Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

recommendation for spending 1 month at a place in the Alps

Poster: A snowHead
Hello snow friends,

I'm new here and not entirely sure if this is the right section to post. Apologise if not...

I am looking for advice for spending 1 month in an area in the Alps.

I used to live in America and spent 1 month at salt lake city every season.
It was perfect because
1) cheap accomodation (<$1000 for a month), food, and reliable internet,
2) ikon pass,
3) a proper city with access to various resorts/mountains,
4) ski touring possibilities and resources.

Now that I live in England, I'm looking to do the same thing in the Alps. I hope to spend one month anywhere in the Alps.
Is there an equivalent of salt lake city in the Alps? I'm thinking innsbruck? What should I expect to spend there for housing and car rental?

Thanks a lot in advance!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I lived in the US for a few years and I really enjoyed driving up every weekend to go skiing in Vermont. Also did trips to CO and UT (I had an epic pass).

For the Alpes I don't think there's an equivalent for an epic or ikon pass that gives you access to a range of resorts. You are better off staying in a specific resort and get a season pass there (rather than staying in a city a bit out like SLC in your example). You save on car rental in this case too.

In terms of resorts you probably wanted to stay in a big one like the three valleys. Internet on the mountain accommodation is patchy at best. Depending what you need the Internet for (e.g. if you need to work from home) you may be better to look for a co working space like the Ski Locker in Chamonix.

If you insist in staying in a nearby city you could consider Grenoble say. I was a student there a long time ago. It has good connection to resorts nearby and a good night life and it was cheap (at least when I was there).

I appreciate I haven't really answered your question or meet your conditions in my suggestions but I just wanted to give you a feel that skiing in Europe is quite a bit different from skiing in the US.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Dolomites
See which you get of bored first - the skiing or scenery or pasta

Best of all…. You can there by train from Innsbruck!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I think that you are right with Austria. The Superski pass or the Tirol snow card offer enormous ski areas. If you have transport, you can easily travel to local areas and cover big and small ski areas. Staying in a town without lifts should allow for decent accommodation in places which have a summer season but not a winter one.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
yoyowoo wrote:
Hello snow friends,

1) cheap accomodation (<$1000 for a month),

This one looks ideal for you. Better for the shorter skier I think, but nearly in budget Cool

https://www.thehomelike.com/apartment/individual-apartment-with-large-terrace-b4cd0e3749f56ca6923b?lang=en
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@yoyowoo, very tricky questions. I have a couple of suggestions

How big a city do you want? candidates could range from the big, such as Turin to the medium like Grenoble and Innsbruck and the smaller like Cortina or Wolkenstein

For accommodation Have a look at airbnb or other rental agengies but for less than €1000 per month you'll be looking at a bunk house or hostel. Car hire will also be expensive. I think you'll be better off buying a car and selling it at the end of the trip. Don't forget you will have to pay to park it in a city.

As @euanovsky, says you will probably be better off stying in a large resort such as the 3 valleys and forking out for a season pass. (or Bourg st Maurice commuting to the resorts). Internet access should not be a problem. Our apartment in Arc 1600 gets 25mb/s
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Do you have a car in England? If so then why not drive out to wherever you decide to go?

Somewhere like Albertville can be a similar drive to ski to SLC but there isn't a lift pass that covers every station around it, don't know whether there is a pass to cover places around Grenoble. Also don't know about medium-term rents in the valley, I have just stayed a few nights in a cheap chain hotel whenever I skied aroung Grenoble.

Innsbruck sounds closest to what you ask to me.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I’ve always thought Bourg st Maurice would be a good shout as a base for a few weeks - proper town with all facilities and pretty normal prices. Default (high and extensive) skiing via furnicular in Les arcs/ La Plagne. Also within daily/overnight distance - Tignes, Val D’isere, 3 valleys - and could always shoot up to some resorts around Annecy/Geneva.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

Also within daily/overnight distance - Tignes, Val D’isere, 3 valleys - and could always shoot up to some resorts around Annecy/Geneva.

I'm not sure if it's running this year but in previous years there was a free shuttle bus to the base of the La Rossiere lifts, a reasnobly sized resort in its own right. I'm told by a hut guardian that there is extensive winter touring and ski mountaineering in the area towards the Italian border. He was telling me because his high and remote hut is open during the winter. He thought I should visit.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Basically I don't think you will find a "proper city" with lots of different accessible resorts on the same pass. And you would have to research available rent prices. But assuming you had a car and were content with a town, people have mentioned Bourg St Maurice with access to Les Arcs (directly), La Plagne, Tignes, Val d'Isere and St Foy you could be further down the valley in Moutiers and have all the Three Valleys and Valmorel also accessible. You would need very early morning starts to cover travel times to some of those though.

Or slightly further north in the Haute Savoie, a place like Cluses would give you access to Les Gets or Morzine for Porte de Soleil, Les Carroz for Grand Massif, Combloux, Megeve or St Gervais for Evolution Mont Blanc, most of the access points for the Chamonix valley, plus other places like Grand Bornand, La Clusaz, Les Contamines, Les Houches and some smaller resorts.

In Italy Aosta would give access to Pila (directly), La Thuile, Courmayeur, and potentially over to Cervinia and others. In Italy Innsbruck gives a range of Tyrol resorts, but there are other possibilities and it is the one place where some resorts have combination passes.

Without a car you would be more limited. I remember Moutiers has bus links to a lot of resorts though, and I imagine Bourg St Maurice does. In the Haute Savoie Le Fayet (very definitely much smaller than a city!) would give you public transport access to the Chamonix valley and Les Houches, and Evolution Mont Blanc including Les Contamines - and you can get a Mont Blanc Unlimited pass covering them all. I think Austria is pretty good for public transport but know it less well.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Not a city, but peripheral to Geneva and with so much within easy reach is Cluses in France. Possibly doesn't come up on many a radar but good cost and very well located for relatively short journeys (it's effectively on route from Geneva to many of the north west alps principle ski areas) to reach and explore such a variety of sporting interests.

Although geographically "central" to so many areas, not generally a tourist destination as such but with that will come better cost for the items of interest to the OP.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Crossed over there with you @j b, but as already mentioned Cluses is very central to so much (sitting right in the centre of lakes Geneva, Annecy and Chamonix valley) it's often overlooked but able to offer a lot.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I’d aim for a season pass that covers a wide area first, then find somewhere to stay.

https://www.superskicard.com/en/superskicard.html
https://snowcard.tirol.at/
https://www.skiamade.com/seasonpass

Any of these would all be good.

If you want a proper town, you could live somewhere like Andorra La Vella. Then access to two ski areas within about 20 mins and a third in 40 mins.

https://skiandorra.ad/en/menu-14/ski-andorra.html
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Andycronshaw wrote:
I’ve always thought Bourg st Maurice would be a good shout as a base for a few weeks - proper town with all facilities and pretty normal prices. Default (high and extensive) skiing via furnicular in Les arcs/ La Plagne. Also within daily/overnight distance - Tignes, Val D’isere, 3 valleys - and could always shoot up to some resorts around Annecy/Geneva.

Another vote for Bourg - and I'd suggest an "A la carte" pass if you are going to try the various resorts in the area. https://www.skialacarte.fr/FrontOffice/ 3 Valleys /Tignes / Val & Arcs / La Plagne all covered. La Ros gets you a discount on a day pass rather than use the carte, and Ste Foy Wednesday 1/2 price with your Super U receipt.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Arctic Roll,
Quote:

Ste Foy Wednesday 1/2 price with your Super U receipt.

I didn't know about that one and may give it a go next time I'm in Les Arcs.
Incidently we have cancelled our Les Arcs season passes and are awaiting our refunds - It looks as if we may only get 15 days there this season at best.
latest report
Another couple of ski pass options are:

Aosta valley pass, using Aosta as a base. Car hire and accommodation are likely to be cheaper in Italy than France or Austria
MagicPass for a random selection of resorts in South West Switzerland. You could use Martigny, Sion or Sierre as a base. However, Switzerland will be more expensive
snow report
@johnE, was introduced to us by a Ste Foy resident - she had a stack of receipts, that covered the 6 of us visiting!
Not sure what to do with my season pass - I've had 5 days on it, not sure what they do about refunds in that case.

It's all so frustrating not knowing what's going to happen. Maybe cancel, and then rebuy a weekly if we do get out there late season.
snow report
ski3 wrote:
Crossed over there with you @j b, but as already mentioned Cluses is very central to so much (sitting right in the centre of lakes Geneva, Annecy and Chamonix valley) it's often overlooked but able to offer a lot.

As you say, not a city though a proper town. Seemed quite quiet though the only time we visited its centre (changing from bus to train and finding ourselves with an hour to find lunch). But a large number of ski access points within a 40 minute drive.

I have no knowledge of Northern American resorts at all, so I don't know what the comparator is for the OP wanting an equivalent to Salt Lake City. You couldn't ski out the whole Haute Savoie in a month.
snow report
Arctic Roll wrote:

Another vote for Bourg - and I'd suggest an "A la carte" pass if you are going to try the various resorts in the area. https://www.skialacarte.fr/FrontOffice/ 3 Valleys /Tignes / Val & Arcs / La Plagne all covered. La Ros gets you a discount on a day pass rather than use the carte, and Ste Foy Wednesday 1/2 price with your Super U receipt.

Another plus with "A la carte" is that you only pay on the days you actually use it, so don't feel you've got to go out on a really grotty day just because you've already forked out loads of money. Season pass bypasses that, of course. You also get 1-euro days on the 9th, 14th, 19th etc days of use, and Saturdays are often cheaper.
ski holidays
Salt Lake city has a population of roughly 200,000 - a bit less than Milton Keynes (but that is still awaiting city status). Now are there any ski slopes in the vicinity of Milton Keynes?

So we are looking at quite big cities. Even Grenoble has only 80% of that population. Some others mentioned are really little more than villages. For example Cortina has a population of 6000.

Looking at other Cities with a population of around 200,000 I came across Geneva and wonder why no one has mentioned it.
ski holidays
I must confess (and I have used SLC as a base for a trip) I'm not sure I'd be wanting to try and replicate that experience in Europe. I think you'd miss out on much of what makes Europe different.

It's perhaps a little analogous to saying, "I used to spend a month a year in Manhattan. I'd like to spend a month in Manhattan, except in Europe".

Personally, I'd be looking to find accommodation in a "satellite" village in one of the big European areas. Portes du Soleil, Espace Killy, etc., Or somewhere like Chamonix which is pretty easy to access many places e.g. Aosta valley, Verbier, PdS, etc.

Cluses is a bit of a hole, if one has to be rude!
snow conditions
@under a new name, your last sentence was what i have been thinking whilst reading this thread. Absolute dump.
ski holidays
@yoyowoo Well, if I was young and wanted a lively city/large town near to a ski area, then I'd live in Lausanne - it's a relatively young, lively, international university town on the shores of Lake Geneva. But not for just a month's break, focused on skiing. I'd favour a satellite resort and a studio or 1-bedroom apartment as four weeks isn't very long once you settle in. But you won't get even a studio for $1,000/month however, even in a satellite like La Tzoumaz, Nendaz or Veysonnaz: you might get a single room in a hostel somewhere like Le Chable, but if you wanted a studio, I'd say quadruple your accommodation budget.

Various SnowHeads have stayed at the Mt.Fort Swiss Lodge hostel in a one-person room and given good feedback. Standard rate is CHF 80-100 /night, but my guess is you could contact them and possibly get a discount for a one month stay.

But then you could do the same and get a discount on a studio, by contacting the Tourist Office or individual rental agencies. You might find that an owner would happily give a discount for a longer rental, especially in the quiet inter-school-holiday weeks. But to make this approach workable you'll probably need to narrow-down you choice of resort quickly, otherwise the search would be just too broad. I took a quick look for studios on the books of our rental agency and the Téléverbier (who run the lifts) apartment block and rates ranged from CHF 570-870 a week, but you might get a discount for a longer booking.

I'm discussing the Verbier ski area called the Quatre Vallées (400Kms+ in total) which is centred on Verbier, because we have an apartment there and so obviously know it well. There are many other large ski areas with cheaper satellites within them, some already mentioned.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Mon 27-12-21 21:11; edited 1 time in total
snow report
@LaForet, hmmm, depending dates, maybe double the budget ...
snow report
under a new name wrote:
@LaForet, hmmm, depending dates, maybe double the budget ...

After a bit of research, yes, you're probably right. But the OP will have to go for a satellite or smaller resort and non-school-holiday weeks probably. Without local knowledge, it's probably easier to just contact a Tourist Office and give them the requirements as a first pass, just to see what comes up with the minimum effort.
snow conditions
under a new name wrote:
Cluses is a bit of a hole, if one has to be rude!

I did write "seems a bit quiet"! Definitely doesn't have the feel of a city.

But ... it is connected in the sense of travel distance to multiple places. And I think has a direct TGV (certainly one came through that particular day we were at the station). Chamonix is a much more lively place, but has fewer accessible ski locations.
snow report
@j b, I'm not sure how happy I'd be walking around Cluses late at night!

Off the main street it gets pretty ropey pretty quickly!
snow report
@under a new name, well maybe you have tried that. As I said, an hour or so at lunch time and the main issue was the town seemed dead. Scary only in the ghost town sense.

But the question was where to stay for maximum ski access. As I wrote in another post, you would do pretty well in Le Fayet (also lacking excitement, no idea whether there are problems at night but seemed OK when we have driven through) where you have direct access to the train connecting the Chamonix valley resorts, the Tramway du Mont Blanc up to Les Houches, and buses to St Gervais, Les Contamines, Combloux and Megeve (all on the Mont Blanc Unlimited pass, though you would have to pay cash on the bus). But I don't know how that skiing compares with Salt Lake City.

Cluses just offers access within a reasonable time to a further range of resorts.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@yoyowoo, Luzern is a proper city, with less than an hour drive to some world class downhill and uphill skiing. So fits (3) and (4). Housing will not be cheap. On (4), CH lift tickets are cheap compared to US, and there are discounts (Andermatt 50% for example).
latest report
@yoyowoo - it would help if you could clarify your criteria and priorities. What "proper city things" do you want to do?

Do you speak French, German or Italian? That would help clarify which city would be most congenial to you.

Dates are important too - French resorts are expensive and crowded during the French "vacances scolaires" - four weeks starting in the second week of February.
snow report
@j b, I haven't tried that at all, based on advice. Le Fayet an interesting idea. Although Sallanches itself might be a little livelier.

Salt Lake City (being in the US) has no non-bus public transport e.g. rail. rolling eyes and I'm not sure (although I have vague recollections of comments else times) that buses to ski stations exist. I mean, it's 'Merka and all y'all have a car
snow report
@under a new name, you are right, Sallanches seems more like a town. But I suggested Le Fayet simply because you could get straight on the train connecting the Chamonix resorts, straight on the Tramway du MB, and catch the bus to the EMB access points (and also Praz sur Arly, though that isn't covered on the MBU pass).
snow conditions
@under a new name, I thought that SLC did have rail now, it had buses up the canyons even mid 90s.
snow report
Quote:
Basically I don't think you will find a "proper city" with lots of different accessible resorts on the same pass
Er, you will with the lovely city of Innsbruck and the Tirol Snow Card Very Happy Just the 90 ski areas to go at wink Ideal if you have a car - as the OP mooted.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy