Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Bolzano Airport

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I see that there are intended to be direct flights from Gatwick to Bolzano, operated by Skyalps, on Weds and Suns, from February. That is only 45 mins drive to Selva, so would be a great improvement to the existing options, but looks a slightly scary location. The flight times are not brilliant, sadly (no early morning flight from London, so no skiing on day of arrival, and return is at 14.10, so limited skiing on return day), so not ideal for a long weekend, which I often do via Innsbruck. But great for a Sun-Sun trip.

Anyone ever flown into Bolzano? Anyone know anything about Skyalps?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@rg1, How funny, I just came across Skyalps today and was wondering the same thing.

When I look back at some old threads believe that @denfinella flew into Bolzano on Ryanair for a trip to Passo Tonale and it surrounding ski areas
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Some years ago I flew to Bolzano from Manchester with Austrian Airlines / Lauda Air. It was great and I would do it again if it were possible
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
had a quick nose. 190 euro each way with luggage.
Think I'll stick to ej/ra
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I have driven past Bolzano many times but have never looked at the airport (note to self - "must look")
There was a newspaper article somewhere years ago which referred to Ryanair and Bolzano, but I always thought that the journalist wrote "Bolzano" when he meant "Bologna". Whilst Bolzano Airport might have the budget to kick back airport taxes I just don't see it as being a destination for mass market Low Cost Carriers - let's hope that I'm wrong.
The biggest snags I can forsee for skiers other than the timetable is that they are small aircraft (ex-FlyBe?) with very limited space for ski carriage (€55 each way?) and as propeller aircraft they are relatively slow - Skyalps to Bolzano and then up to (say) Val Gardena might not be that much quicker than a Boeing to Innsbruck and then up to Val Gardena (weather permitting, of course).
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
JHS wrote:
Some years ago I flew to Bolzano from Manchester with Austrian Airlines / Lauda Air. It was great and I would do it again if it were possible

Me too !! :: It was brilliant for quick transfer to Selva :: However, the airport terminal is tiny - I remember having to stand outside for a while as they were processing an earlier flight.

Wouldn't stop me from using it in future tho'....

===== EDIT =====

"However, the airport terminal is tiny" - Not any more, new Terminal built in 2017

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Wed 29-12-21 16:07; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Great to hear it is good. Whilst a bit pricier, would probably make up a good chunk of that with cheaper taxi or transfer cost. Fair point on flight time - takes 2 hours 20 mins. But I assume that small plane and small airport should hopefully make for a pretty quick time to get through the airport on arrival (although Innsbruck is generally pretty quick too).

Bizarrely, Skyalps seems to have been financed by an Italian renewable energy company - an interesting investment for a company that makes a big thing of its green credentials!

Hoping to get away in Feb, in which case I will give it a go and report back.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Would be good if the big T/O's picked it up again ; can't remember which company I used, TUI/Crystal or Inghams ('twas a long time ago...)
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
ster wrote:
@rg1When I look back at some old threads believe that @denfinella flew into Bolzano on Ryanair for a trip to Passo Tonale and it surrounding ski areas

No, it was Bergamo. I haven't flown to Bolzano.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
denfinella wrote:
ster wrote:
@rg1When I look back at some old threads believe that @denfinella flew into Bolzano on Ryanair for a trip to Passo Tonale and it surrounding ski areas

No, it was Bergamo. I haven't flown to Bolzano.

Sorry, misread it on a small screen!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy