Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

From Milano to Tignes by train - assistance is kindly requested

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
A lucky friend of mine ends his Cervinia ski trip at Milano Airport on Thursday January 13 at 6 AM.
He intends to arrive to Tignes same day.
Any ideas how to do efficiently do it?
We tried searching on Rome2Rio with no success. Trainline.com had Chambery as the mid startion, but the first train leaves at 14 and arrives to Bourg at 22:37.
Any other option? I've contemplated getting to Turin for the Linkbus to Serre Chevalier area but it's suspended till February
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If, and that’s a big if, your friend is allowed to enter France, then bus to Aosta, local bus Aosta to Courmayuer, bus through Mont Blanc tunnel to Chamonix, then internal France train
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@drporat, Hmmm. tricky.

I'd be surprised if starting from Milan is better than starting from Cervinia. Probs a local service Cervinia-Aoste.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@drporat, does efficiency refer to total time, number of changes or price?

Taxi Milan Malpensa? to Milan Lampugnano bus station 35 minutes.
Flixbus 07:30 from Milan Lampugnano bus station to Chamonix 11:25 €11.99.
Taxi Chamonix to Albertville (1h15 mins approx journey, R2R says €150-€180). BlaBlaCar might also have options for this.
Train 13:36 Albertville to BSM 14:36 €8.20.
Altibus 15:50 BSM to Tignes 17:15 €12.

Taxi or public bus from airport to Milan Lampugnano bus station.
Flixbus 09:30 from Milan Lampugnano bus station to Chambery 14:40 €35.99.
Train Chambery 16:31 BSM 17:23 €19.60.
Taxi to Tignes R2M says €70-80.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If your friend can get to Torino Porta Susa there is a train to Chambery: 07:36 - 10:15. The connection leaves at 11:31, arriving in Bourg at 13:23.
There is an 06:00 from Chatillon to Torino which connects but that's only 11 minutes which some could consider to be tight (but it is a timetabled connection).
Otherwise, one of the bus companies in the VdA is Vita - their transfer website quotes €235 from Cervinia to Porta Susa at that time of day - saving a taxi fare from Cervinia to Chatillon.
https://www.transfervallee.eu/transfer-privato
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@drporat, thetrainline.com shows difficulties on that Thursday as opposed to other days. A bit of a puzzle. It looks as if the problem is getting from Chambery to Bourg st Maurice. SNCF appears to be offereing coaches, but these don't appear to connect very well.

So my sugggestion is the same as @Gämsbock to look at the trainline web site and click on coach journeys. The Flixbus leaves Milano at 9:30 and gets to Chambery at 14:40 (it is very slow compared to the normal TGV) then get the 15:31 train to BsM at 17:23. I'll leave it to you on how to get from BsM to Tignes.

The other alterantive, of course is blablacar
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I looked up Bahn.de for the times I gave above.
Looking at https://www.sncf.com/en gives the same two trains, 07:36-10:15/11:31-13:23, and a later train + bus connection which should get into BSM at 20:34. If he's got an early start already then why not take the earlier connection?
Given that SNCF might know more about their timetable than trainline, I'm confused abbout the "Thursday problem". . . .
There's a comment on bahn.de for the earlier connection ex Turin: "Nationwide «3G» rule applies on trains: valid proof must be presented " which is not surprising.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Nemisis, thanks - I've just checked it.
Leaving Malpensa at 5:43/06:19 will get him to Porta Susa at 08:24 or 08:54 according to R2R. He can't leave earlier, must put his wife on the return flight before continuing for yet another week.
The problems some people have.... NehNeh
SNCF.org shows the first train from Porta Susa on that date at 15:41, arriving to Chambery at 18:06. And then a bus to BSM arriving at 20:34 but impossible to book it on their website.
Looks like @Gämsbock and @johnE suggestion will get him earlier to BSM.
@geoffknight, @under a new name, thanks but too many buses and it seems there's no train from Chamonix to BSM on that day. Strange
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Yes, having to actually visit Malpensa makes the difference. The over-riding bottleneck is the Frejus rail tunnel - it looks like there's less than ten passenger trains a day through it.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
You could take the Jet of Ease from Malpensa to Paris CDG (0625) for £25 and then work your way back to Bourg St Maurice par TGV.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I seem to get the following on the SNCF website for 13th January. Seems incredibly cheap to me, I may have done something wrong. Never done it myself, but if you can get direct from Paris CDG to Bourg St Maurice for 28 euros, and you can get to Paris CDG from Malpensa for £25, it's got to be worth a look. Anyway, I'm sure I've got other things I need to be getting on with.....

Journey details,
9:40
AEROPORT CDG2 TGV ROISSY
15:07
BOURG ST MAURICE
Duration 5h275 hours 27 minutes,
direct
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@YellowAndBlue, many thanks. Will check
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
It depends how light your friend can travel...

La Thuile is just up the road from Cervinia.
Pack everything in a ruck sack and ski over to La Rossiere.
La Rossiere is just down the road from Tignes snowHead
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
admin wrote:
It depends how light your friend can travel...

La Thuile is just up the road from Cervinia.
Pack everything in a ruck sack and ski over to La Rossiere.
La Rossiere is just down the road from Tignes snowHead

I've met a ski instructor who claimed to have done similar (might have been Cervinia / Zermat) with wheeled luggage in tow. I seem to remember he said the lift was the tricky bit and he got some funny looks.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy