Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Family ski trip in Switzerland

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi everyone
I have spent hours looking in which resorts would be most suitable for our situation. We are a family of four (two kids aged 7 and 9 have never skied) and we are looking to stay at a ski resort from 23-27 December. At the moment we have booked a stay with free cancellation at Engelberg, but I'm wondering if another resort would be more suitable. Does anyone have any recommendations for a smaller resort that has both skiing and tobogganing? The slopes should be geared towards beginner and intermediate level, with maybe a handful of blacks to test my masculinity. Some ski runs through snow covered trees would be nice too! We intend to get the kids some ski lessons and will be travelling from Lucerne by public transport. Happy to travel up to 3 hours to get to the right place. Happy to hear any recommendations, including both high profile resorts as well as smaller not so well known resorts. We are from Australia so it would be nice to experience the magic of a beautiful town.
Thanks!
Mitch

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 14-12-21 15:03; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The Brunni side of Engelberg is fine for kids (Titlis I think less so) but you could also look at Melchsee Frutt or Sörenberg, both of which are close by but a bit more family orientated.

3 hours from Luzern is basically all of Switzerland!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks. We went to Engelberg two weekends ago and used the magic carpet at Brunni. I will check out the other two resorts you mentioned.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@mdelos10, are you living in Luzern?

If so Klewenalp is pretty close and small though I have not visited it myself.

@Nadenoodlee might have some suggestions.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We live in Basel, but we'll be heading to Lugano this weekend, then staying in Lucerne and then moving on to a ski resort.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Engelberg is fine, and Melchsee-Frutt is a good shout-out (never been to Sörenberg or Klewenalp). I would also add Stoos to the options - never been in winter, but it looks really good for a short family break. Similar overall concept to that of Melchsee-Frutt, I would say (car-free resort on a plateau, without road access), on a smaller scale and lower in elevation (does not look like a problem this year).
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Responding directly to the question "skiing and tobogganing"....you have to look at Grindelwald and Wengen. Most Brits are blown away by the scale of the toboggan routes.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I love Engelberg so I am biased but I also love Wengen and think its fab for young families.

I think Oberiberg/Hoch y Brig is also a good resort for families that are learning/ at different levels.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We did skiing and tobogganing a couple of years ago in Les diablerets
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Gstaad ticks all of the boxes. Not a ski resort but a really beautiful village with skiing. There are a 3/4 tobbogan runs from the top of the mountains to the bottom (a long way) and the pistes are mostly geared towards intermediates. Easy access too as there is a train station in the middle of town (and all of the satellite towns).
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Great shout for Gstaad from@Joy Zipper, not a destination with much "airtime" on SH's but does tick all the boxes. In addition it is very very pretty. Perhaps that's why Julie Andrews lives there!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Grindelwald and most of Jungfrau has everything you need. Its stunningly beautiful
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy