not been repeatedly lifted off her feet - not at the start. But that was some years ago and they've probably improved the lift!
ski holidays
I've seen that happen as well Laughing
snow report
Ahhh "fond" memories of that drag lift and flat return - first week on snow on a snowboard c.1999 snowHead

Amazingly I managed to get up the drag but not without the other (stronger) snowboarders in my school group being pretty horrible to me.

Main memory of La Tuile is never having enough speed for the many flats, but suspect if you are vaguely competent they wouldn't be an issue.
ski holidays
I remember flying down the long straight back, fast snow and a tailwind. I more vividly remember the same journey with a strong headwind and soft snow. That was a longgggggg walk!
snow report
We stayed in La Ros twice and the trip over was well worth the drags. The scenery is amazing on the long run and there used to be a great Panini place at in the village.
snow conditions
Quote:

Link can close if the wind gets windy

Laughing
snow conditions
It's much easier to.stay in la ros and go over early in the morning with fresh knees than have to go back that way late afternoon with knackered knees, especially as has been said you start overtaking yourself, we love la ros and have had a couple of great hols there but my knees dont like up hill drags much these days let alone long flat/ downhill sections. I guess it's the cost of being the wrong side of 60 and no meniscus.
We try and avoid resorts with lots of drags now
snow report
Top tip I learnt is watch where the instructors go/bring their classes as can be cloudy and snowy on one side and sunny on the other!!
snow conditions
I doubt the drag lifts in the San bernando area or chair lift back to La Rosiere have changed at all since your visit Pam. The three man chairlift back to the fort is the original I think.

There have been several lift improvements on the La Rosiere side including the addition of the Mont Valaisan area but when you are over in La Thuile you have the impression not many changes have been made to the lift infastructure in the last twenty years. On the plus side the San bernando area always seems quieter than la Rosiere as many people don't seem to venture beyond the fort.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quick query re cash or card - around La Thuille, are bars & restaurants & supermarkets card only, or is cash still accepted? My large group for forthcoming trip has quite a kitty built up, we may need to divvy it digitally!
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
I remember flying down the long straight back, fast snow and a tailwind. I more vividly remember the same journey with a strong headwind and soft snow. That was a longgggggg walk!

I, too, recall something very similar on one of four trips to La Ros.

I also recall, on another trip, that there was so much snow on the col, that the drag lift pole was not far off horizontal once out of the loading station Laughing
snow conditions
If the link to La Rosiere is open from La Thuile, what are things like regarding restaurants on the hill on the French side? Passes sanitaires required etc, or could you pop over the border for a chocolat chaud?
snow conditions
fallLine54 wrote:
....what are things like regarding restaurants on the hill on the French side?...

Not nearly as good as on the Italian side.
ski holidays
Cacciatore wrote:
Frosty the Snowman wrote:

I, too, recall something very similar on one of four trips to La Ros.

I also recall, on another trip, that there was so much snow on the col, that the drag lift pole was not far off horizontal once out of the loading station Laughing

I used to have a photo of that in the snowMedia zone, 31st March, incredible late snow season, and despite much digging the drag was just to say functional
latest report
Is there any covid-pass control at the bottom of lifts on French side?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy