Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing over New Year 2021/2 - busy?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
In a normal year I wouldn't dream of going skiing over New Year - nor would I have the time. However this year may be a little different (in more ways than one). If I did want to head off on, say, Mon 27 December for a week, what would it be like?

Country: Austria (I reckon the safest bet re. travel restrictions), Switzerland or Italy
Flights: reasonable prices at the moment
Snow: plenty of snow in the northern / western Alps but forecast suggests going high would be wise

That leaves:

Lift queues / crowds - horrifically busy, or perhaps better this year?
Accommodation - eye-watering prices, or better this year?
Public transport - will it be difficult to get tickets from airport to resort at relatively short notice, or is everything booked up at this time of year? (Car hire is probably too expensive.)

I've never been at this time of year so don't really know how busy it gets.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Having been a few places at NY, I'd say not half term busy but definitely in the top 4 weeks of the year. Most resorts have bottleneck lifts or times (or both), if you can work out where they are and avoid, you'll have a much better time. Explore the fringes of the resort at peak times, get first lift before ski schools, lunch early or late or not at all.

We're on a package to Zell am See from Glasgow on the 27th after France fell through. Definite advantages to a package with an operator with a reasonable Covid policy IMO. I'd still rate the chances of it happening as 50:50 at best.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Our village (Wengen) will be busy, but lots of guests here don’t ski, so the queues won't be too bad.
Accommodation will probably be a bit scarce.
Airport transfers by train no problem - it'll be quieter than usual.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Looks like there will be big announcements for England and Wales soon for 27 December.

Lockdown.

Guessing Scotland and N Ireland will be part of the news.

If that is the case I can't see anyone welcoming us in to play.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I am in VT right now and for a Christmas week it is nowhere as busy as it normally is. No queues to speak of. No more than 2 minutes even on normally busy lifts. End of day Cairn, when everyone is rushing back to VT is empty.

If we extrapolate this to NY, I would say it will be as busy as Christmas normally is. Or even less.

Now, I can't guarantee that of course, but I will report back as we are staying for the second week.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Mike Pow wrote:
Looks like there will be big announcements for England and Wales soon for 27 December.

Lockdown.

Guessing Scotland and N Ireland will be part of the news.

If that is the case I can't see anyone welcoming us in to play.

I hope lockdown this time mean just all the non-essential shops are closed and not that you aren't travel internationally...
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Oleski, I'm not surprised Val Thorens and the other "British" resorts in France are quieter than usual - that'll be the French travel ban having an effect!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@denfinella, I do hope that you get somewhere as I always enjoy reading your trip reports.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@euanovsky,

?
So you couldn't go shopping, but you can feel free to travel the world. Makes sense... or maybe not
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Soelden in Austria was very busy in the weekend before shutdown. I expect Xmas/NY to be busy as German resorts have not properly opened yet.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I've done Verbier a couple of years ago. Accommodation (AirBnB) was more expensive than usual but available for 4 nights and not only limited to 1 week. Medran gondola had a 10 min. waiting time in the mornings and so was the big Jumbo gondola and the small lifts in between.But it's a big area and the skiers dispersed rather well, especially towards Nendaz etc.
It's a good place to be if you are into ski routes AND late hour live music shows with pub parties till late, plus champagne rain at NYE in the main square (bring an umbrella, the sky coat remains sticky) Laughing
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks all. I think I've decided against this trip. Couldn't really make it work financially, particularly given the risk of disruption.

Next chance will be mid to late January (@Pamski, I'll definitely write a TR if I do get to go!).
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy