Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Pardon my French, but...

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Skiing this year is cancelled. We know it was always a luxury for us, and always at the higher end of our holiday budget but we saved all year for it, self caterd in basic accomodation and went for the snow and atmosphere.
This change to pre departute tests, in resort testing, day 2 day 8 testing is just too much now.

For the 4 of us it's well over £500 for testing. I'd rtaher spend it on a short UK Christmas break. Shame as the snow looks excellent and I do hope many of you manage to go and have a great trip, but for us, we're out. I hope those that rely on the winter tourism in the Alps manage to make a good year of it if families are dropping out, it's a bloody nightmare, full of contradiciting advice.

merd, merd merdy merd show
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Can you not leave some options open? It's a fast moving situation that is far more likely to change, for better or worse, than stay the same.

I'm determined to go at Easter if at all possible, but will drive to maintain flexibility and have accomodation (cheap self catering) options in both Austria and France to hedge my bets.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It’s the change that’s frustrating!

Last minute change can incur financial costs beyond what’s budgeted. Fir those without deep pockets, It maybe best to focus on what’s achievable than vain hope the change goes in one’s favor.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Suggestion: sounds like you were planning on doing this over the holiday season when things cost the most. Maybe just be patient (easy for me to say) and go to Italy to ski in the spring...much more affordable then, and the weather is nicer. Also by waiting you give some time to, maybe, let this virus stuff calm down.

I'm assuming that two of the four of you are kids, and you may be stuck with the school schedule. We broke the rules a couple of times with our kids and travelled during school. The last year or two have proven that the world does not stop if your kid doesn't see the classroom for a couple of days! It worked well for us. I hope you can make a trip happen.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@ralphster, there is no Day 8 (yet) unless you are unvaccinated
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for the advice all, we'll move our flights to early next year and I'll keep an eye on the first few weeks of skiing this year hoping that those who could afford the testing have had a succesful trip.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
easter is a good time to ski this year, go high and you will get a cheap sunny ski holiday Very Happy
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Here's a French verb you could apply: "Demerder," literally to un-s*** things. Hopefully the situation will se demerder, as you might say, and work itself out for the better.

But I do understand pulling the plug now. We have some complicated holiday plans (not involving skiing, but involving Vienna) and I'm stressed just thinking about cancellations/deposits/airline credits etc...
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@ralphster, I feel your pain bruv. Haven't been on a board for 2 years and I'm suffering. Can't plan cos of covid restrictions so leaving it til last minute and hope for the best.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'm the same. Was last going in January 2020 but France shut down 3 days before departure. Wrote off January 2021 but have been hoping for next January, until the 10 days quarantine abroad came in. Much as I love both France and skiing spending 10 days at great expense in isolation is too much. I would be driving anyway and could get from France to my front door without leaving my car (except for a pee!). My last hope is that things ease in January, but I'm not holding my breathe.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@welshskier, The Swiss 10 day quarantine was dropped last week - is there a different one for France?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@oui4ski, I'm no expert but the Swiss one, now dropped, was quarantine for passengers arriving in Geneva, even if they intended to go to France immediately, whereas the new one is for travellers intending to enter the UK. They have to have a negative test within 24 hours of entering the UK or cannot enter. I believe this is to be reviewed on December 20. It clearly is putting many off all sorts of foreign holidays. These rules seem to be changing daily, which does not encourage anyone. Or we could follow Boris and just do what we feel like!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Update, from last night - Sajid Javid said: "Very soon, in the days and weeks that lie ahead, if, as I think is likely, we see many more infections and this variant [omicron] becomes the dominant variant, there will be less need to have any kind of travel restrictions at all." Don't understand the logic but that is nothing new. Apparently last year if you wanted a Christmas party you had to call it a meeting. This year if you want to have a meeting you have to call it a Christmas party! Fingers crossed.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ralphster wrote:
Thanks for the advice all, we'll move our flights to early next year and I'll keep an eye on the first few weeks of skiing this year hoping that those who could afford the testing have had a succesful trip.

ajc2260626 wrote:
easter is a good time to ski this year, go high and you will get a cheap sunny ski holiday Very Happy

Obviously no-one can predict the future in these uncertain times, but Easter feels like a good shout to me. December and January are going to be prone to issues as, echoing the cold/flu season, it's always at risk of the winter spike and rise in cases. Even as the situation improves, we could find ourselves in a situation where we have a relatively normal summer next year but still see that winter spike. Hopefully we get to a point where vaccinations and lack of mutations mean that the winter spike is entirely manageable, but until that point it feels that (if you're only booking one week) Feb-April is maybe a safer time to book a skiing holiday*

*which, in saying that, probably guarantees an easter lockdown
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy