Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Taking someone’s contact details following a collision

Poster: A snowHead
I was involved in a collision this morning. Apart from self inflicted tumbles, it’s the first time I’ve been involved in a collision and the first time something has happened that could’ve ended with a serious injury. Anyway, I didn’t take the other parties details and they didn’t take mine - but in hindsight I probably should’ve done. I was completely the innocent party in this btw!

I’m sure most of us have injury stories, so I’m going to indulge you with mine and let you guys decide whether I should’ve swapped details. It might help someone else. Apologies if this is long.

It was about 9.30am this morning and after New Year’s Eve it was pretty much deserted. My OH and I had done a couple of runs - nicely groomed relatively hard, but quite grippy pistes. I was ahead of my OH and I was stood to the side of the piste at a junction of two pistes. Where I was stood was pretty flat (about 50m of flat looking uphill). I was watching my OH ski down and noticed someone coming down pretty fast. They skied quite close to her which wasn’t necessary considering they were the only ones coming down a nice wide blue run. I carried on watching my OH when I noticed this person heading in my direction. At first, I thought that they’d stick a turn in to move away from me. The next thing, they hit the deck and they’re sliding rapidly towards me. I didn’t have much time to think and certainly no time to get out of the way. My only thought was to try and jump over them. I might’ve got lucky and they slid right under me, or at worse they’d hit me while I’m in the air rather than my feet/skis planted on the ground. Very Happy

He did exactly the latter and hit me as I was mid jump. He took me straight off my feet and took one of my skis with him. I came out of it quite lucky. I think I must’ve spun in the air and landed on my backside/lower back. It definitely hurt quite a bit, so much that I let out quite a yell. After laying there for a few seconds trying to work out whether there was any serious damage, I treated the guy to some fairly agricultural language (he may have learnt some new English vocabulary). Once I’d had my say, I did ask him if he was ok (he was rolling around the floor making noises!) - he said he was in pain, but thought he was ok. I told him he should take it steady and not ski so fast and out of control. It was then he came out with this pearler, “It’s this rubbish snow. It’s too icy. I’ve just come from Norway where the snow is soft and fluffy.” Very Happy Very Happy To which I replied, “Maybe you need to have a few runs steady, so you can get used to the conditions.” We dusted ourselves down and went our separate ways.

I knew I’d end up with a decent bruise and probably be a bit sore on my backside (I don’t think a back protector would’ve helped me here). Since I’ve got home I also have a sore neck and I’m getting some pain in my lower arm (opposite side to the impact). It’s probably nothing, but a good few hours after the collision I am wondering whether it was as a result. I’m thinking I was probably quite lucky as it could’ve been a lot worse, but I’m also thinking we should’ve swapped details just in case.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I would say to take details, you might not notice all of your injuries until later.

From experience, if you need physio to recover fully it may not be covered either by your insurance or the NHS.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If in doubt, swap details.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@rjs, nhs physio would be covered. Getting an appointment would be the issue
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@holidayloverxx, Same thing in practice.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I don’t live in the U.K. at the moment. Social security covers 75% of any treatment and I’d have to cover the remaining 25%. Probably a greater reason to swap details. Although, I don’t actually know if treatment here is expensive or not - I’ve had no need to test it out yet!

Getting an appointment is easy.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Sat 1-01-22 20:35; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Your language was far more polite than mine would have been.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@hammerite, What country was this in? I read that some countries were requiring 3rd party insurance now for skiing.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Nadenoodlee wrote:
Your language was far more polite than mine would have been.

I’m not so sure! He got the whole repertoire at first - including a word I wouldn’t usually utter that begins with C. Right now he’s probably googling what a bell end is too. Very Happy

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Sat 1-01-22 20:40; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
rjs wrote:
@hammerite, What country was this in? I read that some countries were requiring 3rd party insurance now for skiing.

Andorra. I have a season pass with insurance included.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@hammerite, That's a big accident - condolences.

You ask whether you should have taken his details and the answer is yes you should have, especially since you are exposed to 25% of what could (but hopefully won't) be some major medical bills.

Fingers crossed for you. snowHead
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@red 27, thanks. I think overall I’ll be fine. It’s just got me thinking.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Sorry to hear about your accident hammerite, pleased you seem ok, and hopefully just bruises.

Regards the details, had you asked for the gents, how would you confirm they are correct ? Just asking as neither SWMBO or myself ever carry any offical paperwork. reckless skiers potentially could give false details, and ski off for eternity.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Bones, true, but at the moment people are having to carry all manner of details, on their phones if nowhere else. And it's wise on the continent, where it's mostly compulsory to carry proof of identity, to carry at least a copy of the passport page with your photo etc on it.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hope you'll be OK, @hammerite. You raise an important question, to which I've given scarcely no thought. When I was knocked down in a collision and turned out to have broken my pelvis, we didn't exchange details, and though it was near a lift, and the lift attendant called the pisteurs, she didn't suggest it either. The other person was a French man, who twisted his knee as he went down, but seemed OK. He was very concerned about me and wanted to help me up, as did my brother in law who I was skiing with, but I couldn't stand, and just told them I need to continue to sit on the snow (when absolutely nothing hurt - it only hurt when I needed to weight bear on that leg, in a way which made it 100% clear it wasn't going to happen). He was persuaded to go off, as we waited a while for the rescuers, but went up the lift and came back down again to see how I was. The collision was caused by his suddenly swerving to avoid another skier - because of the odd lie of the land, I was "carrying my way" up the slope to the lift, to avoid having to herringbone the last bit, and he was coming down to the lift from the other direction, then suddenly was in front of me. I, arguably, should have been going slower towards the lift - and he probably should have been going slower too. I was not at all clear whose "fault" it was, but as he was twice my size, and half my age, and a nice guy, he felt badly about it. But exchange details? Never occurred to us, it seems, nor to anyone else around. My brother in law, who speaks no French, had alerted the liftie and she probably didn't realise, when she was telling the office that an elderly Englishwoman was injured, that I did!
latest report
Hurtle wrote:
@Bones, true, but at the moment people are having to carry all manner of details, on their phones if nowhere else. And it's wise on the continent, where it's mostly compulsory to carry proof of identity, to carry at least a copy of the passport page with your photo etc on it.

Ah, ok - not skied in Europe for around 15 years or so, and believe it or not, can manage quite easily without a phone on the slopes Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
@Bones, that thought did occur to me too. Also what do you do if the guy just refuses to give his details (short of threatening violence - which isn’t really my thing!)?

@pam w, yes, it sounds like your collision was less clear cut. I hope you’ve recovered well. Interesting point about language. The guy who hit me (I think he was Spanish) spoke excellent English, but that isn’t often the case here. I’ve not lived here long and my Catalan/Spanish are both pretty poor. I rely on Google Translate a lot!
latest report
@Bones,
Quote:

can manage quite easily without a phone on the slopes

Blimey, I can't, not with my capacity for getting lost!
latest report
I suppose if they refuse to give details you can speak to a liftie especially as it was as quiet as it was. He would be easy to find. We encountered him quite a few times during the day and annoyingly he was a good skier.
snow report
Ah the old blame/victim culture we live in. If you’re both fine just dust yourself and get on with it. Mistakes happen, if someone was at fault they should apologise but that’s about it.
snow conditions
hammerite wrote:

He got the whole repertoire at first - including a word I wouldn’t usually utter that begins with C. Right now he’s probably googling what a bell end is too. Very Happy

You just needed to call him an 'ass' to complete the set Toofy Grin

Just watch that neck pain that you mentioned. Worth checking out it if persists
ski holidays
@Ionizingskin, how do you determine there and then that you are 100% ok? I know of people who have needed reconstructive surgery following (non skiing) incidents where they initially thought they were ok.
ski holidays
When my husband had a collision with another skier (hit from behind) and broke his neck, there was no exchange of details, as the third party got up and skied off. Hubby then managed to get himself to the bottom of the piste and to the docs. There was no problem with his insurance claim.
latest report
@Hells Bells, ditto my brother-in-law. The perpetrator, who left him unconscious, was never found.
latest report
Always a good idea to take a photo of them … don’t expect authorities to be interested but you never know
snow report
Quote:

There was no problem with his insurance claim

This is the key thing, surely? Even with details exchanged, it would be time-consuming and costly to try to apportion blame, especially if you haven't also noted down the details of potential witnesses. And possibly add a lot of distress and hassle to an already unhappy situation.
snow report
@pam w, when I contacted them to start the claim, I was asked if I had the details of the other person, but there was no issue with me being unable to tell them.
ski holidays
My experience was in Italy, where the piste patrol are police. The local chief was with us when the accident happened so there was no problem with detaining the perp. The main decision was on whether to press charges, the piste patrol suggested not doing as it would have required returning to Italy for any trial, I should still have got contact details though.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@hammerite oh well in that case rolling eyes welcome to the real world internet ppl. If you’re on the slopes you’re taking a certain amount of risk of disaster scenarios happening. Again, just get on with it
snow conditions
pam w wrote:
Quote:

There was no problem with his insurance claim

This is the key thing, surely? Even with details exchanged, it would be time-consuming and costly to try to apportion blame, especially if you haven't also noted down the details of potential witnesses. And possibly add a lot of distress and hassle to an already unhappy situation.

Agree with this.

To play devil's advocate, in many situations the other party will hold the view that you are at fault and wish to claim from you. It's certainly not to avoid legal and moral consequences, but if you both involved at that point agree to the path forward without further formalized route, then that is not a bad situation if you feel comfortable to judge it so.
ski holidays
@pam w, it's a principle of insurance that you have to mitigate your loss. But if you can't eg with a hit and run, you can't.
ski holidays
I should have said "if you BOTH feel comfortable to judge it so"
snow report
Is it legally required for collision parties to exchange contact details?
latest report
I think the only reliable, traceable info might be a photo of the other party's lift pass and his/her face.
snow report
@Ionizingskin, you clearly didn’t read my post, because that’s exactly what I did! And that is my usual reaction to most things. I’m just questioning whether it was the right choice.
snow conditions
@blueski2, I had that thought earlier, but you can buy a lift pass for cash, so it's still a potential dead end.
ski holidays
abc wrote:
Is it legally required for collision parties to exchange contact details?
I don't think so, if you mean by that that it's a crime not do so. But happy to be corrected.
latest report
I've seen a number of relatively minor collisions which could have caused significant ongoing problems (though not been involved in many, thankfully) and sometimes stopped to help pick up gear scattered round a slope, etc etc. Never been aware of anybody "exchanging details" and although my collision was near a lift, and the liftie was involved, neither she nor the pisteurs showed any interest in details (and as I said, the guy was kind of hanging around, certainly not a hit and run). So in France, at any rate, it doesn't by any means seem the usual thing to do, though where car accidents are involved, there is a special form which must be completed, with all relevant details. "Constat Amiable d'Accident". I had one in my car for years but fortunately never had to use it.
latest report
@pam w, I was about to ask what, for insurance purposes, would be the difference between a collision on the slopes and in a car. As to what the 'law of the land' is, in terms of criminal liability, that's a different matter, and probably differs from country to country.
ski holidays
About 15 years ago in Mayrhofen we were skiing down a blue at the end of the day, families and kids everywhere. A bloke comes tanking through in a straightline and totally skittles a kid. He teied to ski off and a few of us intercepted him. Russian pissed as a fart, could hardly stand. A tiny Austrian woman took charge and basically twatted him with her skipole into handing over his passport. I left not knowing Russian or German and fearful of his prospects of escaping a (well deserved) beating.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy