Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Flaine at 9th April - too late??

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi

Just wondering what your thoughts are on Flaine 9th April, is it too late? What are my chances the snow will be ok and the links open to Samoen?

I'm debating changing the booking to somewhere higher however I have got a good apartment and instructor booked and I've read Flaine has a little micro-climate of snow and usually holds well into April, still nervous though.

Thanks
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@wonderwoman, Latest I’ve been is last week of March, links were open to the whole of the GM, the lower Flaine resort runs that were exposed to the sun were slushy from lunch onwards, higher up and north facing were fine.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@wonderwoman, You could also ask your question here == https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=157483

The Grand Massif snow report page, where the Flaine 'experts' hang out....
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Flaine is usually open till late April so I think 9th April would be a good week to go there as whilst there may be a bit of slush at the bottom in the afternoon it will be less busy than the week before. Flaine is normally better late season than early season and often has impressive snow depths in late March/early April.

The second week of April is a bit riskier in the lower GM resorts eg Les Carroz and Morillon but you could strike lucky in a good snow year and find yourself skiing really quiet pistes above those villages. Samoens 1600 is north facing and there would probably at least be enough open for you to ski over to Flaine and back. However I think Flaine would be the best base for that week.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@wonderwoman, Grand Massif shuts on 18th April, so you will be skiing the last week of the season. The risk with Samoens (and all the other low resorts les carroz etc) in getting to Flaine is it is dependent on a south facing blue run Tormaline, that gets progressively narrower and very thin snow in the late season. However if you go at the very start of the day it is usually ok, i.e get first lift, but after that it is usually grim. Flaine bowl is cold, so usually great at the end of the season, up to lunchtime. Links back are better, unless you go back late and it will be a chopped up mess at the top of tete des saix.

Saying all of that, in a good snow year I have skied very last day of the season, empty pistes, down to the gondola base in les carroz at the end of the day, in bad years had to download down the gondola, and also in Flaine had to download down the chair lift to the vernant car park, which was slightly interesting.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I guess you don't mean skiing down to Samoens village?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@pam w, I don't think there is a ski run down to Samoens village. If skiing back from Flaine you'd ski to Samoens 1600 and take the gondola down to the village. I think @wonderwoman, means the Tete des Saix/Vernant/Tourmaline link between Flaine and Samoens.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Sorry I assumed @wonderwoman, was staying in Samoens, and you can't ski to samoens village itself, only vercland (which will most likely be shut that late)

If you are in Flaine at that time of year stay there, it will have the best snow, and should be fine, it will get slushy to the top in the afternoon, but snow depth will be ok.

So stay in Flaine unless snow is really very very good, as the way back to Flaine from the other villages has to be done via tourmaline, which can be very grim in the afternoon that late in the season, even if a good snow year. I may be being slightly looking on the darker side as I guide a VI skier, and rocky, grassy, slushy, brown bumps are exhausting physically /mentally for her and mentally for me.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Grand Massif options on the Giffre valley side:
- GM Express: park in Samoens and use the telecabine to 1600.

- after Samoens 1600 there's a piste down to Vercland but (1) parking there is as hard as in Combloux, and (2) at 850m, even if North Facing, it's unlikely to be open mid April.

- there's obviously Cascade, a 12km run down from the top of Flaine to Le Fay (800m), but again it'll most probably be closed by then.

- Morillons 1100 (Esserts) has a parking, else down in Morillons itself the parking's practical but again, it's unlikely imho the piste down from Les Esserts to 650m is enjoyable (if open) in April.

Not too sure about the southern part of the domain (Arache/Carroz) but in my opinion, for April, park at Flaine or just stay there.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Flaine wouldn't be my top choice in April.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy