Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Swiss day 4 to 7 test

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I know there’s a load of threads similar to this, but just want to pick on a specific part here!
We will be driving through France and in to Switzerland at Geneva.
I know we’ll need a PCR within 72 hours for Switzerland, and if we time it right that test can cover both France entry and Swiss entry requirements.
When we went in summer we crossed the Swiss / France border about 8 times and not only were we not stopped (in car with UK plates) they weren’t even manned, but we’re not going to take any chances we’ll still fill everything in and get the PCR.

However on the Swiss site it says you are responsible for notifying the canton of your day 4-7 test and then has a series of links to each canton.
The Geneva page then goes on to say you do NOT need to notify the canton, HOWEVER, if you are checked then you must have evidence you did do the test.

https://www.ge.ch/en/covid-19-travelling-and-entry-switzerland

So basically my reading is you are being trusted to test and then if found positive take all the necessary next steps, if you are unlucky you may get requested to provide your day 4-7 test, but practically I don’t really see how you would have this happen unless you are very unlucky.

Long story short, I’m thinking of taking a UK provided lateral flow fit to fly pack which will give a certificate rather than go and have an in person test done in Geneva (at great expense). If unlucky and get asked to prove the test then rely on the fit to fly cert.

Anyone else looking at a similar route?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
ish303 wrote:
I know there’s a load of threads similar to this, but just want to pick on a specific part here!
We will be driving through France and in to Switzerland at Geneva.
I know we’ll need a PCR within 72 hours for Switzerland, and if we time it right that test can cover both France entry and Swiss entry requirements.
When we went in summer we crossed the Swiss / France border about 8 times and not only were we not stopped (in car with UK plates) they weren’t even manned, but we’re not going to take any chances we’ll still fill everything in and get the PCR.

However on the Swiss site it says you are responsible for notifying the canton of your day 4-7 test and then has a series of links to each canton.
The Geneva page then goes on to say you do NOT need to notify the canton, HOWEVER, if you are checked then you must have evidence you did do the test.

https://www.ge.ch/en/covid-19-travelling-and-entry-switzerland

So basically my reading is you are being trusted to test and then if found positive take all the necessary next steps, if you are unlucky you may get requested to provide your day 4-7 test, but practically I don’t really see how you would have this happen unless you are very unlucky.

Long story short, I’m thinking of taking a UK provided lateral flow fit to fly pack which will give a certificate rather than go and have an in person test done in Geneva (at great expense). If unlucky and get asked to prove the test then rely on the fit to fly cert.

Anyone else looking at a similar route?

Yes! Flying to Geneva on 18th staying for 5 days (4 days skiing). Have thought quite a lot about the 4 - 7 day Swiss test and feel that there are a few ways you could interpret the requirement to do this test. I'm also inclined to take a LFT test with us to do on day 4 anyway which is what we need to fly home. I don't see the need to do a test in a swiss pharmacie, and an LFT to come home (although I guess the swiss test would double up as a test to come home?). We would have a certificate of proof from the LFT so if questioned we would at least be able to prove a negative test.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Does the 4 - 7 day Swiss requirement mean that:

On return to the UK from French ski trip with flights via Geneva,
We have to do the UK '2 Day' test to be released from UK 'isolation',

But do we then have to do another test on day 4 (- 7) to report to the Swiss authorities?

Sorry if I'm being dim / missed other posts on the same question...
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Interesting question, we have been considering very similar points for a trip to Valais. The administration of the "rules" is up to each Canton so it will be interesting to read the opinion of others who have recent experience of travel to Switzerland.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
AS far as I understand it, a self-administered test isn't satisfactory for the Swiss 4-7 day requirement. My interpretation from having a test done in the Valais for return on 1st September was that I needed a certificate from a Swiss pharmacy/hospital. And that using a self-administered test would place me in the same position as if I had ignored the requirement altogether. Of course, whether it would matter is hard to say for certain (driving home, we were not once asked to show any health documentation). But that's my understanding of the rules.

What's said on official FOPH and other pages may not not necessarily be the same as the rules in place in the Canton i.e. the Federal rules may be a subset of the complete rules (like a foreigner visiting Wales may find additional rules to the Gov.UK advice).

I thought that you should be able to get the pharmacy test to double-up as both a Swiss 4-7 day test and an England Return test, by taking it the day before you leave Switzerland. Again, this is only my interpretation of what's been posted elsewhere. I think it comes down to a matter of interpretation and whether you lean towards a your loose interpretation or my strict interpretation. Worst case scenario is that (a) I'm right, (b) you're asked to produce documentation and (c) the official is inclined to take a strict reading of the rules. Who knows what the odds of this are?

And (d) in practical terms, when you visit a pharmacy in, say Verbier, what you come away with is a paper certificate with a QR code on it and an email with the PDF version. For the purposes of verification, you're assuming that the encryption, format and content of the UK self-administered test will be the same as that of the Swiss certificate you'll get from a Swiss pharmacy. I'd be quite surprised if this is the case, but I daresay it's possible. If it isn't the same, then your QR will fail a scan by a Swiss official. So that's another unknown level of risk.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Fri 10-12-21 13:23; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
We plan to use the Swiss 4-7 day test as the England return test.

However, when we get home...

We will then need to do the (pre-booked) UK 'day 2' test

Will we then also need to do another Swiss 4 - 7 day test as we will have transited through Switzerland to fly back to the UK.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We are taking our day 4-7 test on day 6 in Verbier and that will be used to get on the Geneva flight the next day. We did the same thing in Sep & Oct and the Swiss pharmacy printout QR code was accepted by check in and passport control at Geneva for boarding a flight to the UK. Each canton appears to have different reporting requirements for the day 4-7 test however.

Your UK passenger locator form (checked at Geneva airport and then online by passport control upon entry to the UK in our experience) requires the details of your pre-booked UK return day 0-2 test.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@LaForet, A very well thought out view! If we were flying I would probably have a different view, but driving we have crossed the border loads of times and they are never manned.

I may do more research on pharmacies around Geneva, but to be honest the websites are so bad that simply trying to find out how much it would cost is a pain in the …

It will be Sod’s law that the one time we take a risk we’ll get busted, but I’m about 98% sure we’ll drive in and out (numerous times as we will be in and out of France a fair amount) and never see anyone, it’s just that 2%….
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I think the position on those driving into Switzerland across from France (to catch a flight back from GVA to the UK) is that they are exempt both from completing the Swiss PLF but also from any Swiss testing - the BAG website does specify this. At check in at GVA airport you will need a test which complies with UK entry requirements ie a PCR or supervised LFT.

For anyone skiing in Valais:
- The Canton has confirmed in writing (in response to my query) that a remote test is not accepted for the Day 4 to 7 test. That test must be either a PCR or LFT carried out at a Swiss pharmacy, medical centre or test centre
- In Grimentz/ZInal each tourist office will be equipped to do saliva based PCR tests (results next day) for those needing to obtain a Day 4 to 7 test
- rental agents have been told that they must ask for proof of that test having been booked when handing out keys (I think this is unlikely to be followed through)
- As I mentioned elsewhere I think it unlikely that the Cantons will have the manpower or will to chase skiers who visit for 7 days and leave without having done their test. A peculiarity of Switzerland is that it is very Cantonal. So Cantons may differ.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
This may help for pharmacies in Geneva.
https://www.ge.ch/covid-19-se-faire-tester/faire-test-covid-19
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Renauddusud, Thanks..
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Interesting statement here at point 3 ie Day 4 to 7 test only needed if stay more than 6 nights: https://www.myswitzerland.com/en-ch/planning/transport-accommodation/travel-to-switzerland/where-and-when-is-what-open/
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Great news thank you
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy