Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Worst Summer to Date

Poster: A snowHead
I know we're not very far into the summer yet but I've got a feeling that this will be the worst yet. Mrs P remains stedfast in her view that 5 months skiing a year is enough for anyone, me? I disagree, but I'm not allowed any ski trips over the summer period.

So how am I going to keep myself entertained over the summer?

Who wants to build some skis?

I'm in West London. I have lots and lots of free time, limited space, some tools, a good understanding of ski building and lots of experience of skiing different skis.

I'm looking for a buddy, or buddies, who would be interested in sharing the resources and associated costs of making some skis over the summer.

Any takers?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
parlor, hmmm - that could be interesting. have absolutely no idea what would be involved (well, nothing beyond looking at www.skibuilders.com ) but what's the worst that could happen? Madeye-Smiley

how much outlay do you think will be involved in materials etc?

i'm based in reasonably central london so if you want to meet for a pint to discuss it, drop me a PM
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Arno, PM on the web.

Skibuilders got me started thinking about this as a project.

I haven't done too much research yet as I haven't got all the things that I need to get this running so I'd need a partner in crime. Costs, are far as I can see, aren't *huge* depending on what the goals are. One of the reasons for looking for others to come in on this is that some of the materials would have to be shipped from Europe or the US and would only be available in bulk so producing one pair of skis is expensive but a few pairs would really reduce the costs.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
parlor, wow, that's dedication! I am more interested in building my skiing skills first.... maybe in a few years' time...

Good luck! snowHead
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ooh, that could be fun... Am based in West London but have relatively little free time and no space in which to build them. If we could find a workshop I could be interested, depending on price etc. Drop me a mail to vonstarnberg at gmail dot com ?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
parlor, From your title thread, I thought you meant your chat up lines weren't working this year Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hi starnberg e-mail sent...
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
maggi, in the equipment reviews / question section? Twisted Evil

TallTone, thanks. I think it's actually addiction rather than dedication.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
parlor, Can help in any way i can, keep in touch, good luck. Little Angel
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
SMALLZOOKEEPER, did you not make some skis at some point? I'm sure I read something like that. Tips welcome...
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
parlor, Yes mate, however it was just a case of assembling the already r Little Angel esourced materials in the mould and hitting a switch.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
SMALLZOOKEEPER, that's no use.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Parlor, you're going to need some seriously big space to build some ski's. I can only guess that if you make some for yourself they'll end up fatter than they are long Laughing
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Pumba, wrong way round dude, that's why I want to make some skis. Fat skis can be bought: Prophets, Pontoons, Big Daddies, Faty-pus, Lotus, Spats etc. but you just can't buy LONG skis with modern dimensions... Can we make it at your station? Actually you might be able to help... have you got any spare fire hose lying around? Probably need around two lengths of around 220cm each... can you help?

I've been looking at a design for a ski mold that can be adjusted for different length skis. As for overall design I've been thinking of three skis that I would like to add to my quiver, the first doesn't get made by anyone: 200 - 205cm with around 110 - 115mm underfoot, 30 - 40m sidecut, normal camber and stiff. And the other two skis that I'd be interested in would be something shaped like a Pontoon, huge shovel tapered to the tail, playing with the sidecut at different points down the ski with reverse camber. The third design would be something like the Spatula or Lotus, reverse sidecut and reverse camber.

Hope ^ that doesn't put anyone off. These would just be MY design skis, we can use the ski press to make pretty much anything YOU care to ski. I just figured that if you're gonna make something you should either make something that you can't buy or something that you wouldn't normally buy.

Twisted Evil
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
parlor, WHAT??? i was planning on making an exact replica of a rossi B2 wink

actually, something longish (maybe not 200cm for me) fat and straight and something Lotus-ish were exactly what I had in mind
ski holidays
Arno, I've got a line on some X-Screams if you're interested... Wink
snow conditions
parlor,

Those prophets are going to your head. Still, you did rip on them. I'm off to Wanaka in August to get on the heli. Find something worth taking my Made'ns on. Two pairs of skis and a 20kg limit doesn't make for a lot of clothes.
ski holidays
flicksta, lucky lucky you. You could try all the old tricks like wearing all your gear on the plane, beeper, helmet etc Just pack crampons and ice axes in the hold. What do you need down there anyway? Ski gear and a pair of shorts should cover it no? Twisted Evil
snow conditions
parlor, I wish to help, can i start by naming the range?

'FISH-TALE'

To include:

Mach-R-Hell. Fast, stiff and pretty.

Manta-Ray. Short, wide and graceful.

Great-White. Speaks for itself, BIG, fat, mean and 25m long! One for you Parlor!!!!!

Hammer-Head. Awsome twin-tip, with a radar like talent for searching out great snow.

Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
ski holidays
Could easily get some hose for you mate, just would cost a fortune to post to London. Nip down to your local station, (on every street corner in London I believe!) and I'm sure they'll sort you some out. Just take some variety pack of biscuits with you, it works everytime, or alternatively send Mrs P along we'll do anything for the ladies Blush
snow report
Pumba, hmmmm, not sure Mrs P would come back Wink Top tip. (errrr-this is where is sounds like I'd like to get rid of her -fair enough, I could go skiing then). There must be a firestation round here somewhere. What's the best way to find one? Dial 999 and give them my address???

SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
parlor, I fish to help, can i start by naming the range?

'FISH-WHALE'

To include:

Mach-R-Hell. Fast, stiff and pretty. High in Omega 3, popular with seals. Available in tins (free indoor ski session).

Manta-Ray. Short, wide and graceful. Previoulsy The Danny Devito. Comes with free fartbag.

Great-White. Speaks for itself, BIG, fat, mean and 25m long! Eats surfers and divers. Only available in one size.

Hammer-Head. Aggressive twin-tip, with a radar like reputation for searching out great snow. Popular with tourists.

Killer. Does what it says on the tin.

Humpback. Perfect for hiking.

Minkes. Kids skis.

Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Thanks Uncle SZK, I'll keep those in mind. Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
Parlor - there's a big new one up by the Tescos on the main road up to Shepherds Bush. Best get Mrs P into her heels & equipped with a pack of digestives or two... Smile
ski holidays
parlor wrote:
And the other two skis that I'd be interested in would be something shaped like a Pontoon, huge shovel tapered to the tail, playing with the sidecut at different points down the ski with reverse camber.

Project Isosceles is to be, oh happy 240-120-0 day. Very Happy

Blue Whale. Huge Japan sales, profits delayed by Greenpeace skiblader rammings.
latest report
parlor, what a cool idea. I'm in SW3. I'll help, even if only by buying beers.

But what about the famed Stockli DP Pros? 201cm, 100cm (I think) underfoot, radius immaterial (as meaningless)??

Can I order a pair of 201cm, 66cm underfoot, race department Rossi 7SKs? Can I make them the original metallic turquoise? Oooohhhh lurvly...
snow report
just checked out skibuilders.

Question. Why bother curving edges round the tips? 1. they're clearly only using them in pow which questions the need for edges at all. 2. you'll never use the curvy bits at the end.

Am I getting pedantic?
snow conditions
David Murdoch, I have had similar feelings about the edges. There is no edge material on my Explosives and that's one of the toughest skis ever made.

I think 66cm underfoot is going a litle far, but something like the original DPs would be awesome. I skied this seasons and found them too soft. Dominic must be getting old Wink

Check your PMs for gettting involved...
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy