Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Santander ferry

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi there - with the limitations of travel into France at the moment I am considering booking the ferry to Spain in Feb. Am I mad? What is the crossing like in bad weather? Is the journey okay?

I assume once in Spain we could drive back through France to the UK?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It is a reasonably large boat so I cannot imagine to bad even in a hoolie. Assuming the normal one is not out of service for refit or the suchlike
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Across Biscay in Feb? Urgh.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
https://www.myweather2.com/Marine/Sea-Areas/Bay-Of-Biscay/Biscay-Lat-4500-Lon-800.aspx Boat goes up, boat goes down ,repeat.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yep I'd be hesitant. Once went on a rough summer crossing where the captain announced no one was to go on deck as the wave spray was lashing the decks so much it was a danger.....those decks are pretty high above the water line Shocked
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Elsie80, why not fly to Spain and ski in either Cerler, Baqueira, Formigal or a combination of all three? Even if you had to drive from Madrid or Barcelona to reach any of those resorts, it will be quicker than the ferry.

I've never been to any of those resorts, but looked into it in detail a few years ago. I liked the look of Cerler and staying in the nearby town of Benasque. I was then thinking of moving on to Baqueira for a few days.

Sierra Nevada could also be good for those who just want to get some skiing in this year, presuming that Spain's entry requirements don't change. Sierra Nevada can be busy at weekends, but quite quiet during the week. Easy to get to from Malaga airport, not that difficult from Madrid either.

I'm surprised more people aren't considering a ski trip to Spain this year. However, if you've already booked accommodation in France then I appreciate it may not be that simple to switch.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
YellowAndBlue wrote:
@Elsie80, why not fly to Spain and ski in either Cerler, Baqueira, Formigal or a combination of all three? Even if you had to drive from Madrid or Barcelona to reach any of those resorts, it will be quicker than the ferry.

Excellent suggestion (I’m not a fan of S.Nevada though).
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Even in the summer that crossing can be dicey! The kids won't go on it after one trip in it a few years ago so we now go via Le Havre. 36 hours of vomit! Skullie I was fine, obviously, but the rest of the family... not so much.

I did enjoy the whale talk in the bar and fair play to the others who turned up and spent the hour educating themselves whilst reminding themselves what they had for breakfast. Joyful.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We did this crossing in July, way out fine no issues, way back horrible. Apparently even in the summer it’s a 50/50 as to whether it will be a bad crossing. I only found this out while onboard, that supposedly they bay of biscay is know for being a bad crossing.

We have crossed overnight to Holland, Belgium and France many times, and are pretty tough even on rough crossings, but this was a different level.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Guess it depends on how much you are affected by rough seas.

I have several childhood memories of good lunches during crossings of the Channel and the Minch when nobody else was interested in the family picnic. I was also on the Hook - Harwich ferry on the night of the Great Storm of 1987 and slept right through it.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.

snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy