Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Crystal Ski - Package Refund Guarantee - NOT

Poster: A snowHead
When booking with Crystal your correspondence contains a Crystal covid promise logo which includes:

'Package refund guarantee'.

When you then get an email from Crystal stating:

"We're aware that the lockdown in Austria has been lifted in time for your ski holiday. However, we need to make you aware of new restrictions which means restaurants must close at 11pm and they’ll have reduced capacity too. Also, pubs, nightclubs and après-ski bars won’t be open. We understand this will impact the enjoyment of your holiday."

This promise has been made with fingers crossed.

Crystal position is that, despite recognising that the holiday offered has been impacted resulting in acknowledged reduced enjoyment (ski holiday with no bars and reduced capacity restaurants), the only alternative is an amended booking requiring you to commit to revised dates by close of play tomorrow.

How is this in any way realistic with a group of skiers?

Otherwise there is no refund, or an option of a credit against a future booking.

Customer loyalty is hard won and easily lost.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Goodness me! You have the opportunity to go skiing in these difficult times but without bars and emptier restaurants. Your glass may be half empty but mine’s half full. I’m looking forward very much to travelling to Flaine tomorrow, but I’ll be keeping away from the bars and busy restaurants to ensure I can pass the fly home Covid test and avoid being quarantined in France instead of getting home for New Year. I seem to remember that Austrian ski bars were a key spreader of the initial pandemic in Europe. Enjoy the fantastic skiing and have fun!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
FWIW. I have sympathy with you and sympathy with Crystal.

They have lost serious money during the Pandemic....and if you book a Holiday during a pandemic, you can expect issues/disruptions.

The Holiday is still going ahead, albeit with resort restrictions.

Bookings have been very busy, so slotting in different dates may be awkward and need time to sort.

All I can say, is either just go and enjoy yourselves and concentrate on the good; or maybe make your case for a slight extension to sort something different.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Cant see the issue here, your holiday is available with a bit less "apres" why don't you go, enjoy your time on the slopes and in the bars (while they're open) and be grateful you get to ski this year.
I fail to see how its Crystal's fault that you travel in a group and may find it hard to get agreement throughout the group regarding changes.
Many people will miss out altogether again this year for one reason or another so as On The Rocks says.....enjoy the fantastic conditions and have some fun!
In further defence of Crystal my January trip has been amended and they've been 100 percent on the ball with us.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
andy'n'netty wrote:

Many people will miss out altogether again this year for one reason or another...

I suspect that I will be one of them, as I usually go with Crystal....and this year, left the holiday to see how Covid went. Prices sky-rocketed, availability nose-dived and Omicron appeared....and with the extra hassle and costs over testing, have (probably) decided not to go (especially as this year I'm on my own). If I had a holiday booked that was going ahead, given the current conditions....I'd be running onto the plane.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Sat 11-12-21 13:51; edited 4 times in total
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Old Fartbag wrote:
.and if you book a Holiday during a pandemic, you can expect issues/disruptions.

The Holiday is still going ahead, albeit with resort restrictions..

I totally agree with this. A bit unfortunate if thats something that was key to you but it doesn’t sound like it is a material change to what is a SKIING holiday that would trigger a refund scenario. And not much Crystal can do about local regulatory issues about restaurants closing times and capacities?

You lucky to be going, ours at Xmas got cancelled on us so now scrambling around trying to reorg for another time. So go and enjoy the skiing.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
[quote="Old Fartbag"]
andy'n'netty wrote:

...I'd be running onto the plane.

+1. Best early season snow for decades and a sacrifice I'd be more than willing to make.

Think of the money you'll save having your evening drinks in your accommodation instead
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Was Après part of the package supplied by Crystal? Thought not!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
On the rocks wrote:
Goodness me! You have the opportunity to go skiing in these difficult times but without bars and emptier restaurants. Your glass may be half empty but mine’s half full. I’m looking forward very much to travelling to Flaine tomorrow, but I’ll be keeping away from the bars and busy restaurants to ensure I can pass the fly home Covid test and avoid being quarantined in France instead of getting home for New Year. I seem to remember that Austrian ski bars were a key spreader of the initial pandemic in Europe. Enjoy the fantastic skiing and have fun!

It's a self created opportunity that I have paid for. It's not the benefit of some form of benevolence that has landed me with the trip.

The restaurants will not be emptier - they will be full based upon restricted occupancy.

You may enjoy skiing like a monk and great if that is your thing. Its not my group's thing and my experience is my group is a reasonable representation of lots of skiers.

Maybe many will get pissed up on the slopes in the huts instead? Nice safe skiing.

So for a multitude of reasons this is not the holiday I booked.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@cooperman17, I understand your disappointment that you may not get the full ski trip experience of times past.

However, none of the features affected are within the control of Crystal, or any other TO. If they deliver the package you’ve paid for, they’ll have met their part of the deal.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Not sure if you can get food delivery but if you’re self catering you will have cooking facilities so maybe make a rota. I am sure you would be worse off if there was no snow rather than less eateries. Book online for the meals you want?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@cooperman17,

Your post must be a wind up , surely
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
cooperman17 wrote:
On the rocks wrote:

It's a self created opportunity that I have paid for. It's not the benefit of some form of benevolence that has landed me with the trip.

The restaurants will not be emptier - they will be full based upon restricted occupancy.

You may enjoy skiing like a monk and great if that is your thing. Its not my group's thing and my experience is my group is a reasonable representation of lots of skiers.

Maybe many will get pissed up on the slopes in the huts instead? Nice safe skiing.

what kind of holiday did you think you would be getting when you booked?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mr.Egg wrote:

what kind of holiday did you think you would be getting when you booked?

From what I've read - a Pre-Covid style holiday.....which imv is the problem.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Crystal aren't supplying the Apres or restaurants. Not their problem or responsibility.

Stop whining and enjoy it!
ski holidays
There was never a chance of a normal skiing holiday. I along with everyone else may have hoped for it, but we are taking what we are given. My only fear is a positive test two days before coming home!
snow report
cooperman17 wrote:
On the rocks wrote:

I think Crystal are perfectly in order and you should be very grateful that you can go skiing. I feel sorry for the people whose livelihoods depend on skiing hospitality though. By the way, I have never knowingly seen a monk ski but I have met a few and I can assure you that "On the rocks" is not like a monk either on or off the snow. (Enjoy Flaine "on the rocks" - the snow looks perfect)
snow report
We're still hopefully going out to our apartment before Christmas and returning home after New Year. We're happy to be going and getting our skis on. We may eat in every night, money's tighter than it was in any case, as we've had to supplement the French expenses due to lack of bookings since March 2020. Summer's been OK, but last winter almost non-existent. We still may have nothing for January,as our only booking has not paid their balance (they booked through a third party). As they booked in March, they were well aware of what restrictions could be in place for this winter. There were no lifts open last season, we couldn't travel to France without an 'essential reason'. and PCR tests and quarantine were needed on our return. Things are much less strict now, but seemingly not enough for them to pay what they are due. They are vaccinated, have had boosters and can enter France with just a lateral flow. They claim to be unconcerned about things being different. While I do have some sympathy for you it is not Crystal's problem, just like tightening of restrictions on ski lifts and in bars is not mine.
ski holidays
Ok, I got the same email (going on 13th) and I thought it extremely fair of Crystal to let people reschedule. Despite being all ready to go, having booked all tests, parking etc, and looking forward to it, we caved, rang them (God knows how much I spent of calling, constantly engaged and no way of knowing number of people in queue) and we've now rescheduled holiday to March. Why? I could have lived with restrictions but the Covid situation seems to be getting worse daily. And therefore the risk of being stuck in Austria in isolation over Christmas was becoming greater. My family wanted me to cancel and logically I think they were right so I did. Not sure I'm Very Happy or Crying or Very sad about it though but credit to Crystal for giving us the choice.
latest report
PeakyB wrote:
@cooperman17, I understand your disappointment that you may not get the full ski trip experience of times past.

However, none of the features affected are within the control of Crystal, or any other TO. If they deliver the package you’ve paid for, they’ll have met their part of the deal.

I’ll pick this one to respond to.

Crystal offered a full refund guarantee.

So, it has not met it’s part of the deal.

Could you and others please read the full content of my post before you make your comments.

This would make the thread constructive.
snow report
Isn't this a decision that could have been made during the lockdown? Presumably you've been aware of the possibility that your options would be limited since the lockdown in Austria was announced on November 16th? We didn't even know that Austria would be open in the next couple of weeks until Tuesday.
snow report
@cooperman17, Which bit of 'the deal' you have with Crystal is not being met?
And is there an 'I've changed my mind and don't want to go anymore' in the guarantee?
snow conditions
@cooperman17,

Quote:

I’ll pick this one to respond to.

So, it has not met it’s part of the deal.

Could you and others please read the full content of my post before you make your comments.

I’ve pasted below Crystal’s Package Refund Guarantee.

‘If you book a package holiday, you're protected under the package holiday refund guarantee. This means that if we need to cancel your holiday, you’ll be able to change your booking to another Crystal holiday fee-free, or we’ll give you a full refund within 14 days.

If we do cancel your holiday, we'll be in touch as quickly as possible to discuss your options with you.’
ski holidays
cooperman17 wrote:

My understanding for this coming season, is that the conditions for a full refund, was a Country being moved onto the Red List prior to travel.
latest report
@cooperman17,
Quote:

if we need to cancel your holiday

They haven't cancelled, they've offered to move it IF that would be better for you

You haven't a leg to stand on
snow report
@cooperman17, I have read your post thoroughly, they are not cancelling your holiday, your accommodation is open and you are able to travel to it, so they are not cancelling. In the circumstances, I think they are being very generous.
snow conditions
Quote:

You haven't a leg to stand on

I agree. It's unreasonable to expect travel companies who have been struggling for ages to guarantee every peripheral aspect of a holiday under current circumstances.
ski holidays
cooperman17 wrote:

What exactly is "the holiday we book"? A drinking holiday? A partying holiday?

In the middle of a pandemic!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Dry your eyes! Did you think this guarantee would come into play if your favourite run was poorly pisted? Or if the beers were unpleasantly pricy this year? Or any of a million other minor things, outside of the TO control, that might make this “not the holiday you wanted? rolling eyes
snow report
abc wrote:
cooperman17 wrote:

What exactly is "the holiday we book"? A drinking holiday? A partying holiday?

In the middle of a pandemic!

Imagine offering a holiday in the middle of a pandemic with a covid comfort sell of a full refund.

Imagine you had booked relying on this promise.
ski holidays
gilo wrote:
Dry your eyes! Did you think this guarantee would come into play if your favourite run was poorly pisted? Or if the beers were unpleasantly pricy this year? Or any of a million other minor things, outside of the TO control, that might make this “not the holiday you wanted? rolling eyes

Crystal have stated to me that my holiday will not be as enjoyable.

Not someone on a forum who can press roll eyes. But my tour operator.

Anything relevant to add?
ski holidays
Looks like the court of opinion is against you on this one, that's the "we" you were asking about on another thread Very Happy
latest report
Am I reading this correctly - crystal are offering you a reschedule because a minor part of the ski holiday is affected. This strikes me as incredibly generous. I doubt if they'd do the same if the major part was affected such as poor snow conditions.
They are probably doing it because they know few people will take up the offer but it sounds good.
latest report
So, in summary:
"Aw diddums"
snow conditions
cooperman17 wrote:

Imagine offering a holiday in the middle of a pandemic with a covid comfort sell of a full refund.

Just for clarification, can you print the terms and conditions, where Crystal have told you that they would give you a Full Refund, even though the Holiday is taking place?
snow conditions
@cooperman17, The skiing is open, you booked a ski holiday, while you may be disappointed about apres restrictions, that’s not what you have paid Crystal for.

@cooperman17, Imagine offering a holiday in the middle of a pandemic with a covid comfort sell of a full refund.

Promise of what skiing or drinking?
snow report
ski3 wrote:
Looks like the court of opinion is against you on this one, that's the "we" you were asking about on another thread Very Happy

There is no particular love for Crystal on here and very few things we all agree on - except the need for properly fitted Ski Boots - but this seems to be uniting everybody. We say what we think - which is not necessarily what the OP wants to hear.
snow conditions
gilo wrote:
Did you think this guarantee would come into play if your favourite run was poorly pisted? Or if the beers were unpleasantly pricy this year? Or any of a million other minor things, outside of the TO control, that might make this “not the holiday you wanted? rolling eyes

One year, I flew all the way to Denver; met up with my Brother and his Family - and drove for hours to get to Crested Butte. The idea was to get knee deep champagne powder. What we actually got, was the worst conditions for years, so we scrapped about on hard snow, avoiding the bare patches. Ironically, Europe actually had much better conditions. Anything above a Red was closed, due to a lack of snow. Still had a great holiday though... IMV. By far the most important thing on a Skiing Holiday is the quality of the company and the quality of the snow, closely followed by decent weather. Anything else can be worked around.

Every year you are at the mercy of the weather. This year, we are at the mercy of Covid (and the weather).

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Sat 11-12-21 17:23; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
My tuppence ..
If I go skiing with a group we really dont need anyone else to make our holiday enjoyable.. If there isnt a bar to wee wee it up in then we would get the beeers in and have a great time either way... Pre book the restaurants for lunch.. you can eat drink and be merry there..same with the evening too. I understand that it may be a winter holiday rather than a full ski holiday youre after ...
Think the biggest mistake was Crystal offering the change ... if they hadnt youd still be looking forward to going ..
So, forget all the stuff on here ... get packed and get ready to get away ...... it will be great ( and you should guarantee that to yourself)
ski holidays
I'm in a similar position in that I've got two holidays booked with Crystal and have been offered the opportunity to re book to another date in the light of the more stringent testing requirements. They will only offer a cash refund if they have to cancel through government travel bans i.e.if a destination becomes red. I think if you read the small print in the terms and conditions of your holiday you will discover that TUI/Crystal are being fully compliant with English Contract law. In essence, you wouldn't have a leg to stand on if you decided to take matters further. Just go and enjoy the wonderful snow conditions on offer and enjoy a drink or two with your evening meal. Save the money you'd normally spend on Apres and hire a guide for the day with your group. Look at the positive opportunities not the negative ones.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy