Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Winter Park/ Copper .....altitude problems ?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all, just in the middle of sorting out a couple of trips for next Jan and a twin centre WP/C is definately on the cards. My only concern is the possible problems with the altitude Puzzled . We skied Steamboat a couple of years ago and we were fine, but WP/C are a good bit higher. A friend had problems at Breckenridge which is higher still, so what can we expect; Headaches and nose bleeds for a couple of days rolling eyes or a case of 'the bends' and a large chunk of the holiday ruined Shocked
Any experiences of this, good or bad ?
Thanks , and cheer up summers nearly over wink !!!!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Only problem I had was getting a bit out of breath when on the first day in Copper other half realised he'd left something in the room and asked me to "just run back up and get it". I probably shouldn't have taken him literally!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We had headaches, thirst, nose bleeds, one of my chidren was really unwell but it took about 4 days to get used to it.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
How high is it out of interest?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Breckenridge you definitely notice a bit more exertion than normal at the top of the highest lifts but in town its not too bad in my experience. Sleeping is a problem as with any sudden exposure to altitude and can take a few days to get used to - I normally dose up on the local "night nurse" equivalent.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Went to WP this year for 2 weeks. Lots and lots of water seemed to cure any small headaches we had. The hot tub made me feel very sick, so did not do that again. Just take it easy for the first day.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Went to WP this year. Drink LOTS of water. I found I didn't have much of an appetite for the first 3 days or so, and didn't feel like drinking much alcohol either. But I think half the battle is won if you stay hydrated.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
i dont think its the altitude that causes most people problems its the jet lag!

its not that high,(admittedly i had to go look to see how high it is) it goes up to just over 3600 but the resort is higher than average at 2000 somehting.

i have asthma and the only problem i have when i'm unused to altitude is that i'm very short of breath and use my pump alot. Hiking is harder work and i have to stop more than normal.

obviously now i live in the mountians i dont have this problem at all any more

just go, i'd give my right arm to go to winter park, absolutly no chance now i live here! Very Happy
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I had real atitude problems in Breckenridge a few years ago, but was fine in WP this year - like snowangel., most problems were from the jet lag - waking at 4am and buzzing for the next few hours.
But, for anyone with epilepsy, the boffins have only just established altitude can be a trigger. Which explains why my poor old husband, who has had well-controlled epilepsy for over 30 years, has had brief episodes the last few years when we've been ski-ing. It rather put the kabosh on a few days at WP for him, and he's now coming to terms with having to ski at lower resorts from now on. But there's still Whistler.
I'd definitely recommend Winter Park.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
conor wrote:
I found I didn't have much of an appetite for the first 3 days or so, and didn't feel like drinking much alcohol either.

even though he didn't feel like drinking he managed to fight the battle and at least hoist a few with me.

all he needed to get his appetite back was for me to prepare a "home cooked" colorado meal. the lad is on his honeymoon, he's jet lagged, so i figure all he needs is a nice dose of protein. i fix him and his bride the most beautiful steak ever prepared in colorado and learn..........he's a vegetarian!

he was cured with a trip to nearby outdoor hotspring on an eve when the temps dropped a tad. yes conor it's minus 10F and you will not perish on the short walk to the water from the locker room.

breck's base is appreciably higher than either copper or Winter Park. The best wisdom i have heard of late is to add three days of complex carb loading to the mix prior to arrival at altitude.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I felt pretty wrecked on our trip to Lake Louise, but it's not particularly high (1700m). So I think Jetlag has alot do do with it. Has anyone felt altitude sickness at Val T?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Steamboat base: 6,900 feet
Winter Park base: 9,000 feet
Breckenridge base: 9,600 feet
Copper base: 9,712 feet

Taken from the resorts' own websites.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
whats that in meters then????

get witht the times mate feet were buried years ago!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Martin Bell wrote:
Steamboat base: 6,900 feet
Winter Park base: 9,000 feet
Breckenridge base: 9,600 feet
Copper base: 9,712 feet

Taken from the resorts' own websites.

martin,

thanks for the correction. i always thought breck had a higher base than copper.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
snowangel., probably worth cutting a bit of slack for our good colleages out West.

But:
6900' = 2103m
9000' = 2743m
9600' = 2926m
9712 = 2960m

excitableboy, I'd generally concur with fatbob. I'm generally good to sleep up to about 8000'/2400m for the first night, but have one disturbed night above that - if I go straight up to 10000'/3050m I get very little sleep the first night (irrespective of any jetlag), but sleep fairly well the second. I'd normally get a headache for the first full day after that disturbed night (not sure how much it's actually the altitude and how much it's lack of sleep). I felt like that for 36 hours max when I went to Breck, going straight up from sea-level (although it was a pretty crap journey), but it certainly didn't affect going out skiing the first day, or tucking into a good feed afterwards. I've never had an issue with nosebleeds even going up to 14500'/4400m. Different people do react to altitude in different ways though, and you really can't predict how you're going to react (e.g. I'm reliably informed that fitness has virtually nothing to do with it). Being fit does though help with breathlessness on exertion; I'm only reasonably fit but I don't normally notice any shortness of breath below about 11500'/3500m, although you probably will notice your heart pounding a bit even while not working hard.

I can't say I rated Breck much, but I had skier/boarder friends who really rated WP. Have a good trip!
snow report
It might be hard to distinguish between jet lag and altitude so expect lack of sleep for a few nights whilst you get over the combined effects. Keep alcohol to a minimum but drink water. I had these symptoms for about 3 nights and didn't perk up until later on in the first week. This is why I would go for a min of 10 days for resorts that lodge at 9000ft plus
snow conditions
So Breckenridge and Copper are higher than any resort in Europe (Val Thorens is at 2300m).
ski holidays
Yet they are below the tree-line, which lies at 3500m in Colorado. Some good background to that here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tree-line
snow conditions
I skied Copper Mountain for just under a week a few years back with a friend. We both suffered from altitide sickness for the first couple of days (headache, complete aversion to any alcohol - unusual given it was Jim and me). After a few days it settled down. It defintitely wasn't jet lag - we had spend 7 days in Florida before flying to Denver.
latest report
Ian Hopkinson wrote:
So Breckenridge and Copper are higher than any resort in Europe (Val Thorens is at 2300m).

i knew the alps were low, however, didn't realize how low. my cabin in grand county is above 2800 meters. we are supposed to get snow tonight!

tomorrow is memorial day in the USA. let's all remember the brave men and women from the UK and USA who sacrificed so much so that we can enjoy our lives today.

god bless every vet.
ski holidays
Rusty Guy, We stayed at 2400 in Val T for the ESOB this year, but their heighest skiing is around 3200, which is the start of our glacier. Altitude advice applies all round as although in most european resorts very few people have problems with resort level, many people forget about the possible effects of going higher, and rush up to the highest point first thing on the first day, which can cause problems in higher resorts (like Zermatt and LDA). In summer I insist that people have a short rest to acclimatise when reaching the glacier before starting skiing. I find this helps a lot. OTOH keeping hydrated is probably the best advice for anyone at altitude! Very Happy
latest report
easiski,

Yes, I don't think jumping straight in is too good an idea...and not something that should be down too often.... The lodging altitude of the Denver Rockies would put me off and although I didn't suffer at all at VT it may be a factor there as well for me
snow report
Many thanks for all the advice/info much appreciated snowHead I've just booked the trip departing on the 27/01/07 for 2 weeks. However due to Copper's Gold Condo's being fully booked already Shocked through to Sunday 4/02/07 we are staying 8 nights in Winter Park and then 6 in Copper. This gives us more time to get used to the altitude at the lower of the 2 resorts, without missing out on the 'snowtime'
Cheer's all Cool
latest report
Oh, excitableboy, one other piece of advice: at high altitude, don't get too excited wink
latest report
excitableboy, I shouldn't worry too much about altitude. We went straight to Breckenridge from UK last year and it was OK; it would have better to have a bit more air available, and some acclimatisation would have been good, but it didn't cause any major probs. Both your resorts are lower (I think), so with a bit of luck you should be fine (although altitude has very different effects on different people, I believe).
ski holidays
Quote:

Oh, excitableboy, one other piece of advice: at high altitude, don't get too excited

Who me ? rolling eyes The trouble is with it being June, just the mere thought of strapping on a pair of planks get's me ...er..... 'going' ! Shocked
snow conditions
you are coming at the perfect time. there will be plenty of snow. please, please don't fret the altitude. you'll be fine. i'm convinced the best thing one can do is carbo load for three days prior to arrival. i've "prescribed this for several folks in the past and they swear by it.

whether or not you are taking lessons stop by the adult ski school meeting place in the morning or afternoon and introduce yourself and your group.

i have a tradition of buying the first round for any visitors that i meet from the UK. yes it's merely a scam. i buy the first round and then drink on the guests for the remainder of the sfternoon.
ski holidays
excitableboy wrote:
Many thanks for all the advice/info much appreciated snowHead I've just booked the trip departing on the 27/01/07 for 2 weeks. However due to Copper's Gold Condo's being fully booked already Shocked through to Sunday 4/02/07 we are staying 8 nights in Winter Park and then 6 in Copper. This gives us more time to get used to the altitude at the lower of the 2 resorts, without missing out on the 'snowtime'
Cheer's all Cool

Congrats! You have made a great choice!

Altitude sickness is a problem in the Rockies, and it is agreivated from alcohol, being tired or from overdoing it the first days. Altitude sickness is caused by lack of oxygen to the brain. Oxygen levels are lower in the air that means that people with low hematocrite values need to watch out; ie poor condition or a women on a period. Get iron, and red meat (Or best EPO) - that will help

If you stay in WP the first day or two, and don't hit the double blacks at Mary Jane the first couple of days, don't worry.

Nose bleads can occour due to the dry air (and great snow). If need be put cream/lotion inside your nose and the problem will not persist
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Many thanks for all the info and advice , much appreciated. This reply is also a 'shameless' bump back up the list in case anyone wants to add anymore gems! Embarassed snowHead
ski holidays
We visited Winter Park for the first time in Feb this year - my first ski trip ever! Winter Park was great, but I did suffer pretty badly with altitude sickness (probably tied in with a bit of jet lag too) for the first 24 hours in resort. Symptoms I suffered from were shortnes of breath, tiredness, vomiting and slight headaches. Ski rep recommended loads of water and a couple of asprin. The idea of the asprin was to help thin the blood. Still managed the afternoon on the slopes though. Found that I was fine for the rest of the fortnight, just made sure that i took a couple of asprin each morning and drank plenty of water throughout the day.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy