Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Adjusting DIN settings due to advancing age?

Poster: A snowHead
Just got a new pair of boards (Mantras) and binders (Griffons) and went through the customary ritual of increasing the DIN settings from where the shop set them to my usual setting. I haven't changed my setting in decades because I have yet to see why I should.....but I do wonder about it as I'm now 65. I am a lousy ex-racer skiing with good ex-racers, so speed is still definitely on the menu when conditions permit. I don't love how I'm putting this, but: I guess I feel like it is better to stay in and hurt my knee than to come out and hurt my head.

Curious what others who are similarly situated are doing/thinking.....thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
IMV. It may depend on:

- Is your weight the same?
- Is your skill level the same?
- Is your general speed level and terrain the same?
- Is your fitness level//strength/bone density the same?

There are others more qualified than myself to give a better answer - but my thought would be that you will have lost a bit of strength, skill, fitness and flexibility - and thus should maybe dial back a little (depending on where it is set).
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

I guess I feel like it is better to stay in and hurt my knee than to come out and hurt my head

do you mean better to stay in and hurt your knee than to come out and hurt your feelings?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The DIN charts show a reduction in DIN from age 50 because everyone above 50 is riddled with Osteoporosis....
Remember also that the DIN setting is primarily to reduce the likelihood of breaking a leg, rather than of screwing up the ligaments in your knee.
So you might want to reflect on how your bone health is...
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Well, I had @spyderjon adjust my bindings for new boots a couple of years ago. I was a little upset when he informed me that my age meant a reduction in the binding setting. Sad

@Scooter in Seattle, You're a few years older than me, so maybe it would be wise to check the charts and set them appropriately.
The older we get, the longer it takes to heal.

Better a damaged ego than a broken leg.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Personally,

- Is your weight the same? Yes
- Is your skill level the same? Yes
- Is your general speed level and terrain the same? Yes
- Is your fitness level//strength/bone density the same? Better/better/who knows (probably not worse, given priors)?

So I'm not adjusting mine, thanks.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@under a new name, Are you comparing over a couple of years, or a few decades?

My answers would be:
Yes (same weight as at 25)
probably not
Yes
Not a chance in hell.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
under a new name wrote:

- Is your fitness level//strength/bone density the same? Better/better/who knows (probably not worse, given priors)?

So I'm not adjusting mine, thanks.

Unless you can defy the aging process and indulged in serious Load Bearing exercises, Cardio training and Physical Therapy (to get rid of scar tissue in muscles) - I suspect your VO2 Max/flexibility/suppleness/bone density/max heart rate and aerobic fitness, has declined over the last 30 years.....but maybe it hasn't! Toofy Grin

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Wed 15-12-21 18:31; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@brianatab, since 50. But way better, fitter, skilful and faster than since 30 ...

@Old Fartbag, hmmm, I totally get your point, but (esp re max heart rate) I notice no decline in flexibility, suppleness, effective aerobic fitness ...
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
under a new name wrote:

@Old Fartbag, hmmm, I totally get your point, but (esp re max heart rate) I notice no decline in flexibility, suppleness, effective aerobic fitness ...

Unless this was all measured 30 years ago and now - it would be nearly impossible for you to really know, especially if you remain fit and active.

We start losing muscle mass and strength from mid 30s. Very specific weight training can certainly reduce the decline. We also have a reducing V02 Max.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@under a new name, that's how I arrive at no change as well. The bone density comments are legit, and I'm going to choose to assume that since I keep the dairy industry going almost single-handedly that my bones will be sufficient for a few more years. My main concern is a release at high speed where it wasn't needed.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Scooter in Seattle wrote:
@under a new name, that's how I arrive at no change as well. The bone density comments are legit, and I'm going to choose to assume that since I keep the dairy industry going almost single-handedly that my bones will be sufficient for a few more years. My main concern is a release at high speed where it wasn't needed.

You suffer from the same delusion as the rest of us - in our heads, we are still 30. Toofy Grin

Your body cannot sustain the same abuse as it did 35-40 years ago.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

Your body cannot sustain the same abuse as it did 35-40 years ago

@Old Fartbag, not suggesting it can, but I ski better and faster and run longer and faster than I did then. Drinking beer on the other hand Embarassed Oh and my specific VO2 max is way better than it was then. (Measured ... wink )
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
under a new name wrote:
Quote:

Your body cannot sustain the same abuse as it did 35-40 years ago

@Old Fartbag, not suggesting it can, but I ski better and faster and run longer and faster than I did then. Drinking beer on the other hand Embarassed Oh and my specific VO2 max is way better than it was then. (Measured ... wink )

I often feel the same as you - I am more skilful and ski faster....but I'm (somewhat) realistic about being over 60. The DIN setting takes into account that your body cannot sustain the same abuse.

I have always remained fit (apart from when my back deteriorated).....and the biggest area of decline that I've noticed, is my recovery time.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Old Fartbag, back? I (technically) broke mine at 26 and the surgeon said, well you can spend a week in bed and you'll have a mess when you're 50 or 6 months in bed and you might not ...

Last time it was MRI'ed, radiologist, "Good god what a mess!" Oh, yeah, that, eh? More exercise helps. And with recovery time. It's when you let things lapse that it become evident Shocked
snow conditions
@under a new name, I ended up with a L3/L4 Fusion due to a herniated disc.

I spend a lot of time on Mobility/Flexibility/Myofascial Release and Strength & Cardio training....but I can't handle the level of training that I did in my 20s/30s. Damage to the back causes weaknesses/muscle imbalances elsewhere.
latest report
Seems strange to me. OP asked a question about what others thought. Then rejected every other opinion and thought out of hand. And is consistently adamant that we wont consider changing his DIN settings anyway. So why ask the question?

As a matter of medical fact, no matter the level of fitness, bone density and muscle mass will have deteriorated at 65 years of age. Claims of being a superhero aside, there is significantly increased risk of serious leg injury (including very nasty breaks) at this age. That is why recommended DIN settings fall with age - although the age 50 cut-off is a bit static.

In short @Scooter in Seattle, it is entirely up to you what level of risk you are willing to accept. But there is no getting away from the fact that the risk of serious injury caused by bindings not releasing is much higher than it was in your 30s.
latest report
@zikomo, should one ski slower and not zip line bumps then?
ski holidays
@zikomo, I'd say you're being a bit harsh. Check again, I haven't rejected anything--or claimed to be anything other than what I am, which is I think is helpful for those inclined to consider my question. I'm simply looking for compelling arguments that suggest I should move from the status quo. It has been noted that one is more brittle when older. This is beyond debate, and also somewhat beside the point; maybe I'm guilty of asking the wrong question. What I'm trying to tease out is: is the risk to that older, more brittle person higher from an undesired release (and presumed crash) or from staying in when they needed to release (to prevent a leg injury) My calculus thus far has been that I'd rather stay in. But if I were sure I was right, I wouldn't have asked.
latest report
Why does it matter what little number is showing on your bindings? I ski at 5.5 hardly ever throw a ski and know the instant that I've made a mistake and thus will eject.
Release bindings are engineered to protect, set them to optimise that protection and worry little about your mates perception of "your" little number!!
snow report
Forgot to add I'm 61 next March......23rd 1st anniversary of lock-down one!
snow report
I am amazed that nobody has mentioned their skis releasing in a potential fall situation. I would like to keep my skis on in a couloir! On piste - whatever
snow report
@andy1234, exactly. Its about staying up when you're in good position but things are a little busy underfoot.
snow report
Rogerdodger wrote:
Why does it matter what little number is showing on your bindings? I ski at 5.5 hardly ever throw a ski and know the instant that I've made a mistake and thus will eject.
Release bindings are engineered to protect, set them to optimise that protection and worry little about your mates perception of "your" little number!!

Exactly this. 5.5 for me too, age 62 and 75kg. No need for willy waving on DIN numbers as no one knows what settings you have. But as ever, it’s personal choice, and I don't ski couloirs.
snow report
In all honesty @telford_mike, You hit the nail on the head refering to DIN willy waving.
For the record I'm 5kgs heavier than your good self.
latest report
@Rogerdodger, I'm the same age and weight, and @spyderjon says it should be 5.5, so it is.

Maybe, should it be a little higher off piste? I'm no expert, but wouldn't have thought more than 1/2 a setting.
snow report
To me, it simply boils down to this:

Go to somebody knowledgeable (preferably who you trust) - like SpyderJon - give them your stats, including where and how you ski (and any other feedback you deem relevant).....Then take their advice. Simples. snowHead
ski holidays
On or off- piste I believe should make no difference. In my earlier comment I said about making a mistake. Generally in powder I tend to ski slightly too far forward and go over the handle bars, leaving a ski behind. As I say, that is a mistake and the binding has done its job releasing me.

Edit: next birthday is 2nd anniversary of lock-down one! Oh how time flies.......
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
for those who do not have immediate access to SpyderJon, here are the tables to calculate or check your DIN settings. Don't forget to refer to the "corrections" below the table to get the appropriate setting for skill levels, perception of risk etc

Men: http://www.insideoutskiing.com/resources/AFNOR-Guide-for-males.pdf

Women: http://www.insideoutskiing.com/resources/AFNOR-Guide-for-females-.pdf
ski holidays
Just to be clear - I was pointing out that the risks of injury increase with age. The risk is higher for a 65 year old than a 30 year old, particularly when it comes to nasty bone breaks. This can be mitigated by a lower DIN release value. It is for each individual to decide what level of risk they are comfortable with. I have just turned 50 and while still able to ski as aggressively as ever, I have definitely slowed down a bit and much less likely to take on kickers. I ski the same terrain, including couloirs, but recognise that the risks are increasing so have naturally adjusted to that.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy