Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Reducing boot Zeppa angle aka "Nothing to do New Year Nerd fest"

Poster: A snowHead
I have run out of DIY jobs, serviced my skis, done every bit of paperwork I can imagine and am soooooo bored being stuck in covid jail that I am making up nerdy ski jobs that probably are a complete waste of time while I do my isolation time as need something else to do...... Toofy Grin

For background I have had 4 pairs of the same model of Atomic boots over the last 10 years or so and have gotten very used to the forward lean and Zeppa angle (17deg and 2.6deg). Im tall and fairly sensitive to ramp angle and have all my skis set to zero binding ramp when using these boots.

I hated every pair of touring boots I ever had but bought some new touring boots last year (Lange XT Free Pro Model Low Volume 140) which I really like the fit of and they actually skied pretty well at Hemel during the shutdown. But.... taking em out on the real mountain I didn't feel quite as balanced so am thinking about tweaking em...

The Langes are 14 deg forward lean and have a 4degree zeppa. I actually measured both boots zeppa angles and they are exactly as advertised. Might not sound a lot being 1.4 deg different but in my boot sole length the maths say that the height difference is 7mm from toe to heel which is quite a bit and as I really notice that amount of ramp angle on my bindings I am thinking of reducing the langes to 2.6 and maybe adding some more spoiler to the rear to increase the Forward lean.

The boot board on the langes is made of expanded foam and I am leary of grinding it down. I have narrow low volume feet and even the "low volume" version I have still give me a bit of room in the toe box. Im thinking of making up a shim 7mm high at toe to tapering to 0mm at the heel to get the zeppa angle to 2.6 degrees.

Has anyone tried to do this ? Is anyone geeky enough to have even though of this ? Shocked
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Gonna be easier to grind the existing board than making a new one for multiple reasons. Have you asked Colin he's got any spares or can order you some so that the grinding is then risk free? Or just man up and go for it Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I got some 1mm neoprene sheet and am thinking of layering strips together to make a wedge then putting that on top of the existing base board. I have a bit of extra space in the boot so gonna try packing em out a touch in the first instance before getting the grinder out and mucking the boots up

Asking Colin is too easy and cheating;)

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Sat 1-01-22 14:58; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Why do you need the wedge to taper? I would expect the height under the ball of your foot to be the only important bit.

I use layers of cereal packet to make alignment wedges then stick them to the boot board with double sided carpet tape.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@rjs, if I just prop up the bit under the ball of foot by 7mm I’m worried I might crack my footbed . Like your cardboard the rubber sheet i have should do the job
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Since you’re bored and looking for something to do … could you explain what the Zeppa angle is?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Pejoli, this is pretty good explanation http://albertaalpine.ca/2019/08/29/ski-tips-angles/
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Pejoli, I was wondering that too, but I did find some good snow related advice
here

Actually my mistake, that's the Zappa angle... Toofy Grin
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@skimottaret, surely this is the excuse you need to buy yourself a 3D printer?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
According to google "zeppa angle" has 10 references online, so full points for that one. Anyone know the etymology?

(As a hard boot snowboarder, my boot footbed angle is hyper important and notoriously different across different boots.
We use wedges which are typically plastic (eg F2) although can be titanium or even 3D printed to compensate.
As you note if they put more lean in the footbed then I'd expect less forward lean: if you compensate for the footbed slope, you'll possibly need to dial in more forward lean.
If you run out of range, then aftermarket lean adjusters (eg Phantom) deliver a a larger range than the standard adjusters for Atomic Backland boots, which is what I use them for.)
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@spyderjon, I actually know a guy who has one Wink this tweeking might be just a first step to getting custom zeppas made up... ultra geek time Smile

I am also playing with my lateral shimming at the moment. more than a few years ago when Andi determined my setup I ended up zero delta, 2.6 Zeppa and 1.5 deg of cant shimming on the medial side to get get my knee joint in the right position due to some pronation and my knees being worn out. My current pair Atomics have 1.5 deg canting built in on the baseboards which wasn't the case on previous generations of the same boot. Colin (like most fitters) prefers not to add shims inside the boot but I recon you can get away with 0.5 to 1.5 cant shims within the boot without too much agro...

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Sat 1-01-22 16:22; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@philwig, Zeppa is Italian for baseboard I think.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Zeppa is Italian for wedge.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Nerd Fest Laughing Laughing Laughing
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quick update for all Zeppa nerds out there. The 1 1/2 degree reduction in Zeppa angle worked a treat for me and really helped on my balance. I swapped between my Atomics and Lange boots a few days and the mods made a real difference.

Nerd o rama success Toofy Grin
latest report
No please, do talk us through it - its important you champion this little know cause...
one might say...
that you...

Lead Zeppa Lean

its a topic which rarely gets a whole lotta love...

mmmm....
ski holidays
@Richard_Sideways, don't encourage him to ramble on, or there'll be a communication breakdown and we'll be trampled underfoot.

I'll get my coat.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy