Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Corvara for mixed ability group

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Good morning you fabulous, knowledgeable skiers.
We’re heading to Corvara next week (fingers crossed) in a mixed ability group. The newest members have had half a dozen dry slope lessons in the U.K. Can you please suggest the best runs around Corvara for them to try out their skills on snow? Nothing too taxing - it looks like there are plenty of options but it’s helpful to get advice from those who know the area.
There are then a few of us looking for cruise-y blues - 9a looks lovely on you tube but is it easy enough to get to and fro Corvara?
What other long, gentle blues would you recommend for the first day?
For the more experienced in the group, any must do reds and blacks?
Thanks in advance.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
For the more experienced get an area pass and travel!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We all have the full area pass. Where would you recommend?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
For the more experienced you can go either way out of Corvara.... towards Selva or even better towards Arabba.... both quite close
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anywhere really! Do the Sella Ronda and that'll give you a taste of the different areas - you can then spend more time at your faves.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
For the beginners head to Colfosco and the Stella Alpina run at the top of the Edelweiss valley. It’s a wide, gentle, easy to ski blue run and is easy to get to from Corvara. It’s where the Corvara ski school takes all the groups to see how well they ski before heading off to other areas.

I’d also recommend the ski school for lessons. The instructors are good and the group lessons work well for beginners.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@olderscot it looks like they need to go on a bit of the red 50 to get there? Or is there an alternative blue not on the map?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@skiseekers, in answer to your first post 9A and the area to the back of Corvara towards San Cassiano is easy to get to and cruisey blue heaven.

I’d start there get the group's ski legs collectively working before heading over to the Sella Ronda and Edelweiss.

Stunning part of the world have a great time
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The plateau above Corvara/La Villa/San Cassiano is a great place for your group to start. Loads of blues. The easiest route back to Corvara is via Piz Arlara (restaurant) and avoids a tricky 'blue' section so look out for that route
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@skiseekers,
Quote:

The plateau above Corvara/La Villa/San Cassiano is a great place for your group to start. Loads of blues. The easiest route back to Corvara is via Piz Arlara (restaurant) and avoids a tricky 'blue' section so look out for that route

There are also some fabulous mountain restaurants knocking about which are great value (read cheap - by French standards anyway). Anyone at intermediate level should do the Hidden Valley (Falgarezo) and get a mixed grill at Scotoni Very Happy
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
skiseekers wrote:
@olderscot it looks like they need to go on a bit of the red 50 to get there? Or is there an alternative blue not on the map?

No you dont have to do the red. I would second olderscots recommendation. Gondala to colfosco then either up eildewiess or just under the chair is good.

The platuea is very good but the 1st pitch out the col alto gondala is steep. There is two options one red (right) one blue (straight on) but even the blue is steeper than most blues.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
skiseekers wrote:

Well spotted. The gondola exit is right at the bottom of the red run so it’s already flattened out by there and I don’t think they’ll have any problems. The ski school takes all the groups there including the beginners and I don’t remember ever seeing anyone in difficulty (although my wife now tells me it is a bit of a sharp run.) I think it’s a great spot for beginners and gets the sunshine pretty much all day which makes for a nice experience all round.

The mass of blue runs up on the Pralongia plateau can be confusing and some are tougher than others. There’s one spot in particular coming back into Corvara on run 8 that’s a little steep and often ends up cut up and a bit tough for beginners to cope with.

I find the slope by the ski school in Corvara is a great place to get your feet first thing. I always like to do a few warm up laps on it myself if the queue for the drag lift up isn’t too bad.

And my top tip, depending on where you’re staying, is to get one of the lockers in the ski school basement to store your skis and boots. It makes it so much easier to just leave everything there at the end of the day and then come back the next morning to have them all warm and dry.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@skiseekers,
The dolomites are a great place to ski,I've been three times and don't claim to know them that well, however one thing I would be slightly cautious of advice is if people haven't been at the same time of year as you are going.
We have been twice in February at half term as one of our friends is a school teacher and once in January.
The difference in queues was dramatic. There were very long queues indeed at peak times for some lifts including access lifts in Feb which could be off putting for children particularly as they tend to have less of a selection of lifts.
My general impression was that Corvara was not to bad but we did not have to access the lifts in the morning.
The main lifts in Canazei and Campitello to the Sella Ronda were particularly bad though other bits of the Val di Fassa were fine.
I suspect it varies quite a bit but check that anyone advising a particular spot has been there with children at the same time.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I’d agree with @T Bar that the time of year can make a vast difference to the lift queues. Having said that I’ve been 4 times at half term and the only time the queues were properly busy was when the UK half term clashed with carnivale (or shrove Tuesday as it’s better known here). Other than that it wasn’t bad apart from a couple of pinch points on the sella Ronda and maybe the lift up Marmolada.

But of course @skiseekers is going next week so won’t have to worry on that front at all.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy