Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How last minute dare you go?

Poster: A snowHead
Just wondering what are peoples opinion on booking very last minute? With reference to Austria / Italy / Andorra? Now France is off (presuming it stays that way)
How late can you leave it to book - taking into account time to organise all those test thingees!!
How late would tour operators allow you to book - which seems to be the safest option right now?
I'm thinking around 7 days out would be doable??
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Depends on who you go with. In my experience 2 people flying from the South East will get the majority of good deals going if they’re flexible on where they go and catering type.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'd happily book with a TO with 1-2 days notice but would make sure I'd researched my destination country well. Crystal currently have some amazing deals leaving this weekend, just looked at Italy and they're from £299 HB, Sauze d'oulx over xmas week.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I think last minute (ie less than 48 hours) is probably the most reliable way of actually guaranteeing some sort of holiday this season.

Who knows what's going to happen to rules in every country in 2 or 3 weeks time, or even later in the season.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I think you'd be mad to book more than 48 hours ahead at the moment
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Dippy,
I nearly booked last Saturday to travel on the Monday.
I also considered the Sunday. Was put off in the end by the tests & uncertainty of what would happen if I tested positive out there.
As my insurance company CS was closed the weekend, I could not check, so did not risk it
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
mikeycharlton wrote:
I think last minute (ie less than 48 hours) is probably the most reliable way of actually guaranteeing some sort of holiday this season.

Who knows what's going to happen to rules in every country in 2 or 3 weeks time, or even later in the season.

My only concern is the rules changing while you're out there, but to be fair there is usually a few days notice.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
There's an EU travel meeting today, might make things clearer regarding restrictions generally and they may stick for a bit longer and also if eg Austria are likely to impose new criteria
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
t44tomo wrote:
I think you'd be mad to book more than 48 hours ahead at the moment

While I agree, I also would be reluctant to book right now without at least having an antigen test that can be certificated in my hand/already completed...

(even if I currently have several weeks of bashes booked...)
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Booked a (DIY) trip on 4th Dec, flew on 5th. At least for vaccinated for adults it's really not that difficult!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
So it loooks like a wait and see game - 2 fully vaxed adults - flexible as to where and when (I'm talking January not holiday time) living in SE so any London airport ok (although would prefer to drive but very unlikely thats going to happen now). Only book with a major Tour Operator (least hassle and best cover it seems).
Well it will certainly be a job to keep up with all the rule changes - lets see what the New Year brings!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Booked Thursday following france cancelling. Travelling Sunday. Wish us luck
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Checked out 9 seats for Bristol to Innsbruck on Monday for a week with tui a few hours ago - 120 return!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yeah think that’s the best option. Wait and see!!!
Over 50 boostered, ready to go 15th Jan but could be flexible. Live within reach of all London airports or happy to train/drive
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Also could do Harwich/Holland to avoid France. But thinking flying doesn’t involve more than one border!!
snow report
@Lucywuk, Similar scenario! I'm keeping an eye on package holidays to see how the prices go.
Very tempted by some 4/5* Hotels in Austria at the moment, but it would be great if France opens up to Brits after the holiday season so we can just jump in car and go!
ski holidays
Dippy wrote:
@Lucywuk, Similar scenario! I'm keeping an eye on package holidays to see how the prices go.
Very tempted by some 4/5* Hotels in Austria at the moment, but it would be great if France opens up to Brits after the holiday season so we can just jump in car and go!

Me too. But if I book now and then we get covid …. Are we covered??? That’s my last issue. I think I could almost isolate for around a week before going. So a last minute one seems possible
ski holidays
I'm unlucky enough to have to stick to a pre-planned week and fingers crossed. My dream is to be able to just up sticks and go away whenever and wherever the snow is good, but between the wife, kids, and work, I don't think I'll be in that situation for around 30 years, ie retired!!
latest report
7 hours prior to flight take off is the most last minute I've booked, and I was in Devon and flight from Manchester. That was all before children though. Now most often drive but have been known to book and/or change accommodation enroute.

I do have a eurotunnel booked for first week of school Easter holidays. Which resort and country we go to will depend on situation and restrictions / testing requirements at the time.
snow report
Hinterglam all-in including ski pass's for week, booked Friday afternoon, Manchester - Salzburg Saturday morning 2 adults £800 total. Dreadful skiing weather only got two full days in but still enjoyed the break.
ski holidays
Pre book cheap flights.
Either
Book hotel on the way to the Airport
or
Arrive in Resort and check our avaible hotels with best smell eminating from there restaurant Laughing rolling eyes Toofy Grin Very Happy
snow report
omas brumm wrote:
Pre book cheap flights.
Either
Book hotel on the way to the Airport
or
Arrive in Resort and check our avaible hotels with best smell eminating from there restaurant Laughing rolling eyes Toofy Grin Very Happy

I've been known to book hotels while at the airport waiting for my flights. (or at the arrival airport while waiting for my skis to show up)

But you want to "pretend" to book at your destination to get a sense how much availability is there. Or that last minute booking of lodging can get quite expensive.

All in all, last minute booking works for those who are not just having a flexible schedule, but also having a flexible mental state. You have to accept the possibility that you may end up paying more, going to a resort of not your favorite, or don't get to go at all.
snow report
Thinking this is the only option now.
I’m lucky my apartment have offered later on the season or next year - keeping their deposit- so I think I’ll go for next year. Eurostar strongly have cancelled my incoming train, so I’m hoping that allows me to cancel the entire booking and get a refund.

Then we will go with a wait and see attitude as maybe by March it will be better and we can go.
snow conditions
I have moved flight dates several times and hire cars, given up on accommodation - there will be somewhere available when I know for sure trip is viable - one huge bonus is I will be able to follow the snow Madeye-Smiley
latest report
@Lucywuk, I have an annual worldwide travel insurance (Staysure) - which I am sure covers us if we contract covid before departure.
The cost of an annual policy including winter sports cover was not a huge amount more than if I had just paid for our last holiday (Dubai) as a single trip and I got 15 months cover which is enough to cover part way through next winter also. Just hope I never need to use it!
I was very tempted to book for Austria (as a package) for early Jan - but have decided to hang on - if we get through new year and no more restrictions my thoughts are there will be something - somewhere!
snow conditions
@dippy I should look at mine as I have annual insurance via my bank account
snow report
It can definitely work if you are prepared to be flexible. Best I ever had was Flights, H/B, transfers, lift pass, ski hire, tuition for 3 people in Arinsal, Andorra. Booked 2 days before departure.

I was prepared to go this weekend and was looking at a few last minute deals to Andorra/ Italy/Bulgaria, but hesitated and missed them. Will have another crack at something next week!

As @Nadenoodlee, says, if only 2 travelling from SE England it's a no brainer. Thousands to be saved!
snow conditions
Pastorius wrote:
I'm unlucky enough to have to stick to a pre-planned week and fingers crossed. My dream is to be able to just up sticks and go away whenever and wherever the snow is good, but between the wife, kids, and work, I don't think I'll be in that situation for around 30 years, ie retired!!

ha dont fill your hopes up that in 30 years and possibly retired all healthy and in good spirits you will be able to do anything when you like . The demands from your offspring the mrs (same,different or just a passing friend )will conspire along with the grandkids !!which is truly a pleasure that i never even thought about 30 years ago will along with the demands of work ( retirement may not be a luxury thats as readily available)nor mind global warming { no snow)or a virus the chances of you doing as you like are wether holiday date resricted or not are zilch, as someone above retirement age still working in thankfully good enough health to consider going skiing for the 55th year on the trot apart from last year can testify a virus is only a small difficulty but im still hopeful of going this season at some point , cheers
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Re good deals; as stated on another thread, as I booked so late I didn’t manage to get discounted pass or rental, but as I didn’t go skiing for two years prior, man maths says I’m quids in Smile
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy