Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Goggle lens photochromic lens question

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi equipment experts,
I've been using Bolle OTG goggles for a few years and they've been great but are now scratched so I need to replace them.

My current lens are "Lime" which is listed as Cat 2 (18% trans) and have been great but are now discontinued.

On the basis that if it ain't broke don't fix it I'm going to go with the same model (Bolle Y6 OTG) but have to choose a new lens. Now I'll admit that all this colour/lens stuff confuses me.

It looks like their new Cat 2 lens is "vermillion" (trans 20%) but they also do a more expensive photochromic cat 1-3 'green emerald' lens which gives transmission of 12-56%

So I'd welcome opinions on whether it's worth trying the green Emerald, are these trying to do everything so are useless or are they genuinely flexible ?

edit forgot to include link
https://www.bolle.com/gb/snow-goggles/y6-otg-2507.html
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Dunno. But I have a couple of pairs of Salomon photochromic goggles and they work fine in all conditions for me (there's a separate clear lens for night use). When I originally tried to compare brands I found it a challenge as they quoted transmission differently, but for me, these work great in all conditions and are especially useful when transitioning from open areas into trees for example. They're not quite as dark as the darkest lenses, and not as bright as the brightest, but you never have to change a lens.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
FWIW. I would go for their semi polarised photochromic lens.

I have what used to be called Modulator "Light Control", using a high quality NXT lens (semi polarised). I am not familiar with their current lenses.

Edit. These are the lenses I'm talking about (scroll down page for info): https://www.glisshop.co.uk/accessories/goggles/bolle/?pageNumber-10=2

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Tue 4-01-22 12:36; edited 3 times in total
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
MY partner is always looking for new kit and was looking at photochromic lenses as the strap on her Oakleys is about shot and she like the idea of not having to change lenses - she has 4 from bright sun to totally clear

I dont know of anyone who uses them but I do know that for motorcycle visors, they dont change as quickly and as @philwig says, they are neither as light or as dark as you may want them at the extremes but it saves lugging lenses around

Brightness aside, I dont know if they filter light in the same way as some flat light lenses
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We have a couple of pairs of Bolle ones but don't really get on with them. Even in overcast conditions they are too dark and never seem to lighten properly. These days I stick with a dedicated Cat 1 low-light lens and a pair of sunglasses in my pocket for bright conditions.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Old Fartbag wrote:

I have what used to be called Modulator "Light Control", using a high quality NXT lens (semi polarised). I am not familiar with their current lenses.

Edit. These are the lenses I'm talking about (scroll down page for info): https://www.glisshop.co.uk/accessories/goggles/bolle/?pageNumber-10=2

thanks that seems to be the same lens, or at least use the same acronyms Smile
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Klamm Franzer wrote:
We have a couple of pairs of Bolle ones but don't really get on with them. Even in overcast conditions they are too dark and never seem to lighten properly. These days I stick with a dedicated Cat 1 low-light lens and a pair of sunglasses in my pocket for bright conditions.

That might be why I like them, my eyes are very sensitive to bright light. I also have another pair for very flat light days.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Gotta say I'm not a fan, not tried recently but did a couple of years back, they seemed to get easily confused/slow to react, id much rather take lenses for the conditions i see out of the window.
If in doubt ill take a spare lens, i break/scratch goggles for fun so not into paying big money for them, currently using Dirty Dog Mutant, cat1 orange lens and cat3 in the box and magnetic change so it can be done in seconds/on the lift. think they're £60ish inc 2 lenses
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
richb67 wrote:
Old Fartbag wrote:

thanks that seems to be the same lens, or at least use the same acronyms Smile

The Bolles belong to my Wife. This is a review of what she has: https://gearinstitute.com/gear-review/bolle-gravity-with-modulator-light-control-lens/

I use Oakley Prizm Rose or Torch, which cover most conditions, without being photochromic. The former has more emphasis on lower light and the latter more emphasis on brighter light.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I have a pair of these Bolle Y6 OTG Ski Goggles – Shiny Black with Modulator Citrus Gun S1-3 Lens .
Had them for 6 years now excellent in all light conditions.
Only minor issue is crossing from extremely bright sun into deep shadow when I would prefer that they reacted quicker, they're quick but I'd like quicker. I believe the latest photochromic lenses are quicker.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Timc wrote:
... I believe the latest photochromic lenses are quicker.
It takes maybe 3-5 seconds for my Salomons to switch when I ride into a dark forest, the only time I ever notice them. I don't ride slowly and I hate stopping.

There's no way you could stop and change lenses faster than that, so "speed" is not an issue for me.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@richb67, "Now I'll admit that all this colour/lens stuff confuses me."

The different manufacturers use these words mostly in the same reference, but with some artistic and advertising license Very Happy

Photo, usually meaning responding to (photons) light level with compensating desnsity to deliver to the eye a "constant" light level within technical range.
Chroma, colour that the lens is usually transmitting to your eye. If you are successful in using "lime" then a continuation would be logical in keeping to that. Alternatively a significant difference in colour may of may not give benefit, but you'd really need to assess it, as any colour bias present in you can give a very different outlook to others, or they may succeed with impaired colour vision that you will never see. Trial is the only foolproof way with this, especially if you know you have colour vision tested as out of range.

Polarisation, has very limited use in snow environments. Deals with planar (flat surface) light reflecting from subject, glass, water, painted etc, as most light in snow environments is specular (broken into small points) and unaffected by polarisation.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I am very happy with my poc nxt photochromic lense. Unfortunately they have been discontinued. Will be hunting for another pair of photochromic goggles when they are knackered.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
thanks everyone, I just went to order the photochromatic ones but they seem to be out of stock everywhere reputable except Bolle where they're twice the price so have gone for the newer model with the photochromatic lens, lets see what they're like.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy