Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

First Time at Chamonix

Poster: A snowHead
Hi All,

I am going to Chamonix with friends for a few days and have heard it’s great, but want an idea of what to expect in terms difficulty. I am by no means a great skier - I am a solid blue in Northeast USA mountains. Can sometimes *slowly* make my way down an easy black.

Am I screwed at Chamonix or are there plenty of trails that service my level of skill? Just want to know what to expect!

Thank you

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 7-12-21 17:12; edited 2 times in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Welcome to Snowheads, @TheCommish. There are pistes of all levels of difficulty in Chamonix, and some will certainly be beyond you (as they are beyond me). The areas are separate, and a bit spread out - but at both ends of the domain, in Les Houches and Le Tour, there are some good options which I've enjoyed in the past. There are a lot of Chamonix experts on SHs who will no doubt have suggestions to add.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@TheCommish, Are you coming from the US? There are many places in the Alps that you will get much more from than Chamonix but if you are sticking to Chamonix then the Les Houches and Vallorcine areas should suit you well, although you may not be as wowed by them as you're hoping for
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yes, coming from the US with a bunch of friends. Chamonix is the already booked but noted, will look at other places in the Alps in the future.

Thanks for the reply.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Tue 7-12-21 17:12; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
pam w wrote:
Welcome to Snowheads, @TheCommish. There are pistes of all levels of difficulty in Chamonix, and some will certainly be beyond you (as they are beyond me). The areas are separate, and a bit spread out - but at both ends of the domain, in Les Houches and Le Tour, there are some good options which I've enjoyed in the past. There are a lot of Chamonix experts on SHs who will no doubt have suggestions to add.

Good to hear, thank you!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
It's fine for you with plenty in that skill range, obviously the big stuff there too but you'd have to intentionally target that to get on it.

I've been with very mixed skill groups without problem as there's something for everyone. In "main" ski areas Brevent and Flegere along one side of the valley would be the principal choice (the view across to the more extreme side generally is spectacular from there too) with, as mentioned, la tour and les houches at opposing ends of the valley each having generally accessible more mild terrain.

Don't feel there's anything to worry about and will be great for you to visit. Hope you enjoy the trip.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
TheCommish wrote:
Hi All,

I am going to Chamonix with friends for a few days and have heard it’s great, but want an idea of what to expect in terms difficulty. I am by no means a great skier - I am a solid blue in Northeast USA mountains. Can sometimes *slowly* make my way down an easy black.

Am I screwed at Chamonix or are there plenty of trails that service my level of skill? Just want to know what to expect!

Thank you

The on piste stuff is not difficult. You’ll be fine. Enjoy the views and amazing high alpine scenery which is simply stunning, especially from Brevent/Flegere!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
ski3 wrote:
It's fine for you with plenty in that skill range, obviously the big stuff there too but you'd have to intentionally target that to get on it.

I've been with very mixed skill groups without problem as there's something for everyone. In "main" ski areas Brevent and Flegere along one side of the valley would be the principal choice (the view across to the more extreme side generally is spectacular from there too) with, as mentioned, la tour and les houches at opposing ends of the valley each having generally accessible more mild terrain.

Don't feel there's anything to worry about and will be great for you to visit. Hope you enjoy the trip.

Amazing - thank you! Eh oh!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
BobinCH wrote:
TheCommish wrote:
Hi All,

Thank you

The on piste stuff is not difficult. You’ll be fine. Enjoy the views and amazing high alpine scenery which is simply stunning, especially from Brevent/Flegere!

Good to know and can’t wait! Thanks for the reply!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
The best advice I can give about Chamonix apart for the answers above is definitely try and get a grip of the buses, their routes and timetables.

Oh and go up the Aiguille du Midi.

But do read up on the buses.

Have I mentioned the buses ?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@TheCommish, I am sure you'll be fine but I presume you've noted that US vs EU gradings are different?

US............................Europe
................................Green - very little gradient, often an access road
Green.........................Easy Blue
Blue...........................Blue -> Easy Red
Sgl Black diamond.........Red -> Easy Black
Dbl Black Diamond........Black

Chamonix is mostly EU blues and reds, although they can tend to be on the slightly tougher ends of each grade. I don't think (I don't pay attention to colours) think there are any blacks that you'd find yourself on by mistake, not that you couldn't easily get back from.

You may notice that the Chamonix areas have rather more of a North American feel to them with a few long runs off each lift. That's my thinking anyway. More beer, however, is consumed.

It's a very fun place.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@TheCommish, I'm not a big off-piste skier (something which Chamonix is renowned for) but in my opinion you need to accept that there are not many long "cruisey" type of runs (never skied Les Houches though so this area might be the exception). The red in Argentiere (Hotel?) is quite long but it is a bit tough.

As others have said, though, the scenery is breathtaking and it is a box ticked for you. If you can, take a trip up the Aiguille du Midi to admire even more spectacular scenery (even if you don't attempt the Vallee Blanche wink ).
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Yes, you can't go to Chamonix without going up the Aiguille du Midi, if there's a clear day when you are there (waste of money otherwise". Not to ski, just take in the breathtaking mountain views. Dress warmly.....
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Would be interested to know what the "Chamonix locals" feel about advising the OP to do the Vallee Blanche. With a guide, of course. The classic route isn't that demanding and the scenery is spectacular. What do you think?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
For a pit stop, this place is nice -elevation1904.com
snow conditions
If you want long but relatively easy runs head to Grand Montets - the return home is 8km (Pierre a Ric). For a bit more challenge juste couple it with Variante de l'Hotel and Blanchots/Pylones (or the area in between).

My only gripe with LGM is that you don't have the wonderful views you'd have from Brevents/Fleigere, or even Le Tour.

That and the lift to the top not being rebuilt yet
latest report
Quote:

Would be interested to know what the "Chamonix locals" feel about advising the OP to do the Vallee Blanche

I'm not a Cham local but would advise anyone with doubts to go up the Aiguille du Midi and watch people descending the arete before committing themselves.
snow report
@patrick!, errr, none of your suggestions will sit happily with a blue run skier!
latest report
Wouldn't a US blue translate to an international easy red? Granted, Variante de l'Hôtel can be daunting depending on snow conditions (it's a black), but Pierre a Ric is just quite long (it's a red). And LGM has proper blue runs too Smile

I'll also admit that my problem with Aiguilles Rouges' South facing runs is that they can turn to soup in the afternoon.
ski holidays
In any case my suggestion would be to try them all, that's the good thing with that valley!
ski holidays
DCG wrote:
Would be interested to know what the "Chamonix locals" feel about advising the OP to do the Vallee Blanche. With a guide, of course. The classic route isn't that demanding and the scenery is spectacular. What do you think?

It’s a long descent. Wouldn’t recommend it to someone nervous about piste skiing as there’s no easy way out if you bottle it.
snow report
Trouble is with some "Chamonix regulars" that their calibration of what is "easy" is way out of line with that of lots of "ordinary skiers". I have enjoyed visiting Chamonix at all times of year, and done some great (and not difficult, if you take a lift up and down) walks in summer, and skied Le Tour, Les Houches and Brevent-Flegere, though not extensively, but always felt that a large proportion of the dudes hanging around there are just way, way, out of my league. I remember riding one lift (can't remember which) and seeing several people just leaping over cliffs beside the lift. And lots of chaps with clanking ironmongery around town. And a couple of climbers who just hoisted themselves up over the observation platform of the Aiguille du Midi, having clearly climbed up. As you do. (And they had to pay for the ride down Laughing ). For an "ordinary skier" it's a stimulating environment but does make you feel inadequate. A couple of days spent in our chalet in Les Houches, after an injury (incurred in the ice rink because the snow was absolutely pants) reading a French account of mountain rescue in Chamonix just accentuated that feeling!
ski holidays
@pam w, no really, it's mellowed massively, we now have a Ralph Lauren shop and three high end cashmere stores!
snow conditions
and the waitresses in the pizza restaurant were in very short skirts and high boots!
ski holidays
Laughing
ski holidays
Spend a day at Le Tour, beautiful views down the valley and mostly blue runs : )

Definitely go up Aiguille Du Midi and then take the gondola across to Italy and back. It's incredible and something everyone should do once. It feels like cheating at mountaineering!
latest report
pam w wrote:
Quote:

Would be interested to know what the "Chamonix locals" feel about advising the OP to do the Vallee Blanche

I'm not a Cham local but would advise anyone with doubts to go up the Aiguille du Midi and watch people descending the arete before committing themselves.

This.
snow report
gad wrote:
The best advice I can give about Chamonix apart for the answers above is definitely try and get a grip of the buses, their routes and timetables.

Oh and go up the Aiguille du Midi.

But do read up on the buses.

Have I mentioned the buses ?

Haha noted Very Happy

Thanks for the reply!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
under a new name wrote:
@TheCommish, I am sure you'll be fine but I presume you've noted that US vs EU gradings are different?

US............................Europe
................................Green - very little gradient, often an access road
Green.........................Easy Blue
Blue...........................Blue -> Easy Red
Sgl Black diamond.........Red -> Easy Black
Dbl Black Diamond........Black

Chamonix is mostly EU blues and reds, although they can tend to be on the slightly tougher ends of each grade. I don't think (I don't pay attention to colours) think there are any blacks that you'd find yourself on by mistake, not that you couldn't easily get back from.

You may notice that the Chamonix areas have rather more of a North American feel to them with a few long runs off each lift. That's my thinking anyway. More beer, however, is consumed.

It's a very fun place.

Huge, thanks for the explanation! Glad to hear.
ski holidays
halfhand wrote:
@TheCommish, I'm not a big off-piste skier (something which Chamonix is renowned for) but in my opinion you need to accept that there are not many long "cruisey" type of runs (never skied Les Houches though so this area might be the exception). The red in Argentiere (Hotel?) is quite long but it is a bit tough.

As others have said, though, the scenery is breathtaking and it is a box ticked for you. If you can, take a trip up the Aiguille du Midi to admire even more spectacular scenery (even if you don't attempt the Vallee Blanche wink ).

Aiguille du Midi looks incredible haha.

Thanks for the reply!
ski holidays
mooney058 wrote:
For a pit stop, this place is nice -elevation1904.com

This looks great - am always look for spots like these.

Thank you!
ski holidays
patrick! wrote:
If you want long but relatively easy runs head to Grand Montets - the return home is 8km (Pierre a Ric). For a bit more challenge juste couple it with Variante de l'Hotel and Blanchots/Pylones (or the area in between).

My only gripe with LGM is that you don't have the wonderful views you'd have from Brevents/Fleigere, or even Le Tour.

That and the lift to the top not being rebuilt yet

Noted - thanks for the reply!
latest report
albertosaurus wrote:
Spend a day at Le Tour, beautiful views down the valley and mostly blue runs : )

Definitely go up Aiguille Du Midi and then take the gondola across to Italy and back. It's incredible and something everyone should do once. It feels like cheating at mountaineering!

Good to know, will try to do this...

Thanks for the reply!
latest report
Dbl Black Diamond runs are more than just a black run. Don't agree that it is as simple as that. I would add that a single black diamond would be a difficult red/ easy black but blacks in europe are also measured by gradient and/ or length so some blacks here have ridiculous gradients and are mostly ice and can be groomed or ungroomed. Double blacks in north America are equivalent to our off-piste 'make your own way down' type thing. Hope that makes sense (haven't had 2nd brekkie yet!)
snow conditions
@Gainz, sort of, My comparison is necessarily a bit generalised , depends where you are.

Whistler/Blackcomb, very good point, Deer Valley, not so much.

And thinking of blacks in Cham, I can't, offhand, think of any that are regularly groomed, and are more akin to "make your own way down" ...
latest report
pam w wrote:
Quote:

I think this probably needs expanding a bit.
There are a number of different routes down the VB, the easiest of which are within the capabilities of intermediates.
However, (1)it is essential to have a guide due to the danger of falling into crevasses and (2) the start, which is a walk along the arrete, is very hairy to say the least. When I did it we were roped up to our guide plus were able to hold fixed guide ropes and walk slowly down steps cut into the snow but there was a very long drop down to the left which would be curtains if you fell. I was terrified! Once past it the ski down was a great experience.
The downside with just going for a look is that it may take a lot of time if there are long queues for the cable car and also if it is taking you away from the area you would otherwise be skiing in. Don't know how much time you've got there and so whether it would be worth it.
So, if you know you can handle heights ok, then you may not need to invest in the recce, but if you are unsure then I would go along with Pam's advice
ski holidays
Even for a nervous blue run skier I'd put them in this order:

1. Vallee Blanche
2. Pierre a Ric at the end of a crowded day
3. The bus system
4. Altitude 2000 restaurant
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy