Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Hotel near Reims similar to Hotel Val Moret

Poster: A snowHead
We are now planning to bring forward our departure from the U.K. to late on Friday and looking for a recommendation for a hotel around Reims similar to Le Val Moret used by many regular drivers. We are looking for a locked car park with no height restriction as our and roof box will be full of Christmas presents which I do not want to unload in front of our kids who are believers! A remote hotel would also work. Thanks
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Also interested in suggestions here! I've a "last resort" room held at the premiere classe near Reims, but would rather stay somewhere that I don't have to lie awake listening for the car alarm all night Happy
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
http://www.booking.com/Share-TqPabD

mercure on outskirts of reims, nice rooms, parking is not secure as its open to all
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Sorry, slight thread drift - but is car burglary at French hotel car parks a big problem? We don’t usually drive through France en route to the snow but will be doing so this week, and now wondering how worried I need to be…

Thanks
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

is car burglary at French hotel car parks a big problem

I suspect not. It's talked about quite a lot here - but I don't remember seeing any reports of thefts, in all the years I've been on snowheads.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
We have booked the Ibis in Reims Thillois for out overnight stop on the way down.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Inboard, Last report I saw about someone raiding a roofbox was when an illegal emptied someone's, climbed in and reappeared when they opened it in Surrey, or somewhere similar. Laughing
Seriously, it must happen and I have seen french families dragging ski gear to their rooms. Like someone said above, listening out for car alarms does not make for good sleep. Puzzled
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@pam w, @skitow, thanks both. We won’t have anything external (and apart from skis, all bags hidden in boot) so I think we should be fine. Certainly I’d incline towards Pam’s view.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We frequently used Hotel Ibis Styles, Blvd Paul Doumer. Easy to get to, cheap, bar and restaurant and secure parking. Ask for a room overlooking the rear car park to avoid road noise.
We haven't used it for a number of years so I can't vouch for what it's like now but it was fine when we used to use it for our stopover to the PDS
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@FrediKanoute, the Ibis Budget? Cannot fault it. Great friendly staff, rooms all refurbed very recently and coffee and pastries to go for 2€
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'd recommend the Novotel at Reims Tinqueux which we have used many times. It is very close to the motorway exit and has an onsite restaurant with kids meal options.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
We use hotel BB in Bezannes or hotel Akena close by. On the tram line into Reims and handy for the supermarket and fuel. Both have a secure car park. Never seen or heard of any issues. Before I had a box I used to put my skis in the car for the night rather than on the ski rack but that was just precautionary. I wouldn’t say that there was any more risk than a UK hotel (probably less).
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Drive a bit further - to Troyes. There's an IBIS Styles with an underground car park.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@schnitzel_skier, My memory of the ibis styles in Troyes is that the carpark is small and may have a height restriction. I'm not sure if underground carparks are the best with roof boxes. They often have a 2 m height barrier. Whilst the Ibis styles in Troyes is very nice and a short walk from the town centre I think the novotel in reims is more practical with a roofbox. The carpark is above ground but there is a security gate which is shut at night.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@snowymum, you may well be right, to be honest I didn't have a roof-box. That said I've a vague recollection of seeing a Volvo 4x4 there with a box on the roof (but I could be thinking of somewhere else!!). I've just looked on Google Maps street view - unfortunately the photo resolution isn't quite good enough to see the numbers on the height warning bar.
ski holidays
If you’re going as far as Troyes before stopping then I can recommend the auberge-du-lac.fr at Mesnil Saint Pere just east of Troyes. Not a secure car park but would be astounded if anything happened there. It’s really off the beaten track but the setting near the lake is lovely and the restaurant is superb. They even sell local Troyes champagnes at very reasonable prices
ski holidays
Thanks all

@snowymum, is the Novotel car park secure?

@RobH2017, thanks for this. I can see BB Bezannes has availability for Friday. Does the secure car park have a height restriction?.

I am always concerned about getting the car broken into at overnight as stuff is in full view and would be a major PITA to deal with and cause delays. I am sure it is not an significant issue but could be a risk around the larger urban areas.

@schnitzel_skier, Thanks we are very late crossing and think Reims suits us arriving around midnight - we would normally power through to Hotel Val Moret if we were on an earlier crossing.
ski holidays
@Ozboy,
We had the same problem last summer as all the car parks in Reims were just car parks, could not fit the van in.
We got sorted at "Hôtel des Arcades" a cheap and cheerful hovel right in the centre of town.

The parking was in a secure multi story about 100 metres away. In a pedestrianised area.
What3Words:
///graphics.riches.dilute

The Hotel is at:
///silent.qualified.cage

Reims is pronounced "Rance" with a sort of guttural bit on the "a".
snow conditions
No height restrictions as far as I can remember. A sliding gate on a PIN.
ski holidays
Nadenoodlee wrote:
@FrediKanoute, the Ibis Budget? Cannot fault it. Great friendly staff, rooms all refurbed very recently and coffee and pastries to go for 2€

Second vote here for the Ibis Budget. Secure car park, a couple of minutes from the motorway, and a 24-hour drive-thru McDonalds about 5 minutes away if you arrive late!
latest report
@Ozboy, It is a couple of years since our last visit to the Reims tinqueux Novotel. however my memory is that the carpark has a high fence and is gated. The gates are shut late evening so anyone entering overnight would need to press the buzzer for reception to open the gate.
snow conditions
@snowymum, Thanks for your help I am about to book as its quite reasonable for a family of 4 in one room.
latest report
@Ozboy, Glad you have found a good deal for that Novotel. Hope you have a good holiday.
latest report
+1 for the Novotel at Reims (well the Tinquex one as that’s just off the motorway so you don’t need to drive in to the centre).
It’s got a Carrefour next to it where you can get reasonable priced petrol, decent restaurant in the hotel or a McDonalds and Courtpaille within a few hundred metres.
We’ve used it in both winter and summer, winter with roofbox, and summer with 4x bikes on the back.
Haven’t heard of any major thefts there, but I do put 3x locks on the bikes and at least one that is connected to the welded on part of the tow bar.
Hope I haven’t just jinxed us now and lose all the bikes on our next trip….
ski holidays
@Ozboy, we've stayed in both of the following. Not quite as close to Autoroute as Val Moret, but with secure gated parking

Auberge de Moissons, 5 minutes from St Gibrien exit, Chalons-en-Champagne.

Relais de Fleurettes, Pontavert . North of Reims, about 10 mins drive from the Berry-au-Bac exit.

Both have restaurants, but neither are close to towns, so you are limited to eating there.
ski holidays
@Hells Bells, good call on the Auberge de Moissons, I'd forgotten completely about that; stayed there a few years back and it was lovely.
latest report
@snowdave, probably our favourite. We're gutted we can't stay on our trip next week, as they always close over Christmas and New Year.
ski holidays
@Hells Bells, thanks HB. Already booked the Novotel but will keep these in mind for Feb half term as Val Moret is sold out for our return journey.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Hells Bells, thanks again - the power of Snowheads at work. Got a nice family room at the Auberge des Moissons for little more than 2 dubious rooms at the premiere classe. Hopefully it's as good as it was all those years ago.
ski holidays
Out of interest has anyone stayed near Lac O’Rient - not far off the autoroute near Val Moret? A few hotels have popped up in searchers and could be a good option for summer stop over (or maybe winter).
snow conditions
@Ozboy, my post above is on the shore of the lac d’Orient. Auberge-du-lac.fr (the clue is in the domain name Very Happy )
ski holidays
@rdsweb, sorry I missed it as was not tuned to going to Troyes this time. Looks like a gem of an area with good availability in winter. Might to there in February. We too find the champagne around that area really good value and always pickup some random local bottles from Val Moret to take home.
snow conditions
@Ozboy, the area round the lake seems to be a big favourite with campers and mobile homers in summer. We were last there beginning of September 2020 just as the French kids had gone back to school and it was virtually deserted. It is very picturesque
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy