Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Transit through France by car to Switzerland

Poster: A snowHead
Has anyone Transited through France from UK by car to Switzerland or other EU country recently...well since the change in rules for entering France. Does the "transiting for less than 24 hours in an international zone" rule cut the mustard with the border staff at the eurotunnel or ferry terminals? Any travel tales appreciated....Merry Christmas!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
yllap wrote:
Has anyone Transited through France from UK by car to Switzerland or other EU country recently...well since the change in rules for entering France. Does the "transiting for less than 24 hours in an international zone" rule cut the mustard with the border staff at the eurotunnel or ferry terminals? Any travel tales appreciated....Merry Christmas!

Unless you are a resident another another country going back home ..ie not the uk you cannot drive through France currently as transit within 24 hours purely means inside an airport so switching from one flight to another.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
yeah i figured that if the official rules....but it also seems to be a gray area....i wondered if anyone had some first hand experience recently?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@yllap, I'm afraid I can't see it's a grey area international zone must surely mean air side at an airport not driving a car through France.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
yllap wrote:
yeah i figured that if the official rules....but it also seems to be a gray area....i wondered if anyone had some first hand experience recently?

There’s no grey area it is pretty clear what the rules are and I wouldn’t get into an argument with the gendarmes around Calais but good luck to you.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I raised this issue a couple of days ago in this thread: https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=157647#4887158
.... which ended with the cheery Christmas greeting: 'unlikely to change - bad luck'.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
My brother drove from Switzerland (where he's resident) to the UK last week. They were very nearly refused entry to the UK (albeit due to some Irish passports oddly - got through in the end). In my view, you'll be stopped at the first hurdle!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ok understood, so no-one has just `gone for it` and been ok. Entering EU from Holland seems to be a legitimate option, just a bit of a faff with the 8 hour ferry from Harwich. Seems quite harsh for the French to effectively cut us off from traveling overland to countries that we are allowed to enter.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Are you allowed to go through Holland ? I thought there was a quarantine requirement ? Or does it not apply if you are driving through ? It’s all got so complicated !
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
it is ridiculously complicated, and i think sitting in your own private vehicle is the safest way to travel....but yes, i would say you can transit through holland, even if coming from a high risk area.

if you go to https://www.government.nl/topics/coronavirus-covid-19/visiting-the-netherlands-from-abroad/self-quarantine/exceptions-mandatory-quarantine

And then look at the exception categories, look at the staying in Netherlands for a short period of time, and then read `Quarantine declaration: People travelling in their own vehicle need only provide a quarantine declaration`

Ive also read articles confirming that fact, and the French don't care that you've entered through different countries...they are just being bloody minded.

I will probably be trying this route on or around the new year, (unless the french change the rules), so will tell you how it goes!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'd be tempted to ditch a pair of two of skis and that spare jumper you'll never actually wear and book flights instead: that's a certain method of getting to Switzerland at the moment. It's worth noting the French aren't letting people back into the UK without a compelling reason (the rules are a bit unclear but they're applying this in Calais). If you go down via Holland, you'll have to return that way too or you maybe spending far longer in the land of heidis than you were planning...
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Id love to do that, but will be there for a month or so, and need to take a fair amount of stuff....lets see!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
French officials at Eurotunnel folkestone did indeed check our resident status in switz and covid pass status before letting us through, a couple of week ago. Doubt we would have made it without resident permits...
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
If you are moving to an EU country I suppose that would also count as transiting to your main residence
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Gustavobs wrote:
If you are moving to an EU country I suppose that would also count as transiting to your main residence

If you have proof that you have a residency permit etc etc it would count
snow report
andmelffion wrote:
Gustavobs wrote:

Well, an EU citizen doesn't need a permit really so I guess not necessarily?
latest report
Any thoughts on doing the drive if we're Swiss nationals but don't reside in Switzerland? We're keen to see Grandma Recz who is very unwell in Geneva but can't lie and say we're not also going to ski.

Would the French enquire as to our residency status given e.g. we'd be driving a car with English plates, and would there be issues returning? Although we presumably be able to use GB passports to do the return drive?
latest report
@recz, Swiss nationals travelling on Swiss passports to an address in Switzerland - I would say/guess you would be Ok
ski holidays
Gustavobs wrote:
andmelffion wrote:
Gustavobs wrote:

Well, an EU citizen doesn't need a permit really so I guess not necessarily?

When crossing the border to France from the UK if you can prove you are an eu national moving to an eu country then yes you’re unlikely to have a problem. If you are simply someone living in the us wishing to holiday in the uk then you take your chance with french border controls…good luck and enjoy your ski holiday.
snow report
Entry via Spain there are no restrictions.
I'll just put this here,
https://www.brittany-ferries.co.uk/ferry-routes/ferries-spain , I hear Santander is lovely this time of the year..... Toofy Grin

1 day in Spain, then it's about 10-11hrs to the Alps........
It's a longer trip as sailings are on a Tuesday-Wednesday, but then you get to ski Friday, and then home again the next weekend, via Eurotunnel. Friends of ours did a 48hr UK and back to Germany again as all the rules were changing. Getting on the Eurotunnel to return home, they can't stop you travelling home
Smile
latest report
So in principle, a ferry to either spain or holland is the same in regards to entry to the eu and driving across....here`s hoping!
ski holidays
@yllap, be careful with your choice of route. Germany also has a ban on non German citizens / residents who have been in the UK in the past 10 days. There is a suggestion that direct transit is OK but don't think driving, say, Aachen to Basel really counts as that. Although it is very unlikely indeed that there would be any checks on the Dutch / German border it is not impossible that there would be checks elsewhere, compliance checks on various covid related rules have noticeably increased in the past few weeks, UK registered vehicles are a real rarity at the moment. Flying really is the only definitely legal way to travel at the moment.
snow report
@albob, can confirm this was indeed the case so thanks for the advice.

No issues at the eurotunnel: it was a pain to upload all our documents to eurotunnel but other than that it was pretty painless (no questions from French customs despite us driving a car with English plates).
ski holidays
Sharkymark wrote:
I'd be tempted to ditch a pair of two of skis and that spare jumper you'll never actually wear and book flights instead: that's a certain method of getting to Switzerland at the moment. (the rules are a bit unclear but they're applying this in Calais). If you go down via Holland, you'll have to return that way too or you maybe spending far longer in the land of heidis than you were planning...

On Eurotunnel website the following seems to contradict you!

All Passengers

All those wishing to travel from France to the UK, regardless of vaccination status, will need to meet criteria defined by the French authorities that the travel is essential (supporting evidence will need to be presented at border controls). UK nationals, as well as residents in the United Kingdom, are exempt.The full list of what constitutes essential travel is on the French Home Office website
UnQuote

so uk nationals are able to return, at elast via the tunnel!
ski holidays
@snowornever, fair enough; I was going by the experience my Brother had returning last week.
latest report
Quick update from Bilbao, following a 35hr ferry to Santander I'm which the shipping forecast had down as Force 7 to 8 rough to v. Rough we have arrived. My wife was v seasick most of the time so it was 28hra of solo parenting with a 5 and 3 year old who were v over excited and tired rolling eyes but we all made it.

Either the Spanish are v lax, or we had all our Advanced Passenger Information in place so didn't to check, but on entry the only documents checked were our passports. Their SpTH, which is their travel covid pass app which is really good and easy, was checked at checking as we're our covid vaccine passports, but no-one looked at our randox certifly. Randox are very good by the way and are valid in EU so you can take them with you for Lat flow return to UK test.

Next stage is crossing into France, so fingers crossed but we'll see how we go. There was another family doing the same thing, but going skiing in Andorra for 2 days before heading to the Alps, so will update you on how we do!

France hit 200k cases yesterday, which is a bit scary. Everyone in Spain is v good at mask wearing and vaccine passport to get into restaurants etc, compliance is super high. I suppose as it had such a bad time of it they all understand the severity. Puzzled

Anyway fingers crossed everyone can get a trip too, but if you've got a trip booked and fancy a fee extra days off, Portsmouth to Santander is an option
snow report
xanderajma wrote:
Quick update from Bilbao, following a 35hr ferry to Santander I'm which the shipping forecast had down as Force 7 to 8 rough to v. Rough we have arrived. My wife was v seasick most of the time so it was 28hra of solo parenting with a 5 and 3 year old who were v over excited and tired rolling eyes but we all made it.

Either the Spanish are v lax, or we had all our Advanced Passenger Information in place so didn't to check, but on entry the only documents checked were our passports. Their SpTH, which is their travel covid pass app which is really good and easy, was checked at checking as we're our covid vaccine passports, but no-one looked at our randox certifly. Randox are very good by the way and are valid in EU so you can take them with you for Lat flow return to UK test.

Next stage is crossing into France, so fingers crossed but we'll see how we go. There was another family doing the same thing, but going skiing in Andorra for 2 days before heading to the Alps, so will update you on how we do!

France hit 200k cases yesterday, which is a bit scary. Everyone in Spain is v good at mask wearing and vaccine passport to get into restaurants etc, compliance is super high. I suppose as it had such a bad time of it they all understand the severity. Puzzled

Anyway fingers crossed everyone can get a trip too, but if you've got a trip booked and fancy a fee extra days off, Portsmouth to Santander is an option

Good luck. Please let us know about the border in to France. I am planning similar next week
latest report
I'm only posting this as a keen reader of such threads, hoping to depart in mid Jan. On the 'Travel to France via Green Country' thread, a change to the Attestation has been flagged. It now reads 'It applies to travellers arriving by a direct flight or after a transit of less than 14 days in another country.'

I've crossed twice in the past few months and am very aware the carriers (Eurotunnel in my case) care far more for the rules than the authorities. I'm not familiar with the road entry points into France from Spain and doubt they are controlled at all, but if stopped, a UK national who could not evidence 14 days 'transit' could be refused entry.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
"..On the 'Travel to France via Green Country' thread, a change to the Attestation has been flagged. It now reads 'It applies to travellers arriving by a direct flight or after a transit of less than 14 days in another country.'.."

@Val Desire, I believe that was a misinterpretation by the poster (I tried to point that in the thread, but they never replied)
Travel Attestation if travelling from a Green country has not changed

You can read it yourself on this page (make sure you click on the - Travel from Green country !!)

https://www.interieur.gouv.fr/Actualites/L-actu-du-Ministere/Certificate-of-international-travel#from2
latest report
New on Eurotunnel's page.

https://www.eurotunnel.com/uk/travelling-with-us/latest/covid-19/

"URGENT UPDATE FOR BRITISH RESIDENTS IN EU

Following a French Government decision, on 28/12/2021, unless they hold French residency, British citizens are now considered 3rd country citizens and can no longer transit France by road to reach their country of residence in the EU."
latest report
albob wrote:
"..On the 'Travel to France via Green Country' thread, a change to the Attestation has been flagged. It now reads 'It applies to travellers arriving by a direct flight or after a transit of less than 14 days in another country.'.."

@Val Desire, I believe that was a misinterpretation by the poster (I tried to point that in the thread, but they never replied)
Travel Attestation if travelling from a Green country has not changed

You can read it yourself on this page (make sure you click on the - Travel from Green country !!)

https://www.interieur.gouv.fr/Actualites/L-actu-du-Ministere/Certificate-of-international-travel#from2

All noted @allbob. I do not think it is a misinterpretation, it is the confusion caused by layers of hastily implemented regulations. A UK resident departing the UK may think they fall within the 'Travel from Green Country' rules, but the Gendarme may think otherwise. I agree the mid December rules appear to apply to direct traffic, but that wording indicates otherwise (and is entirely logical).

As said, I post for information. I am travelling out in mid Jan and driving is my preferred method. I've looked long and hard at the rules. I do know the British habit of challenging authority is not so prevalent on the continent and I can't outrun the Gendarmes sidearm.
snow report
@Val Desire, It will all have changed by mid Jan anyway..... !
latest report
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/dec/29/britons-living-in-eu-told-they-cant-drive-through-france-to-get-to-uk
snow report
rayscoops, to add to the confusion, the blurb in your Guardian web address is highly misleading.
It reads: "britons living in eu told they can't drive through france to get to uk", when the article is actually about the reverse journey.
British citizens who live in the EU cannot travel through France by car from the UK (to their home in EU).
ski holidays
@Jonpim, agreed, it’s a mess
latest report
@Dd4, et tous le monde, nous sommes en France!!!

Super easy on the motorway, finish the Spanish toll and through the French one at the border. There were 4 other brit number plates I'd seen ahead of me over a couple of miles probably. None were stopped and detained that i could see.

There was one police car in middle of the payage on the French side, coned off talking to a very full studenty type hatch back with two slightly sheepish looking young chaps grtting a talking to by the police.

Since the border I've not seen any other Brits. My French and accent isn't too terrible but I haven't had the "you're English aren't you?" question or looks from anyone. Though I'm sure they don't care. Apart from the usual arsey French drivers trying to get into my boot on the motorway it's all been fairly straight forward. Another full day of driving with two little boys will be the biggest challenge I think. A beer in the hot tub tomorrow evening looking out at the Alps and I'm sure all the travel will be a distant memory.

It's v doable in one shot from the ferry if you've got two drivers who get a decent night's sleep on the ferry. But we're having an adventure so taking it slow.
A handy tip though, you get 2 routes suggested on Google/wayz/satnav, a northen one via Bordeaux and Lyon and southern one via Toulous, Narbonne & Grenoble, take the Southern route even though its 20mins longer in theory. You'll avoid Lyon and and the traffic is lighter along that southern route, according to a French friend who drives all over France for a living.

Also get the tous anti covid app as it always helps to play by the home teams rules. Just scan you NHS vaccine certificate and it uploads a treat
snow conditions
Found our way to the Alps 1167kms later.

En route bumped into Gendarmes getting our pastries for breakfast, with UK car and plates layden with luggage (skis hidden ish)
&, baring in mind in this in S.France) smile, and Bon Fete was all we got......

On the Travel through France thread @embassy says, no1 in gov will commit to an answer to the differing interpretations, but the Gendarmes decision is final Puzzled

So all about.manging the risk really to how much you want/need to ski?

Spanish route worked well, will.do a trip post when safely home via the Euro Tunnel snowHead

Interesting about the Dutch as while we saw not one other Brit car today, when we got past Grenoble there were SOOOO many Dutch cars?!? And considering they've been locked down for a bit now, rule.following on the continent seems advisory. And an interesting fact there is no term for breaking the law, you're either legal/following/obeying the law or you got caught?!? Definitely born out by their observation of the speed limit. As Haute-Savoie have mandatory masks everywhere there were about 12 people.in total through twonresort centres adhering to that including on all the buses we passed so rolling eyes

Happy New Year all and good luck doing whatever you want
snow report
xanderajma wrote:
Found our way to the Alps 1167kms later.

En route bumped into Gendarmes getting our pastries for breakfast, with UK car and plates layden with luggage (skis hidden ish)
&, baring in mind in this in S.France) smile, and Bon Fete was all we got......

On the Travel through France thread @embassy says, no1 in gov will commit to an answer to the differing interpretations, but the Gendarmes decision is final Puzzled

So all about.manging the risk really to how much you want/need to ski?

Spanish route worked well, will.do a trip post when safely home via the Euro Tunnel snowHead

Interesting about the Dutch as while we saw not one other Brit car today, when we got past Grenoble there were SOOOO many Dutch cars?!? And considering they've been locked down for a bit now, rule.following on the continent seems advisory. And an interesting fact there is no term for breaking the law, you're either legal/following/obeying the law or you got caught?!? Definitely born out by their observation of the speed limit. As Haute-Savoie have mandatory masks everywhere there were about 12 people.in total through twonresort centres adhering to that including on all the buses we passed so rolling eyes

Happy New Year all and good luck doing whatever you want

A Switzerland thread.

Enjoy your time skiing in the French Alps Eh oh!
ski holidays
Dd4 wrote:
xanderajma wrote:

Good luck. Please let us know about the border in to France. I am planning similar next week

Yes I know, see above as requested same should work.
ski holidays
Some people from our chalet have done the reverse journey coming from Switzerland to us here in France. No issues with the border at all, they didn't see anyone being stopped or even people looking interested.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy