Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Obergurgl - April 22?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Would you recommend for 2 adults (one late 60s and possibly a non-skier) plus 2 kids, 6 & 8?

I've skied a few times - only French resorts - but first time on slopes for other 3 so good ski school essential.

Going high given time of year and looking at Hotel Austria but not sure about access to nursery slopes? Also is it crazy to book now with tour operator?!

Any other resort/accommodation suggestions welcome.

Thanks in advance Little Angel
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Anyone? Keen to book today!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Never been, but there are several threads on Obergurl : two for example ::

Booking with tour operator? - would be my preferred option, as long as it was one on the big ones...

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=3483014&highlight=obergurgl#3483014

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2684407&highlight=obergurgl#2684407

Oh -- Welcome to SnowHeads Wink
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I have stayed thee (H. Austria) in April with similar aged kids- good place imv.

In terms of access to nursery slopes there are a couple of areas that can be used - so I would check when booking ski school (which one and how best to get there), however...

If based at the H. Austria, there is a very simple, short and level access to the two main beginner areas for all but absolute beginners (if you look at google maps you can see the blue run the other side of the tennis court next to the hotel). The blue is very very flat ... turn left and there is an area for absolute beginners (magic carpet and short drag lift), or turn right and up a slight slope (30m along) you can access the quite extensive "blue" area around the excellent Nedehutte with longer runs and lifts for not completely beginners. Both have ski school meeting points. This really means that a couple of lessons on a dry/indoor slope will pay massive dividends for your family and the ski porter )I assume. you) in terms of slope access and enjoyment.

On top of that, yes tour operator might give some Covid "protection" / peace of mind (though what they will do if you get +ve tests is, I think, limited /limiting) - I went with Crystal, but if doing again, would diy and pay for taxi from airport (its about 1 hr unless you have to wait for everyone else!!).

Things to note: -
The pool - is not actually in the H. Austria, but next door at H. Bellevue (underground tunnel links). The outside bit of the pool gets very hot in the afternoon (and was small /crowded - I can imagine that being affected with Covid) - at least take swim vest, hat and sunglasses for kids (and don't forget to bring them on the long walk to the pool!).

Afternoon cakes - were free but the drinks were not (worth checking with the TO if this is still the case)... strangely, a cup of tea was quite expensive....!

Obergurgl - I really liked for not quite beginners - short transfer, good snow even in April, great variety of blues around the excellent Nederhutte and further blue slopes to progress to... its the intermediates who might get bored!

So basically I would recommend.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks so much both!

Very helpful Wildsmith.

Just now deciding whether to book direct.. Have read some hair raising stories of ppl trying to change plans with operators. Booking direct is similar price in terms of flights/accommodation but taxi added extra - getting quotes online of E300? With car sick 8 yo might be best option..
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I'd pretty mich agree with all that has been said other than we've stayed a number of times at The Alpina which, IIRC, is just behind the Hotel Austria and directly on the slope, so very near the Kinderland that is on the Festkogel lift side of the resort.

Decent hotel, great resort for what you want, I'd suggest, and an excellent ski school.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Cuan37 wrote:
Thanks so much both!

Very helpful Wildsmith.

Just now deciding whether to book direct.. Have read some hair raising stories of ppl trying to change plans with operators. Booking direct is similar price in terms of flights/accommodation but taxi added extra - getting quotes online of E300? With car sick 8 yo might be best option..

If it's any help, booking directly with the resort has free cancellation gaurantees currently.

https://www.gurgl.com/winter.html

As to travel, we've done it many ways and it might be worth thinking of the train from Innsbruck to Oetztal and a taxi to the hotel - it'll cut down the time in the car and it a lovely 45 min journey in a very efficient and comfortable train.

The rail app can be dowonloaded here to check out times, etc https://apps.apple.com/at/app/%C3%B6bb/id1041401604?l=en If you go down this route it might be worth looking at one of the discount cards ("Vorteilscard") such as the ÖBB Vorteilscard Family.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks ptex. I had booked before I saw your post! Went with tour operator as it was the only way we could get an apartment - called direct and only rooms left. Will reassess in Feb before paying balance but will most likely take our chances..

Thanks for the train app - looks ideal as we are v v keen to avoid the 1 hr 45 min bus!

Cannot wait! Only 91 days to go.. after a v long (10 year) break!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Have a great time!

If you're flying to Innsbruck, cab to the Hauptbahnhof ('Innsbruck Hbf' in the app) then train. Or bus from the airport to the station, only 10 mins or so.

Can't go wrong with Obergurgl.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:
Thanks for the train app - looks ideal as we are v v keen to avoid the 1 hr 45 min bus!
But isn't the transfer included as part of your holiday package? Why pay more Puzzled
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy