Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski in / ski out in Germany?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Can anyone recommend a ski in / ski out hotel for late Feb in Germany?

I’ve got a child with knees that keep sublaxing (popping out and in) so I’m anticipating some days being cut short.

We’re booked for Austria but the kids haven’t had their boosters so we can’t get in there as it stands.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If they are 15 or under you can.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Sadly they’re 15 & 17.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Maybe have a look at Obertsdorf(DE)/Kleinwalsertal(AT). Söllereck might have a suitable place. No direct knowledge just what I picked up from pricing up a potential trip.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@LavaLaura, ski in ski out difficult to find in Germany. Definitely not at Söllereck / Oberstdorf. Probably a couple of places in Kleinwalsertal, which is in Austria, but subject to German rules I think
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Things could (will) change significantly over the next two months so very difficult to make plans one way or the other. The skiing areas in Germany are all on the small side and most are pretty low. Obertsdorf, mentioned above, is one but half of the area is in Austria (no idea which set of rules apply in the Kleinwalsertal as it is in Austria but only accessible from Germany). Other areas might be Garmisch, Spitzingsee & Bayrischzell. I would think it is pretty doubtful that any of them would have ski in / out accommodation. If this is a key thing you are probably better off looking at Italy or Switzerland.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Steilhang, good to know. Thought most likely to find ski-in/ski-out in the German part of the Kleinwalsertal rather than say Garmisch. +1 for local knowledge Very Happy
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks everyone!

As an added complication we have health coverage in Germany but would need additional insurance for Austria etc. Haven’t even started to pursue that issue yet.

Any thoughts on the biggest ski area in Germany? We’re mixed ability - me - beginner+, kids better, DH advanced.

Maybe we could settle for somewhere with excellent cafes on the slopes if my son needs to stop. Or where we can bus to the hotel and leave skis in a locker? That means I don’t need to go back later to pick the rest of the party up.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I dont personally know Obertsdorf / Kleinwalsertal but it is probably the biggest but a good deal of it is in Austria. Garmisch is OK for a couple of days and has the added attraction of the small glacier (not much of that) ski area at the top of the Zugspitze. The lifts are away from the centre of the town. Spitzingsee is small and not particularly easy to access. There are a couple of hotels at the bottom of the lifts but practically everyone would stay in Tegernsee or Schliersee. Bayrischzell is possibly the best option but even then not sure it suits what you want. It needs very good conditions to ski back to the valley, getting the lift back is more usual and the lift is a bit of a way from the centre of the village.

You might be better off trying to sort Austria, either Saalbach Hinterglemm or Zauchensee are a couple of options that might work (if budget no issue look at Oberlech), others can suggest other places
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
If you can manage to get into Austria,
Hoch Solden is the only place that comes to mind for Ski in or Out.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@DrLawn, Oberlech has perfect ski in/out. Not the cheapest place on the planet mind!
Problem with the ski area in Oberstdorf/Kleinwalsertal is that it consists of a number of ski areas which are not connected. The main area being Fellhorn/Kanzelwand spans Germany & Austria (the major part is in Germany), but then you have Nebelhorn and Söllereck in Germany, Ifen, Walmendigerhorn and Heuberg all in Kleinwalsertal / Austria. I like all of them, but then I am not averse to pounding the same (off piste) runs over and over again, so don't need big mega resorts to cover miles.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hi @Steilhang, Gruss Gott! Very Happy I've never been up to Obergurgle.
I know you are a big fan of Kitzbuehel and so am I Cool

I know people who have been to Oberstdorf/Kleinwalsertal area a long time ago, but I've not been myself.
I'm very fond of the other side of the hill in the Vorarlberg valley, in Particular Damuls as that is where I really got the taste for Austria.
In the past it was unusual to be able to get through to Lech from Warth in the winter time due to road closures.

I've just noticed you said Obelech not Obergurgle ... sorry I agree entirely Ober Lech would be the ultimate, but to stay there or Zurs with the family is going to be very hard on the Visa Card Confused
Or take Sandwiches Toofy Grin
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I know it's Austria, but Hochfugen is on the verge of ski-in / out - at least there's 1 hotel that's partially on a piste (the Lamark), but there may well be others.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy