Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Another UK Lockdown Imminent?

Poster: A snowHead
@Rob_Quads, Exactly -we're a family of 5 and 2 of the kids have girl/boy friends at moment. So a meal out is out the question - just eat at home instead.

Once again it's the politicians feeling they have to do something and this is something!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@chocksaway,
I can't imagine being in a pub up here & someone answering to the question 'Had your booster yet?' with 'Ive never be jabbed'
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Rob_Quads wrote:
Mr.Egg wrote:
Maximum of group of 6, table service, etc.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-59752752

I wonder how much difference that will make. Surely if you have families of 10 for example all you will end up doing is going round someones house instead so you will get the same mixing just the food industry will be loosing out again.

This 100%
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@GreenDay, I'd say that @hawkesbaynz sounds like they're in the right job!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
hawkesbaynz wrote:
I do not see why fully vaccinated careful sensible people should be Locked Down due to stupidity & ignorance of the unvaccinated. Lock Them alone Down. That will get a lot of folk over the line who 'just have not got around to it'.

I work in general practice and can honestly say that I am the only professional who discusses the issue with the unjabbed when I speak to them about other matters. I have managed to book quite a few into getting vaccinated. A lot of people in my area are plain thick and not got around to it as live such disordered lives, particularly young men. I work in a very working class area. Young white working class mother are another recalcitrant bunch.

Add the chinese to you list of cultures not getting vaccinated.

A lot of it is also the cant be bothered attitude.
Mass vaccine centres for example can be a PITA to get to if you can't drive.
While there are free buses to take them, lots of people are still vary nervous about it all.

The vaccine needs to be taken to the community & allow walk up vaccination.
Maybe throw in a weatherspoons voucher
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@hawkesbaynz, Unfortunately there is assumption by our University Educated Cabinet that generally people have a basic intelligence. I am staggered at the poor communication of the COVID situation why there has been no Public Information providing as consistent message, on television in different languages and using TV personalities to deliver the message of what is need to stop COVID. It can be done for Elections by the different political parties. There are lot of Asia Heritage people who do not watch UK TV.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

The vaccine needs to be taken to the community & allow walk up vaccination.

It is - house bound and care homes have been jabbed at home, there are numerous pop up vaccination centres which have been used in low uptake areas and there are walk in centres.

Honestly don't think there is much else which could be done to encourage uptake.

I'm also of the view that the unvaccinated should have tougher restrictions than the rest of us
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I seem to recall that when Austria said, "Get jabbed or stay home.", there were lines around the block- huge uptick. Stop the LF dodge for hospitality, make it for pubs too, and those who can't go a single day without going to the pub will have a Damascene conversion to vaxxing.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
GreenDay wrote:
@hawkesbaynz, Maybe you need to get another job.................

Sounds like he's doing a decent job to me Very Happy
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
David B wrote:
There are lot of Asia Heritage people who do not watch UK TV.

Twenty years ago a government could reasonably assume most people were exposed to TV news or the papers. These days it is a minority - and not just those from different language backgrounds who don't watch TV - and it is unclear how to get public health information to all sectors of the population, certainly in a timely manner.

@hawkesbaynz, I am sure you are right, there are many people who are not "anti" vaccination but just don't feel there is any personal importance to it. Obviously you are in a special situation of being able to encourage those who happen to be seeking other healthcare, but it is difficult to know how to access those individuals systematically. My wife has done some volunteering in a vaccination centre in a pretty deprived area, and was gratified to see that there was a steady trickle of people turning up on spec hoping for a first jab (they were given one) alongside those who had booked their booster. And I have noticed the headline figure for percentage of people vaccinated has been creeping up recently after having been static for a while. The message is very slowly spreading.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@j b, I have to say we have people in the UK who where not born here but have lived most of their adult lives in closed communities that do not have any command of English what so ever. It is just a very sad situation that these people have been left behind in this pandemic.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
David B wrote:
@j b, I have to say we have people in the UK who where not born here but have lived most of their adult lives in closed communities that do not have any command of English what so ever. It is just a very sad situation that these people have been left behind in this pandemic.

I suspect Northerners would find that rather patronizing. Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
David B wrote:

Addressing that is a whole other problem - but in terms of Covid, this was recognised early on and there was lots of multi-lingual signs, messages, interaction with faith groups etc to get the key messages over. As with anything maybe more could have been done but an effort was made to engage
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@AL9000, No it is ok we are fine with it, just taking the whippet for walk Very Happy
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Mr.Egg, I believe Americans are paid $100 to get a vaccine in certain states.
snow conditions
@AL9000, ? I suspect you can’t pronounce bath correctly and insert an ‘r’ where there is none?
ski holidays
My sister now just retired who was a matron amongst many other nursing duties is of the opinion that not one unvaccinated covid patient should be treated ahead of any cancer treatments. I’m with her.
snow conditions
Rob_Quads wrote:
Mr.Egg wrote:

I wonder how much difference that will make. Surely if you have families of 10 for example all you will end up doing is going round someones house instead so you will get the same mixing just the food industry will be loosing out again.

Rightly or wrongly, it's extended indoor time that promotes transmission. Food industry in the winter time is exactly that. Supporting the food industry unfortunately also encourages transmission.
ski holidays
@David B, I have to say if I were to take the decision to move to another country I would learn the language as a priority. All Asians in Bolton for example cannot have been unaware of Covid and what you need to do. The message was plastered everywhere. The chief medical officer there is Asian. People of all races and backgrounds have the ability to be stupid, thoughtless and have a lack of respect for others.
ski holidays
I also suggest that a date should now be given to commence vaccination after which you have to pay for it. You do not bribe anyone with my money. That is just sick.
latest report
David B wrote:
@Mr.Egg, I believe Americans are paid $100 to get a vaccine in certain states.

can it be backdated to all the responsible people who has taken up all the jabs as soon as it has been available to them, instead of bribing the feckless!!!!!!
snow report
@twoodwar, To be candid I do not disagree with your comment, but I went to the Geoffrey Boycott International School of Diplomacy (GBSD) and therefore can easily can express opinions that upset people. So I tread vey carefully these days, not part of my GBSD training I should add Very Happy
ski holidays
@David B, To be pedantic shouldn't that be GBISD?

And yes, I probably was in the same class as you!
snow report
@David B, can’t upset any sensible person. Don’t they do degrees in being upset these days? No one unvaccinated gives a second thought to cancer patients or those in care. Let them be upset. Sir Geoff was too careful in his choice of words
snow report
chocksaway wrote:
@David B, To be pedantic shouldn't that be GBISD?

And yes, I probably was in the same class as you!

is it only international when the school is situated outside the Yorkshire borders Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
ski holidays
@twoodwar, Nowadays I am constantly seem to be chuntering about the total lack of respect people have for others regarding things like litter, parking on pavements, bike riders with no lights, children with mucky shoes in shopping trolleys, etc etc. I cannot repeat what I think of the un-vaccinated.

Probably need to do my Masters in Victor Meldrew Studies. Very Happy
snow conditions
abc wrote:
Rob_Quads wrote:
Mr.Egg wrote:

Rightly or wrongly, it's extended indoor time that promotes transmission. Food industry in the winter time is exactly that. Supporting the food industry unfortunately also encourages transmission.

But it will make no difference as you'll just have a group of 10 in someone's house instead - probably closer together and for a longer period of time than at a pub or restaurant.
ski holidays
Boris wrote:
abc wrote:
Rob_Quads wrote:
Mr.Egg wrote:

But it will make no difference as you'll just have a group of 10 in someone's house instead - probably closer together and for a longer period of time than at a pub or restaurant.

but in a pub, you could come into contact with lots more people.
We have further guidance in Wales called flow & go. I would trust my friends to take an LFT before meeting up, than going to a pub filled with random people. Our local ale house is busy on Fridays for afterwork pint, etc.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@terrygasson, No its 5 miles outside Fitzwilliam Geoff's birth town so for Fitzwilliam folk that's classed as international. Very Happy
latest report
Quote:

but in a pub, you could come into contact with lots more people.

@Mr.Egg, Which the group of 6 still will!

We'll never know (or agree) but I don't think the restrictions will make the slightest bit of difference. Some people will modify their behaviour, take LFTs etc, others will carry on as before.

I will also bet at least £1 Laughing that there will be reports of mass illegal raves over the next few weeks with nightclubs closed. Adding pressure to the emergency services which the closures are meant to prevent
ski holidays
abc wrote:
Rob_Quads wrote:
Mr.Egg wrote:

That may well be the case in the US but in the UK the Government has repeatedly blamed the hospitality trade for transmission without ever being able to show the data to back up their claim.
snow report
@Boris, illegal raves are automatically converted to legal raves if the presence of cheese and wine is established
latest report
@jirac18, Are you suggesting the drug dealers will be dumping their Ecstasy tablets and turning up with Mini Baby Bels Toofy Grin Laughing
snow report
@Boris, coke, ket and camembert
latest report
Mike Pow wrote:
abc wrote:
Rob_Quads wrote:
Mr.Egg wrote:

That may well be the case in the US but in the UK the Government has repeatedly blamed the hospitality trade for transmission without ever being able to show the data to back up their claim.

It's not so much the US. (we don't do much track and trace so very little data from the US to "back up" the claim). It's evident from other countries that do successful track and trace.

Also the outbreak pattern in the US agree with those findings: when weather puts people indoors (winter in the north, summer in the south), infection number goes up. Same when public indoor gathering restriction is removed.
latest report
abc wrote:
Mike Pow wrote:
abc wrote:
Rob_Quads wrote:
Mr.Egg wrote:

It's not so much the US. (we don't do much track and trace so very little data from the US to "back up" the claim). It's evident from other countries that do successful track and trace.

Also the outbreak pattern in the US agree with those findings: when weather puts people indoors (winter in the north, summer in the south), infection number goes up. Same when public indoor gathering restriction is removed.

That's not backed up by data in the UK.

Unchecked gatherings in private homes, yes.

School's in, yes.

Heavily regulated hospitality venues, nope.
latest report
London and the south east needs to level up on the vaccination front Laughing
Certainly a big north south divide going on at the moment.
ski holidays
Peter S wrote:
London and the south east needs to level up on the vaccination front Laughing
Certainly a big north south divide going on at the moment.

It's an interesting one-it looks like most of the South East is in line with national averages, as is much of London. But a number of boroughs are well below the average.

By way of demonstration, Richmond is on 40 per cent booster coverage, Tower Hamlets is 15!
snow report
@Mike Pow, I see what you mean - but from the top level we have lots of evidence that complete lockdown is extremely effective. What we have less information about is the relative contribution of all the opportunities for infection that that prevented. I believe there is some data - though the article I read was over a year ago and I wouldn't know how to find it again now - where people have tried to tease out the contributions of the different things (essentially they compared the effect on transmission of different levels of lockdown, e.g. the tier system that was used in England plus varying rules in other countries, and were able to assign weights to them).

Things will be different now - at that point schools weren't strong drivers of infection but that changed markedly once a significant proportion of adults were vaccinated - but I do recall hospitality being one of the bigger factors.
snow conditions
Lots on here pointing out that areas with high levels of ethnic diversity are amongst the lowest uptake of the vaccine.

I don’t think the reason is the lack of communication, I think it’s a mistrust of the ‘official’ message, and the source thereof.

Just as one example amongst many, I have worked with lads from the Pashtun community in Sheffield who are refusing to get the vaccine as they have a deep, deep mistrust of the British government, and given how they’ve been let down of late - I’d say that mistrust is justified.

My point being that a low vaccine uptake amongst ethnic minorities (who are far more likely to live in low income, high occupancy accommodation) isn’t as simple as ‘they aren’t getting the message’ or ‘they aren’t willing to integrate’.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy