Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Oslo-Geilo

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm going to Geilo at end December. I've been several times before but thinking of a car rental, rather than the coach transfers we've previously had.

Oslo to Geilo road has always seemed fairly good and well maintained in winter - but I wasn't driving then!

Cars with just winter tyres and 2wd seemed to cope ok from what I saw previously within Geilo. So just checking if anyone would recommend snow chains? Or 4wd?

Cheers
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Welcome to Snowheads, @Treadmore. snowHead Can't report on driving to Geilo (I went by train, many years ago) but I've just read that Norway has banned all sales of alcohol in hospitality venues for at least 4 weeks. Might affect your packing decisions.....
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I cant be much help either in terms of Geilo but some general comments from an Easter trip to Trysil when we drove. We had winter tyres but the roads were well kept and as the base of the resort is low (is Geilo's?) so there wasnt much snow/ice where we had to park. But when we were there it snowed quite alot over night and I was a bit worried we wouldnt get out of the car parking space but these tyres had no problem at all, but again not really tested as the slope to/from the base of the resort to the town/main road wasnt substancial. The thing with your trip is thats in mid-winter so likely worse conditions, I would get chains as you'll be the one to suffer if you are trying to get to a flight and miss it.

I dont know about Geilo and whats there and what your situation is but we got the car for convenience to flight times and as self catering we used it for getting supplies in town rather than the more limited shop in resort.

But as @pam w, says if you're in doubt you could take the train, this thread has a bit on that

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=3540395&highlight=geilo#3540395

No matter the alcohol ban, its pretty pricy when they do sell it, so take as much as you can from duty free here.

Who knows, you might get lucky and get studded tyres!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've only done this trip once but it was by train from Oslo that was totally stress free. The hotel picked us up at the station in Geilo and the free ski bus from the hotels to and from the slopes worked really well.

One day we missed the last one and the night skiing bus was hanging around until the slopes opened for night skiing, and he took us to the hotel
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Train is easy, if a little lengthy. If from the airport you'll need to get a train into Oslo central station first. Times and tickets here: https://www.vy.no/en

Edit - if you're thinking about covid.. I just noticed it looks like are offering option of 6 seat compartments now on the Oslo-Geilo-Bergen line.

Re alcohol.... Oslo has one of the largest duty free shops I've seen, in the arrivals area just before baggage pickup
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
paulo wrote:
Re alcohol.... Oslo has one of the largest duty free shops I've seen, in the arrivals area just before baggage pickup

Still might be a bit pricey vs picking it up in your origin airport (if you can be arsed to carry it on the plane)
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks all for comments Happy
For some reason I'm "down a crevasse" Eh oh! so had to wait a day before posting back

I've driven in snow with winter tyres before so not too concerned on that aspect.

I thought about train but going out on a Sunday, and the scheduled times seem a little infrequent and we now have an unknown delay with the new covid test on arrival.

So still planning to do the hire car.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Treadmore, check this post for how to get rescued from your icy prison.

I've not driven to Geilo, but I've driven to Trysil, Lillehammer and Hemsedal (two or three times), in the middle of winter. Each time I've had normal winter tyres (not studded) and not needed anything more to get to resort. I have needed chains a few times: once on the way up the hill in Hemsedal, getting up to our cabin at Hafjell (Lillehammer) and getting in and out from the same cabin (for <50m before the roads were clear - I got really good at fitting chains on that trip). If we'd been staying in the main resort centre each time, we would not have needed chains.

I suspect that you'll be absolutely fine without chains, unless you have chosen to stay somewhere a bit unusual. There are a few Norway-based SHs who may be able to advise with more confidence. @Lilledonmarco, any thoughts?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Update: hirer advises just the snow tyres will be fine (and snow chains not allowed on their vehicles!)
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Now in Geilo. Roads all pretty much clear and straightforward.

Covid testing at Oslo was simple, taking between 30-60 minutes in all. There did seem to be a fast track, possibly for families??

I was last in Geilo (Vestlia side) Feb 2013 - it's changed a fair bit from tonight's quick look!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy