Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Screw on buttons for masks

Poster: A snowHead
Can't find the original thread, but I got some of the buttons from amazon

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B09997ZCD3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1&tag=amz07b-21

2 mins to fit and looks like they'll work well

ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Very neat!

And thank you for thinking ahead. Note that you've started me thinking about this, it is clearly going to be a massive faff to take loops on/off my ears while wearing a helmet.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Looks like a good set-up.

I've attached a couple of old plastic curtain hooks to my helmet straps (in the same position as your buttons).

They are very secure, easy to attach the mask loops to and hold the mask in place really well (I actually surprised myself with how easy and effective they were), with the advantage that they are also easy to remove and don't damage the fabric of the helmet in any way.

I'll try to sort out some photos later.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I didn't think ahead - but (at least one of) ski shops in Austria have helmet clips (not as cheap as re-using curtain hooks) but at least they saved me the annoyance of keep un-buckling the helmet. www.helmclip.com is the brand for anyone interested.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
This is exactly what I suggested in the original thread. Happy to say that it works perfectly and protects against sore ears!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

I got some of the buttons from amazon

Surely no need to buy special buttons/clips - I just cut a couple off an old unused jacket & sewed them on the strap Madeye-Smiley

ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Not sure it matters so much on ski helmets but I didn't think you were meant to mess about with helmet straps? Fraying is certainly a bad thing.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Csb123, Given that mine has a 'Giro' label sewn onto one of the straps, I don't think it'll do much harm!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We’ve been skiing in France with normal disposable blue or black surgical masks and worked fine looped around ears with POC helmet over the top. Trick is to have mask on face before doing up helmet strap and then just slip it down and up as appropriate.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Ozboy, +1

Why make things compliqué ?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Ozboy, FFP2 needed in Italy. Not so easy to slip down and leave down.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
MorningGory wrote:
@Ozboy, FFP2 needed in Italy. Not so easy to slip down and leave down.

Fair enough but doubt that will be adhered to especially in Italy where rules are generally loose guidelines. You probably will need a FF3 while fighting for your spot in the queue. Think their is also a minimum standard required in France but found that buffs were most widely used in the PDS and Morzine ticket office were also giving away branded buffs.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I’ve bought a new Buff with a filter…. so will see how that goes but have also ordered some ffp2’s as well. Love the curtain hooks idea - will definitely give that a go!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
CathS wrote:

I've attached a couple of old plastic curtain hooks to my helmet straps (in the same position as your buttons).

They are very secure, easy to attach the mask loops to and hold the mask in place really well (I actually surprised myself with how easy and effective they were), with the advantage that they are also easy to remove and don't damage the fabric of the helmet in any way.

Can you try to put up a pic, Cath as am a bit thick and prob won’t be able to work out how to do it otherwise!!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Kimski44 wrote:
CathS wrote:

Can you try to put up a pic, Cath as am a bit thick and prob won’t be able to work out how to do it otherwise!!

Sorry, I can't quite work out how to add a photo to a post. Can anyone advise?
ski holidays
@CathS, easiest way is to add from a smartphone by hitting the “Post Image” button and selecting the photo : screen shot from the photo library.

ski holidays
@Ozboy, I don't have the Post Image button. I think you have to be a Super-Snowhead to get that. I've tried posting an https:// link from Google photos with the img insert codes but that doesn't work either Sad
ski holidays
You could try a hosting site like imgur.com, and post the link.
snow report
brianatab wrote:
You could try a hosting site like imgur.com, and post the link.
Sounds like a lot of hassle!

Sorry Kimski44. I suggest you get some standard white plastic curtain hooks (available from Screwfix, Argos etc if you Google them) and experiment with attaching them to your helmet straps. It only took me about 2 minutes to rig them up in a way that they were secure and I could hook on the FFP2 mask loops.

I had used a French certified 'filtration neck warmer' when I was in Tignes last month, which was fairly easy to use, although I wasn't convinced how effective it really was, as you couldn't get a close fit around the top of your nose. It was also a bit too warm wearing it the whole time.

For a trip I have planned later this month I will need an FFP2 mask, which will be a right pain to keep putting on and off under a helmet and I don't think would work well having it hanging off your ears as a chin-warmer whilst skiing. So rigging it up to the helmet straps behind the ears is the perfect solution.
snow report
I've been using an ffp2 with the 3m decorating hooks someone mentioned, I stuck them directly to the helmet just behind the ear flap. It really needs a glove off and goggles raised but only take a few seconds, I must have done it well over 100 times now. Bit more challenging when snowing.
In 2 weeks in France I've only seen a handful of people wearing ffp2s, most people making no or little effort with masks, I've also only had my vax status checked half a dozen times.
I started off with a filter buff but abandoned it as useless.
ski holidays
Thank you guys for all this. I have got curtain hooks so I’ll experiment. Even I can’t be that thick I can’t work it out from your instructions and i will have a trial run as soon as I get my ffp2’s delivered. I hadn’t given much thought to actual skiing in them but I suppose it could keep the old face warm esp on a long and winding drag lift… I switched to wearing a helmet a few years ago for the same reason, and that certainly works!
Great, anyway, thanks so much.
ski holidays
Austria very keen on Fp2 masks, especially on lower lifts. Ears well squashed from constant faffing, but a small price to pay for being back on the slopes Very Happy
snow report
Here’s the curtain hook method:

latest report
That's exactly how I've used them @Swiss Toby. Have you tried them out in the field yet?
snow report
BoardieK wrote:
I've been using an ffp2 with the 3m decorating hooks

Helps with the social distancing as well?
ski holidays
@ster, Laughing
latest report
CathS wrote:
That's exactly how I've used them @Swiss Toby. Have you tried them out in the field yet?

Only in the living room, no problems so far! Toofy Grin
latest report
@Swiss Toby, Nice one. Best take some spares.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy