Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Anglais limités aux frontières : Une catastrophe pour les stations

Poster: A snowHead
Good read over lunch today....

https://c.ledauphine.com/societe/2021/12/16/les-anglais-limites-aux-frontieres-une-catastrophe-pour-les-stations
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Weathercam, it is pretty disastrous. I hear many of the FNC have not made it over.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Hells Bells, FNC?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@holidayloverxx, the Friday Night Club.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@holidayloverxx, it's a gang of Geezonaires that often get together on a Friday, hence FNC is Friday Night Club.

Will be interesting to see if the British Army / Army Medical Corps make it out here in January, have friends who accommodate many of them, just another spanner in the works, and here in Serre Che we don't have too many from the UK nowadays as the Tour Ops ceased having chalet hotels and the like
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Weathercam, my own bookings are now mainly French and Italian. I have one UK couple in mid-January which I'm expecting to cancel, someone else took the booking, so she's in charge of sorting the cancellation.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Interesting would not have expected the Brits to make up close to 42% of the foreign visitors (would have expected more Germans or Russians) though 42% of 32% is only about 13% not great but not une catastrophe...

Gutted still - due to go out to Tignes mid/late Jan now in limbo. Going out to the US in two weeks' time. Fingers crossed border remains open!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We keep thinking of people who have not made it out, a real wrench for them.

I'm taking the Mrs to Turin tomorrow as she flys back to the UK then she hopes to get back out the 29th but I suspect flights etc will change.

I'm staying put looking after dogs Very Happy
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@euanovsky, But a 13% drop in income will affect the lift companies, the parking and hospitality greatly. Their major fixed costs are identical, but a huge chunk of oncome gone. On discretionary spending, the Brits are way ahead of the French
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
euanovsky wrote:
Interesting would not have expected the Brits to make up close to 42% of the foreign visitors (would have expected more Germans or Russians) though 42% of 32% is only about 13% not great but not une catastrophe...

Gutted still - due to go out to Tignes mid/late Jan now in limbo. Going out to the US in two weeks' time. Fingers crossed border remains open!

Would have expected Germans to go more to Switzerland and Austria were they can speak German.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:
Jean-Marc Silva, of the France Montagne association, said Britons made up the single biggest foreign group of visitors to French mountain resorts, and accounted for 9% of clients - and an even bigger share of business as they enjoyed the apres-ski hospitality.

“Brits love the mountains and don’t really have that many in their country, so they’ve made the French mountains their own,” Silva said.

“It’s not the same clientele as the French,” Silva said. “The French visitor is here to ski. The British visitor will ski but he will also be the first at the after-ski activities ... They have this pub culture. They spend more than others. They really make the most of being there.”

Almost makes you proud to be British
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@chocksaway, fair point - every bit counts in the pandemic!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

“It’s an economic disaster,” said resort director Christophe Lavaut, pointing out that in Val d’Isere, the bulk of the clients come from Britain. “No business in any sector can make it, losing 42% of its clients in two days.”

While he does not contest the need to take measures to fight the spread of the highly transmissible variant - and infections are soaring in Britain - he said his resort would need help from the government.

And this, taken from the same article appears to imply that a whopping 42% of visitors to Val d'Isere are British. That 9% is not evenly spread throughout the alps, Les 7 Laux, La Norma, and other smaller places that I've never heard of probably won't really notice the lack of Brits but the big destination resorts really will

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/uk-tourist-travel-ban-disaster-french-ski-resorts-2021-12-17/
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
that 13% is national average figure, if the same 42% of foreigners effects (say) Val Thorens or Val D'Isere - that's around 26% of their visitors not coming. thats quite a hit.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
This will cause irreversible damage to the French ski industry IMHO … imposing travel restrictions in-line with other EU states is one thing. But this is different. Many families are frantically trying to switch their festive trips to Austria, Italy and Switzerland. Let’s assume these amended holidays go relatively smoothly, these people won’t go back to France in a rush.
snow report
@franga, Unless you bought a house there at the end of 2019.... rolling eyes . We will be back and expect the warmest of welcomes. Really feel for all of the local businesses-to quote a friend (english) married to a Frenchman with a small bar in St M "A triple Whammy: we'll miss our English friends; it'll be our third terrible winter season and we get no government support while we're open".
snow report
I wouldn't expect the proportions of each country shown at the bottom right to be constant across stations, the Dutch in particular seem to pick a few that they all go to.
snow report
Perty wrote:
@franga, Unless you bought a house there at the end of 2019.... rolling eyes . We will be back and expect the warmest of welcomes. Really feel for all of the local businesses-to quote a friend (english) married to a Frenchman with a small bar in St M "A triple Whammy: we'll miss our English friends; it'll be our third terrible winter season and we get no government support while we're open".

Absolutely agree - and I’m very envious of you ( I enjoy reading your posts on the 3Vs thread). We love visiting France (in all seasons) and I honestly hope that this is just a short-term measure to allow more boosters to be administered. But a large number of less “loyal” skiers / boarders / families would be seriously put off by this shitshow.
ski holidays
euanovsky wrote:

More like 40% of total visitors in the likes of Tignes & Val D'Isere, but more importantly for those resorts 50% of the spend.
French visitors are around the same percentage of total visitors but are renowned for being tight on the spending front.
snow conditions
We are in Flaine this week and next, not many Brits this week and I suspect we will be a rarity next week when we will be on a Freshtracks off piste week. All credit to SCGB for running the holiday chalet and guiding for just the two of us. Everyone seems to be hoping for the restrictions to be lifted before too long.
ski holidays
Hopefully the French ski industry are lobbying the French government like crazy. It might not work but can only help..
ski holidays
'Monumental cold shower' don't you love the differences between languages Very Happy
snow conditions
euanovsky wrote:

Most German skiers probably go to Austria because of the language and proximity. There is a very small minority of super-rich Russians who frequent the exclusive resorts but I doubt that most ordinary Russians could afford an alpine skiing holiday.
ski holidays
The only German skiers I've seen in France were in Les Contamines and being loud and objectionable in one of Les C's rare lift queues. It was a short queue, and they were pushing and shoving and yelling to mates further ahead.
snow conditions
A very quick peruse of Alpinforum (German language ski forum) gives an indication of how popular France is (or is not) as a ski destination in the German speaking world.
ski holidays
Do you think that might help the French to start liking the brits again and being a bit friendlier? Very Happy
snow conditions
I wonder if it is significant that the Union Flag, shown in the article, is upside down. A sign of distress!
snow conditions
It is hard not think that this is merely Macron thumbing his nose at Boris le Pitre (personal animosity) rather than any genuine public health concern.

Anyone know for sure if transit through France is allowed after midnight?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@On the rocks, enjoy Flaine - are you with Yan/Dianne? the whole SCGB Flaine offering is good fun - esp the chalet hosts...
latest report
pam w wrote:
The only German skiers I've seen in France were in Les Contamines and being loud and objectionable in one of Les C's rare lift queues. It was a short queue, and they were pushing and shoving and yelling to mates further ahead.

Seen some like that a few times, only they were using an odd english dialect. More than one of them seemed to be called Henry. Laughing
latest report
@ajc2260626, I don’t think the problem is the French not liking the British…

Perhaps you would do well to change your prime minister?
ski holidays
@under a new name, lol if only that would change them…… have met a lot of grumpy French people this week

However I would love to see the back of bojo Very Happy
ski holidays
under a new name wrote:

Why? What’s he done to you? Suggest you look closer to home Toofy Grin
ski holidays
With a bit of look they will both be for the chop Very Happy
latest report
under a new name wrote:

… as far as I know the British government were happy for me and my family to spend Christmas and NY in Val d’Isere
snow report
@Weathercam, We have a week in Villeneuve booked with Crystal for Jan 15th! Expecting it to be cancelled but won’t know for sure until beginning of Jan. We had hoped to be on a DIY this year and had a look at your apartment @Hells Bells, - but you were booked! Decided to go on a package for a bit of security & less hassle if things didn’t work out - which is just as well I think! We’ve also got another week in March, carried over from this year, in Chantmerle & have everything crossed that’ll go ahead - and that we may be able to add on our Villeneuve week as well so that we’re out there for 2 weeks Very Happy
snow report
Vive la Révolution! Twisted Evil
snow conditions
How much more will it take for many British owners to consider selling up? I can't help but think there are some politics at play here..
ski holidays
@alasdair.graham, “some politics”?!?!

It’s all politics, France has got v similar official numbers to uk and that’s not even taking into acct the fact that they do a fraction of the testing the uk do, it’s complete cobblers, I’m afraid bojo and the dwaff are as bad as each other....... Laughing
latest report
The scary tone from Bojo and that Scots woman couldn’t have helped , in their project , fear or not , speeches ? ‘they both mentioned either a tsunami or tidal wave of infections . I think I might have closed the borders also . You can’t trust any of them they all have agenda’s
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy