Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Norway weather.

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm looking at potential weekend skiing in Norway as it looks like the country with the least amount of hoops to jump through at present.

However, I have a feeling that the climate may be more Scottish than Alpine. I have spent a lot of time in the hills of Scotland during winter (100+ winter Munros & skiing) so I know how challenging the weather can be. Windy and biting cold with wet snow, rather than blocking high pressure, clear skies and no wind.

Can anyone with experience of the Norwegian climate shed some light ?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Depends where you go...

West coast Norway (Voss) is wetter and milder.
But that means they can get more snow.

However the interior (Hemsedal) is colder and drier. As is the Arctic north.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I was looking at Trysil so the latter.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Check sunset times and/or where the floodlights are.
Iceland may have few hoops also, but is also kind of dark at this time of year.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
philwig wrote:
Check sunset times and/or where the floodlights are.
Iceland may have few hoops also, but is also kind of dark at this time of year.

A good point although having not skied much for two years I fear that my legs will be shot after a few hours !
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Joy Zipper, it can be variable, as with any mountains and will depend on where you go plus the weather at the time. I've had clear blue skies, little wind and 0 to -10; I've also had strong winds and +5, and temps below -20. In general, the mountains are further north than Scotland (so likely colder) and not as exposed to prevailing weather off the Atlantic (unless you are right on the west coast). We do get high pressure parked over Scandinavia at times, we also get storms rolling through.

There are no guarantees but IME you're more likely to be challenged by extreme cold, and less by wet snow, compared to Scotland. You'll probably also have a damper climate (on average) than the Alps.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Just like the Alps, the weather is very variable in Norway. The coast from west and up to the north is one of the wettest areas in Europa. The upside to that is that you will normally have good snow. If you are looking at Trysil, the weather is typical inland-climate as it is sheltered from the typical low pressures from the west by the mountain range. That means more stable conditions, but at the same time, it can get very cold.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The only time I've skied in Norway it was April - in Geilo - and very warm and sunny. From that experience, and what I've read on SHs, Norway is a good bet in late season.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Have done Geilo & Hafjell several times in January. From recollection, lifts don’t open until 9.30 am & close around 4 pm. Floodlight skiing then on a couple of runs on several evenings but it gets a bit bonkers when the local ski clubs descend.

It gets bitterly cold, you certainly need to keep skin covered. The snow however is amazing.

Geilo got affected by high winds regularly. They do try to keep the lifts open & its fun being thrown off at the top as they speed them up to get you off. We have lost whole days due to wind though on at least 2 trips.

All that said, we’d love to go back one day.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Joy Zipper, when are you thinking of going? We went to Trysil in mid April, it did still dump down one day and night but for the most part it was dry and not very cold then, i.e not much snow sitting lower down in town before the dump
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Never been Norway but have skied twice in Sweden, once Are and once Vemdalen.

Both times was 2-3 week of January. As people have said daylight is short (9:15 to 3:45 ish if I recall) though they do have floodlit skiing also. Weather was generally colder than we have experienced at same period in The Alps. Coldest day was -34c but even then we managed a fair bit of skiing with suitable layers being worn. Good gloves are a must (think Hestra).

All in all we loved our trips to Sweden and will probably return in the future.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Take Heated glove liners and your own wine.. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy .(no alcohol at the moment in Norway, even when it is for sale a glass of wine is about £15!!!!)
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy