Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Non-race-competiton slalom ski length

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Ozboy wrote:
I am going to demo a pair of Rossignol Hero Elite Short Turn TI skis today in 167cm to see if I should grab some in end of season sales. Currently in PDS where it’s very hard packed and thought it’s great opportunity to try them for my quiver for such days in the future. Side cut is 68mm and radius is 13m. I am 178cm tall and weigh 92kg. I usually ski side cuts of 86 or 96mm at 178cm length.

What are thoughts on going to the next longer ski in their range at 172cm for more “all round” stability and more GS feel when want to do longer turns? (They don’t have on that length to demo).

Initial thoughts of the ski after a day on hard pack about 1600m and sprig sugar below. Fun ski and quite easy to ride. At no point did I feel the skis were getting the better of me in today’s conditions. The short radius was a bit “grabby” on longer turns in the softer snow but fine on hard pack. Also great on skied-out frozen off piste. Think they are great for days when skiing with kids cruising the pistes.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Cacciatore wrote:

Laughing I turned down the “offer” to test drive some Stockli GS race skis when I was testing some skis prior to buying a few seasons ago….didn’t quite have the balls, if I’m honest. More than happy with the G9’s I bought and kinda get the point about stiffer skis….and they’re plenty stiff enough!
When I tested them I also had a run out on some of Tina Maze's actual World Cup skis, when she was pretty much at her peak, racing on Stöcklis that looked, at a glance, exactly like the customer ones in the shop.

Wow. They were _not_ exactly like the customer ones in the shop.

Much longer radius of course, but the stiffness! I loved them even though they were far too much for me, so the ski tech picked out the stiffest ones they had for me to buy. Not sure if it was always the case, but at that point each pair had their tested stiffness rating listed for the shop to pick out. Only available at Stöckli shops, of course - I believe they still don't sell them through other retailers, although that may have changed.

(This at a time when we lived next door to the Stöckli shop next to the main lifts up in Engelberg, so trying out several skis over a day or two was easily done. And we got a decent discount too, of course, although that could have been due to being part of the Ski School).
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ozboy wrote:
I am 178cm tall and weigh 92kg. I usually ski side cuts of 86 or 96mm at 178cm length.

What are thoughts on going to the next longer ski in their range at 172cm for more “all round” stability and more GS feel when want to do longer turns? (They don’t have on that length to demo).

I'm a bit taller but a bit lighter than you and ski on 172 slalom skis. (Head i-Race, FIS dimensions although longer than competition length allows). They're a 14.5m radius so not too snappy for longer turns as well. But of course I have the choice of my 182cm GS skis as well, at 18.?m radius, and there's no question that they feel much more stable for longer faster turns. Today I was on the SLs, around Lindaret and PlJ, and they were ideal, lovely and grippy on the hard pack and perfectly stable enough. And also nice to make virtual moguls out of the sugary bits like coming back down under the Rochasson chair.

But the key point is that you have to keep them turning all the time. Keep rotating as you come across the fall line, let them come higher up to complete the turn, and then into the next one. If you're swinging them across and then letting them partly sideslip they do _not_ like it. At all.

If you're looking for a one-for-all ski then the longer ones would probably suit you better.

Incidentally, you quote the 'sidecut' but actually use the width under foot. Sidecut as a measure has largely been superseded by Radius, but when it was more used if was the difference between width at the tip and width underfoot, in mm.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Thu 6-04-23 19:17; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
[quote="Chaletbeauroc"]
Cacciatore wrote:

. Only available at Stöckli shops, of course - I believe they still don't sell them through other retailers, although that may have changed.

You can buy them at non Stöckli shops. I really had to stop myself splashing out on a pair at the intersport in Bourg St Maurice over Christmas
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@swskier, Probably my memory is just about within Switzerland, as they clearly don't have their own shops in other countries.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
[quote="swskier"]
Chaletbeauroc wrote:
Cacciatore wrote:

. Only available at Stöckli shops, of course - I believe they still don't sell them through other retailers, although that may have changed.

You can buy them at non Stöckli shops. I really had to stop myself splashing out on a pair at the intersport in Bourg St Maurice over Christmas

Stockli are available in other retailers. Mrs Ozboy bought some Nela 88 skis last week in Châtel.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Chaletbeauroc wrote:
Ozboy wrote:
I am 178cm tall and weigh 92kg. I usually ski side cuts of 86 or 96mm at 178cm length.

I'm a bit taller but a bit lighter than you and ski on 172 slalom skis. (Head i-Race, FIS dimensions although longer than competition length allows). They're a 14.5m radius so not too snappy for longer turns as well. But of course I have the choice of my 182cm GS skis as well, at 18.?m radius, and there's no question that they feel much more stable for longer faster turns. Today I was on the SLs, around Lindaret and PlJ, and they were ideal, lovely and grippy on the hard pack and perfectly stable enough. And also nice to make virtual moguls out of the sugary bits like coming back down under the Rochasson chair.

But the key point is that you have to keep them turning all the time. Keep rotating as you come across the fall line, let them come higher up to complete the turn, and then into the next one. If you're swinging them across and then letting them partly sideslip they do _not_ like it. At all.

If you're looking for a one-for-all ski then the longer ones would probably suit you better.

Incidentally, you quote the 'sidecut' but actually use the width under foot. Sidecut as a measure has largely been superseded by Radius, but when it was more used if was the difference between width at the tip and width underfoot, in mm.

Definitely not after an all-for-one ski as lucky to have a good quiver. The Hero ST are very compatible with my ski style of always turning and very much enjoy moguls.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Chaletbeauroc wrote:
@swskier, Probably my memory is just about within Switzerland, as they clearly don't have their own shops in other countries.

I noticed in Zermatt on Thursday a pair in a non Stöxkli shop, right next to a pair of non competition GS Van Deer skis which looked rather tasty
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Chaletbeauroc wrote:
Cacciatore wrote:

Laughing I turned down the “offer” to test drive some Stockli GS race skis when I was testing some skis prior to buying a few seasons ago….didn’t quite have the balls, if I’m honest. More than happy with the G9’s I bought and kinda get the point about stiffer skis….and they’re plenty stiff enough!
When I tested them I also had a run out on some of Tina Maze's actual World Cup skis, when she was pretty much at her peak, racing on Stöcklis that looked, at a glance, exactly like the customer ones in the shop.

Wow. They were _not_ exactly like the customer ones in the shop.

Cool story snowHead
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy