Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

In-person PCR testing near Eurotunnel arrivals?

Poster: A snowHead
Starting a new thread for this just in case my other question isn't spotted.

Has anyone used an in-person PCR-testing centre which is convenient to Eurotunnel arrivals at Folkstone? I'll arrive around 6pm and would like to get an immediate PCR test done somewhere nearby to increase the chances of getting the result back the following day.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You could try the Express-test drive through at Gatwick. I see there is also a "walk through" at Bluewater, Dartford. I think the Gatwick one is open till 8pm-it takes about an hour and 15 mins to drive there from the tunnel-perhaps it's a bit of a detour for you if you're heading to London..
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@rob@rar, there seems to be a Randox Health Covid-19 Test Dropbox, at the m25 clacket lane service centres, along with the HGV testing site.

i haven't a scooby doo what it entails, but maybe something to look into

https://motorwayservices.uk/Clacket_Lane
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@terrygasson, ah, that's much more convenient, we drive past and sometimes stop at Clackett Lane. Thanks, wouldn't have thought of that option, will investigate further. Buying their test kit prior to our travel then doing the test when we get to their drop box might be a good option.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@rob@rar, but will they send you the arrival test before you travel? All providers I've checked will post it in time for your arrival.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
www.hopetravelclinic.co.uk based in Folkestone - roughly 15 mins drive from Tunnel offer testing.
Have not used them personally, but have a friend who used them for a fit to fly PCR - everything went smoothly.

Most of the chit chat is around people who are flying - would be good to get some more personal experiences / advice etc from people driving using Tunnel and Ferry.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Dippy wrote:
www.hopetravelclinic.co.uk based in Folkestone - roughly 15 mins drive from Tunnel offer testing.
Have not used them personally, but have a friend who used them for a fit to fly PCR - everything went smoothly.

Most of the chit chat is around people who are flying - would be good to get some more personal experiences / advice etc from people driving using Tunnel and Ferry.

Any information would be very helpful.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Oleski wrote:
@rob@rar, but will they send you the arrival test before you travel? All providers I've checked will post it in time for your arrival.
Good question. I assumed I could get one posted to me prior to travelling. Will have to confirm that.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Dippy wrote:
Thanks, that's great, will take a look.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Following… Hi Rob!
Just checked out Hope. I think unfortunately say they don’t offer day 2 tests
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Following. Driving out on Friday and returning following Saturday before repeating again on the 26th. Think we’ve got the outbound sorted but need to sort out day 2 pcr’s as supposedly hosting my elderly FIL over Christmas. Any suggestions on expaditedntests welcome.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
jayne durham wrote:
Following… Hi Rob!
Just checked out Hope. I think unfortunately say they don’t offer day 2 tests
Hi Jayne, hope you and Steve are well. Shame about Hope, the search continues.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@rob@rar, chronomics have a drop off location in Ashford, but it's open only till 17:30 (16:00 Sunday) https://help.chronomics.com/drop-off-locations

Doesn't work for us, but may be doable for you?

The question of whether they will send the kit in advance remains Puzzled
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Oleski wrote:
@rob@rar, chronomics have a drop off location in Ashford, but it's open only till 17:30 (16:00 Sunday) https://help.chronomics.com/drop-off-locations

Doesn't work for us, but may be doable for you?

The question of whether they will send the kit in advance remains Puzzled

I think that's probably a bit too early for me to reach before their last collection. It's the same with Randox. Several very convenient locations to drop off their test kits, but they all seem to close by 5pm or earlier and I won't be able to get there on time.

Still looking for options...
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
We have a local post office that is open till 22:00, so will do the test when home and drop off there.
There is a good chance the kids will miss the first day at school, but I am not going to lose my sleep over this.
snow report
@Oleski, I haven't been able to find any in-person test centre near Folkestone or on my way home which stays open beyond 6pm. There are test centres at Gatwick and Heathrow which stay open until 8pm, which would be OK if everything ran to schedule on our drive home, but if there was any delay we'd probably miss our appointment and that would be a complete pain to resolve.

Beginning to think that an early morning in-person test the day after we get home is the best option.
snow report
I put this in the Cardiff to Dorset thread, but it's more appropriate here, so I'll repeat incase it helps anyone else...

We've decided on https://www.expresstest.co.uk/book-a-test/?activeFilter=2

This time they have a test Centre at Bluewater shopping centre, to the south of the Dartford bridge/tunnel. They're open till 9PM, so assuming your chunnel lands before about 7PM (departs France before 7:30PM) you should easily be able to make it before they close, and then have the results by 10pm the following day. So only one day of Covid Jail.

Of course the idea of going to Bluewater in the days running up to Christmas might be your idea of hell. Twisted Evil
ski holidays
Judwin wrote:
Of course the idea of going to Bluewater in the days running up to Christmas might be your idea of hell. Twisted Evil
Laughing
ski holidays
rob@rar wrote:
Judwin wrote:
Laughing

My sister once told me there is a reason that Brent Cross shopping centre isn't called Brent Happy shopping centre. Toofy Grin

We get back to the UK on 22nd Dec, so will have to isolate on 23rd anyway. Our reasoning is that after driving home through France starting about 7AM, getting a test late in the same day (7PM) before continuing home to Somerset cuts the quaranteen by at least one day, and perhaps a lot more if Christmas postal delays affect things. Gives me a day of peace and quiet on 23rd to get the socks, kacks and thermals washed ready for the next trip (on 26th Dec). Dunno what happens if Boris starts listening to Queen Nicola though.
ski holidays
Can you get a Randox test kit delivered for click and collect (There is a BP garage in Folkestone open 24 hours), take the test on the go and drop at a box?

My plan seemed solid but when you go to checkout it won't allow click and collect at that garage.

As we arrive in the UK on a Saturday, trying to get the samples sent on the Saturday, with results Monday, Rather than arrive Saturday, then have to wait all Sunday, send tests Monday and have to stay at home till Tuesday.....
snow conditions
@Topper, Welcome to snowHeads.

Having looked at different options I wasn’t able to find either a walk-in test centre or a drop-box which was open / had a collection late enough so that we get the PCR sample in to their system on the day we arrive. We are due to arrive at Folkestone Eurotunnel around 6pm. All the drop-boxes that I found had a last collection no later than 5.30pm, and the walk-in test centres convenient for my route mostly closed by 7pm, none of which I could guarantee to get to on time. My plan B is to book an early morning test at one of the Heathrow test centres (I live nearby) the day after we get home, as this seems to be the quickest way I can get my PCR sample in to the system.
ski holidays
Quote:

@Topper, Welcome to snowHeads.

Having looked at different options I wasn’t able to find either a walk-in test centre or a drop-box which was open / had a collection late enough so that we get the PCR sample in to their system on the day we arrive. We are due to arrive at Folkestone Eurotunnel around 6pm. All the drop-boxes that I found had a last collection no later than 5.30pm, and the walk-in test centres convenient for my route mostly closed by 7pm, none of which I could guarantee to get to on time. My plan B is to book an early morning test at one of the Heathrow test centres (I live nearby) the day after we get home, as this seems to be the quickest way I can get my PCR sample in to the system.

Cheers Rob. I live in Torquay, so was hoping to be able to pick up a test, take it and drop off enroute. I arrive in Folkestone 11h.
ski holidays
Topper wrote:
Cheers Rob. I live in Torquay, so was hoping to be able to pick up a test, take it and drop off enroute. I arrive in Folkestone 11h.
Plenty of drop-boxes enroute for you with that timing. The Randox ones I looked at had final collections between 4pm and 5.30pm. All too early for me, but for you I think that’s a workable option.

Can you order the PCR test kit ahead of time so you can take it with you, rather than trying to get a collection point near Folkestone?
snow report
Quote:

Plenty of drop-boxes enroute for you with that timing. The Randox ones I looked at had final collections between 4pm and 5.30pm. All too early for me, but for you I think that’s a workable option.

Can you order the PCR test kit ahead of time so you can take it with you, rather than trying to get a collection point near Folkestone?

Yeah the drop off is no issue, but I'm in France now so couldn't get a kit delivered here.
ski holidays
@Topper, if you can face routing via the M25 then you can get a 3-hr test at Heathrow (for £59), so you'll have the result before you get home. That's my plan, even though it adds an hour to my journey.
ski holidays
I did look at that. What put me off is the going to Heathrow part.

What company are you using in heathrow?
snow report
snowdave wrote:
@Topper, if you can face routing via the M25 then you can get a 3-hr test at Heathrow (for £59), so you'll have the result before you get home. That's my plan, even though it adds an hour to my journey.
Have you checked whether that test meets the UK requirement for a Day-2 Arrivals test? Most of the rapid test services at Heathrow don’t meet the requirements as they don’t look for the S-Gene Target Failure which would give first indication of an Omicron infection. The only rapid test at Heathrow which does seem to identify SGTF is the Halo service which is inconveniently located at a hotel attached to Terminal 5 rather than a perimeter road hotel.
ski holidays
@Topper, @rob@rar, I'm using Halo. I'll park at the Sofitel itself; it's more convenient for me (coming off the M25) than the perimeter road which is a congested nightmare of traffic lights, buses and random lane changes Happy
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@snowdave, is it possible to park at the Sofitel if you’re just there for for a spit test? I’d not thought of that, and the hassle of parking at T5 with the new access charge put me off. But if I can go straight to the Sofitel that’s a good option.
snow report
@rob@rar, you can park at the Sofitel for the restaurant, for conferences, for meetings etc., so I can't see why it will be a problem for a test. It's paid-for parking, so either way the hotel gets its pound of flesh.

In the context of my testing bill for the next fortnight (with a teenager in France), parking fees and access charges don't move the dial...
latest report
@snowdave, OK, that’s great. That might be my best option. When are you planning on using their service? Would appreciate any feedback if it’s before 28 December, when I’ll need to test.
ski holidays
@rob@rar, sorry, not till early Jan. Unless the rules change again!
ski holidays
snowdave wrote:
@rob@rar, sorry, not till early Jan. Unless the rules change again!
OK, I'll let you know how I get on, unless there's a rule change before the end of the month!

I've sent a message to Halo to ask about tests by people who aren't landing at Heathrow so will let you know if they respond. I'm trying to get a rapid test as we have a family event on the evening of the 28th, so if Halo can get me a result within three or four hours that would be great. As nobody else in the area seems to do an approved rapid test for Day-2 it looks like Halo is my only option.
ski holidays
rob@rar wrote:
snowdave wrote:
Have you checked whether that test meets the UK requirement for a Day-2 Arrivals test? Most of the rapid test services at Heathrow don’t meet the requirements as they don’t look for the S-Gene Target Failure which would give first indication of an Omicron infection. The only rapid test at Heathrow which does seem to identify SGTF is the Halo service which is inconveniently located at a hotel attached to Terminal 5 rather than a perimeter road hotel.

Are your sure of this? Eurofins website says their day 2 is valid.
I've booked eurofins heathrow drive through pcr day 2 for arrival a few hours after getting of eurotunnel so this concerns me, I've emailed Eurofins to see what they say.
Their email order confirmation also reckons results are closer to 3 hrs than the 12-24 hours stated on the website.
snow conditions
I've got a couple of Randox tests leftover from the Summer, I'm taking them with us, and will probably take the tests when we're under the sea, and drop them off in the 1st post box we find.
latest report
JohnF wrote:
rob@rar wrote:
snowdave wrote:

Are your sure of this? Eurofins website says their day 2 is valid.
Is it a rapid test (3 hours until the result)? All the main test centres are offering approved Day-2 tests, but as far as I can tell none of them are rapid tests, offering a 3-hour turnaround. The say they will get the result to you the day after you take the test. The only exception to this is the Halo test service based at Heathrow Terminal 5, which uses a different PCR technology (it's a spit test, not a swab) and is a rapid Day-2 approved test.
snow conditions
Hadn't seen eurofins, would've been ideal to stop into Asford centre on the way through but fully booked on the day i arrive.

Any other similar companies in the area or is it going to be a Heathrow airport detour for me....?
latest report
OK I re-read their confirmation email and the 3 hr result is for their Antigen test, which I didn't even order, very confusing for my tiny little brain. So the eurofins pcr day 2 Heathrow drive through result is 12-24 hours.
latest report
@Topper, there'a a Randox drop box at Maidstone Services, but it shuts at 15.45 . Late enough for us if we aren't delayed.
latest report
Quote:

there'a a Randox drop box at Maidstone Services, but it shuts at 15.45 . Late enough for us if we aren't delayed.

Yep, but just need to get the tests in between now and getting to the drop box on Saturday.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy