Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Thulie vs Paso Tonale vs St Moritz

Poster: A snowHead
Hi guys was wondering if anyone could help me choosing the best option for us. As France remains shut we need to find a place for our 16/01 trip. Listed La Thulie, Passo Tonalle and St Moritz as these three places can offer whole day childcare with a ski school for our little one. My wife loves La Rosiere hence a trip to La Thulie seems sensible but there is little to choose from as far as quality accomodation is concerned over there. On the other hand, I spent a week in Pila about this time of the year two years ago and remeber almost freezing my butt off it was sooo cold so ideally want a sunny resort if possible.

Many thanks.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'm sure you could have a nice holiday in each place, but lots of variables there.

What quality of accommodation do you require?

How close to daycare/ski school facility do you want to be?

How are you going to regulate the weather in January? All three could be cold at altitude. Dress accordingly maybe? Or go in March?

As regards cost, Passo Tonale will offer best value, La Thuile will be slightly cheaper than La Ros, St Moritz will be pricey, but no doubt top quality.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi Thanks for your reply. Looking for good 3*+ and would like childcare droppoff to be as convenient as possible. As for the weather... What I meant I don't want to go somewhere which is in the shade all day as Pila is in January.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Tomy81, La Thuile will be sunnier, but it’s a cold cold pass, anywhere in mid jan won’t get much warm sunshine, it’s a case of wrap and and put up really.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I really like La Thuile. Great little ski area. Passo Tonale gets a great write-up for families, but probably not as good a ski area as La Thuile. Passo Tonale probably has a better choice of accommodation than La Thuile, though there's a big hotel right on the piste front in La Thuile. Having been to La Thuile in January, it is cold (La Thuile's nickname is Little Siberia). But I don't know if Passo Tonale will be any better.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Many thanks for your reply. Is it cold but sunny or cold and in shade?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
La Thuile mainly faces East, Pila mainly faces North-West. When I was in Aosta valley, I didn't notice either being noticeably colder than the other, although clearly wasn't a both on the same day. If the sun is shining at both places there will be some pistes in the sun at some points, and equally some in the shade - La Thuile gives you a bit more scope for finding the sun as you can ski off both sides of the top "ridge" whereas Pila is a all in "bowl". Having shady pistes is good, they don't get all slushy in the afternoon.

Wear an extra base / mid layer, there is no such thing too cold, just badly dressed
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Tomy81 wrote:
It depends on the weather. The town is valley to the North East of the mountain and can be in the shade once into the afternoon. The flattish area from mid station is North facing, but not shaded. The Col area gets much more sun. If you want sun then ski to south facing La Rosiere

The snow in La Thuile is usually excellent. If the wind blows, and it is a cold day, then above mid station can be BRUTAL. That said, La Ros/La Thuile is where we had some of our best ever holidays
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Tomy81, as others have said, there's slopes with different aspects, so if the sun is out, you can get some sun somewhere in La Thuile. La Rosiere is south facing so sunny (and slushy Smile)
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Just on the weather point, we were in Passo Tonale over New Year and was expecting it to be very cold, but the freezing point was above the top of the glacier (>3000m) on a few days, and in the resort it got to about 8c - which in the sun was pretty toasty. I ended up skiing in a T-shirt and jacket... The umbrella bar even had its roof off!

Possibly not the seasonal norm though!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
We did La Thuile as a group some years ago in January, some days were nice and sunny. As others have said it'll depend upon the time of day and where you are on the mountain as to how cold it feels. I didn't dress any warmer than I would anywhere else and I recall actually shedding a layer now and again.

As an aside, when you stop for lunch in La Rosiere you realise how much cheaper food and drink is in La Thuile. Within the town in La Thuile there are several nice restaurants at a range of prices, all were very good as you'd expect in Italy. La Thuile is also quite a charming village at night, the walk from the resort into town is very pretty. We didn't stay out late but there didn't seem to be much nightlife beyond a decent cocktail bar/restaurant that did nice drinks. Also a good cheese shop within the resort complex if I recall.

In terms of skiing I thought La Thuile good. For the not so confident skiers lessons were reasonably priced and easy to book. I was at the more experienced end of our group and really enjoyed the more challenging runs which are exhilarating - one of two of the black runs are just outstanding. Some have been used in World Cups I think we were told. Also, there is a really cool bar/restaurant off one of the red runs called the Offshore Bar that has very quirky and interesting items of decoration. Great for a hot chocolate.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Tomy81, La Thuile can be cold on the lifts if the wind is blowing ( same as anywhere of course ) I found it’s my face that needs protection if it’s blowing, and use a bluff that I can pull up to my goggles, once skiing it’s fine if your properly dressed. I’ve only been at Feb half term, snow conditions have always been good.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Passo Tonale is in the Val di Sole which was a pretty accurate description when we went further up the valley to Folgarida. Pretty much T-shirt weather, eating outside all week in early Feb. It depends on what you're prepared to compromise but MdC is worth compromising for if you want to maximise your chances of pleasant temps. Passo Tonale never looks inviting passing through on the coach but maybe there's a hidden attractive side.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Riccardo wrote:
Passo Tonale is in the Val di Sole which was a pretty accurate description when we went further up the valley to Folgarida. Pretty much T-shirt weather, eating outside all week in early Feb. It depends on what you're prepared to compromise but MdC is worth compromising for if you want to maximise your chances of pleasant temps. Passo Tonale never looks inviting passing through on the coach but maybe there's a hidden attractive side.

Nah, nothing much attractive about it. Treeless up and down runs, one hotel after another, and the one we stayed in is apparently the only 5* yet the restaurant was still a buffet!

Mind you I'd happily take that over no ski holiday at all. Which was basically where we were...
ski holidays
La Thulie vs Paso Tonale vs St Moritz

Three resorts I never expected to see mentioned in the same sentence...

Ask yourself this - what would Whitegold have done?
snow report
St Moritz can be very inconvenient for skiing, as accommodation can be really far from the lift departure points, and you need to be willing to travel to the various skiing areas to make the most of it - not a realistic proposition with childcare concerns IMO.
As for the town, while beautifully located on a sunny ledge above frozen lakes (with a neighborhood further down, next to the lake), is no beauty itself.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy