Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Latest News scuppers France ski trip for me!

Poster: A snowHead
The news that UK will now require pre-departure testing before return to UK is the final straw for me Sad

I won’t risk catching Covid in France and having to quarantine over there and miss Christmas/New Year in the UK.

Especially because if a negative PCR test is required before entry into the UK is allowed, this make take many weeks since PCR tests can still show positive for weeks after the infection has cleared. Sad
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It's not a PCR that's required.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
belette wrote:
It's not a PCR that's required.

Are you sure? I have not yet seen any details posted yet, but if the Government only recently changed the previous Day 2 test from Lateral Flow to PCR, because it can identify which Covid variant is evident in a Positive test, I can’t believe they would now only want a Lateral Flow for pre-departure testing. Puzzled
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Reported in the BBC: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-59534685
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Mr Marmot, the point of pre departure test is not letting any carriers in no matter what variant.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
belette wrote:
Reported in the BBC: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-59534685

Yes, belette, that confirms that a LF test is acceptable. Sounds good. However, the problem is once you test positive with a Lateral Flow test my experience is that the authorities then ask you to take a PCR test to ‘confirm’ it. At this point you are in a situation where further PCR testing may still show a ‘false’ positive some weeks later. Does this mean you can be stuck overseas not being able to show a negative result to get back into the UK for some weeks? Or will they let ‘infected’ citizens back into the UK to isolate in some way?

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Sat 4-12-21 20:47; edited 4 times in total
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Oleski wrote:
@Mr Marmot, the point of pre departure test is not letting any carriers in no matter what variant.

Yes, you would think so. So will they demand infected UK citizens remain in France until they test negative? If so, it might take weeks.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Sat 4-12-21 20:20; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Let’s hope the 10day quarantine is not brought back. That would scupper it for most of us I think.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Rookiescot wrote:
Let’s hope the 10day quarantine is not brought back. That would scupper it for most of us I think.

I have a feeling that “test to release on day 5” is in our futures.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Mr Marmot wrote:
The news that UK will now require pre-departure testing before return to UK is the final straw for me Sad

I won’t risk catching Covid in France and having to quarantine over there and miss Christmas/New Year in the UK.

Especially because if a negative PCR test is required before entry into the UK is allowed, this make take many weeks since PCR tests can still show positive for weeks after the infection has cleared. Sad

Sorry to hear that Mr M, but totally understandable.

Shapps says one thing one day then the trustworthy government do another thing the following day.

It's become a p155take of the highest order. Shocked

I'm assuming we now need to do this test AND a day 2 test in the UK.

When is a vaccine not a vaccine? Why don't they just go for the full monty and make us all test every day ad infinitum? Puzzled Puzzled
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Bergmeister wrote:
Mr Marmot wrote:

Sorry to hear that Mr M, but totally understandable.

Shapps says one thing one day then the trustworthy government do another thing the following day.

It's become a p155take of the highest order. Shocked

I'm assuming we now need to do this test AND a day 2 test in the UK.

When is a vaccine not a vaccine? Why don't they just go for the full monty and make us all test every day ad infinitum? Puzzled Puzzled

Yes, Mr B M, it is all very annoying especially as they say in one report that the variant is almost certainly not a major problem with only a few hospitalisations etc to date, but then they suddenly escalate lockdowns.

Surely there must be something they are not telling us for them to panic this much. Shocked Skullie

Yes, It seems that the Day 2 PCR test is still also required.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
From the numbers currently infected, you're more likely to catch it, if you stay in England...

Why, then, all the tests for travelling to and from France, when there are no tests if I travel to London, for example, where I am more likely to catch it?

Am I missing something??!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I've also decided to pull the plug. Just too much potential hassle. Was looking forward to Les Arcs next week!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Ricky B,
Don’t think you have missed anything just governments lack of any iota of common sense
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I'm thinking the same, too much risk of missing my little boys 2nd Christmas.
My local hills looking white tonight might investigate with some old skis tomo.
snow conditions
I have to say we are wondering whether things will go ahead, with requirements seemingly changing every couple of days. At the moment everything we have booked is either moveable or refundable.

Does anyone know whether the test companies will supply certificates on bank holidays (thinking Christmas/Boxing Day/New Years Day)? And whether an arrival from France will be accepted for a stay in a UK hotel on arrival?
latest report
Tony111 wrote:
@Ricky B,
Don’t think you have missed anything just governments lack of any iota of common sense

I couldn't agree more!
snow conditions
We're on the brink of pulling it too. We can cope with a Day 2 test and quarantine and WFH for a couple of days, but if there's additional testing comes in we can't as hubby has an exam to sit.
snow conditions
I’ve decided to pull my cheeky 3 day pre Christmas slide, it was just me & we’re back over on Boxing Day with family anyway, so not worth the hassle, risk & cost
latest report
I think even if some people can do the extra requirements if they want to, they’ve got the time and the money, all the changing of stuff/additions/subtractions every couple of days (every morning I wake up and wonder ‘what’s it going to be today?’) puts some people off as they simply can’t be arsed with it!
snow report
@Mr Marmot I think yours is the mature and objective response. Yes, it's hugely disappointing and frustrating, and for families with children in school and college, comes on top of a big negative impact on their education and social wellbeing. Let alone any impact of actually going down with a severe infection or Long Covid.

But some other people on other threads seem to be working themselves up into a real state by describing it (the threat to their holiday) as 'a catastrophe' and the like. Which is counter-productive to my mind: you can't invest that much expectation into a single holiday: there are other things that are far more important. For the second year running, we're not going to get out for our pre-Christmas long weekend and three weeks in Jan-Feb, which is a real shame. And our now older children aren't going to get our for their short trips to our place either.

But I think that most parents will do a great job of making something very positive for their families out of the enforced week at home, however initially disappointing a cancellation may be.

[Returning to the thread, on re-reading, my post sounds a bit patronising. Apologies if so. What I'm really trying to say, diplomatically, is that some posters on other threads need to get this in perspective, if only for their own emotional equilibrium.]

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Sun 5-12-21 13:10; edited 3 times in total
snow report
and the costs of testing for 4 people is eating into the beer money quite rapidly.
latest report
@LaForet,
Quote:

What I'm really trying to say, diplomatically, is that some posters on other threads need to get this in perspective, if only for their own emotional equilibrium

I do wonder how the 95% of British people who have never been skiing have managed to cope all these years without this, vital for their well-being, experience.
snow report
@LaForet and @CV, the issue is also that people have invested a lot of time, as well as money, into their ski holiday. They always seem to take a bit more planning than a holiday on a Mediterranean beach.
Added to this there has now been the extra planning for tests, certificates, statements of honour and health passes etc.
Now we have all experienced a week, or so, of various unexpected changes and updates etc., many of which are unclear, and it has been the final straw for many. The stress makes many of us irritated and maybe even a bit irrational.
My greatest annoyance is that the reports of the effect of the variant to date don’t seem to justify the extent of the changes in restrictions.
I wonder if I still feel the same way in a month’s time?
ski holidays
We took the difficult decision of cancelling our Christmas trip to the UK to see family, as we have to get negative tests before returning to France which put too big a risk of not getting back in time for school etc. Things have changed so much over the last week or so, and who knows what will come over the next few days...
snow report
Mr Marmot wrote:
@LaForet and @CV, the issue is also that people have invested a lot of time, as well as money, into their ski holiday. They always seem to take a bit more planning than a holiday on a Mediterranean beach.
Added to this there has now been the extra planning for tests, certificates, statements of honour and health passes etc.
Now we have all experienced a week, or so, of various unexpected changes and updates etc., many of which are unclear, and it has been the final straw for many. The stress makes many of us irritated and maybe even a bit irrational.
My greatest annoyance is that the reports of the effect of the variant to date don’t seem to justify the extent of the changes in restrictions.
I wonder if I still feel the same way in a month’s time?

I also think there is a difference in perspective between someone (like LaForet) who it sounds as if is able to go on several skiing trips every season, and others who only have 1 week per year to look forward to.

I'm planning on 3 trips this year. Once with my mate (Jan), once with the family (Feb) and a last one with my brother (Mar). My kids will be absolutely devastated if their single trip is cancelled. I will obviously be gutted too (from losing yet another opportunity to make family memories), but am likely to get at least one skiing trip this year.
snow report
@Timmycb5, +1. Lots of people on this forum are lucky enough to own a place in the Alps, and/or are (semi) retired so can spend weeks out there every year. The latter might also be why they are also quite supportive of Covid restrictions for such an age-discriminating infection....
The rest of us on a week (or 2) a year. My two daughters have had a really cr@p couple of years and are more than due a break-in more ways than one. Yet, as soon as it comes within reach, it keeps being taken away.
ski holidays
Certainly, I agree with the observations, and if we were back in teenage family mode with us both working the whole thing would be depressing - at a minimum. I was more reacting to someone elsewhere who said it was 'a catastrophe' and thinking to myself that it's not healthy to invest so much emotional capital in a holiday, in the middle of a pandemic, when the odds are 50:50 it will go ahead. And I wonder if we aren't all going to have to adjust - at least for another 12-18 months - to foreign travel being a bit of a lottery. As an older person, I appreciate all the sacrifices that everyone has made, especially young people. And I share the frustration that with better execution, we could be emerging much quicker from this than we are. What I'm taking away from the current situation is the big risk that at the end of a holiday, a positive pre-return test might mean a whole family has to find accommodation and quarantine, with all the cost, emotional and logistics implications that involves. Even 'though there are now only the two of us, I'm not sure that even for us, that will be a risk worth taking if things in January are as they are now.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

@LaForet and @CV, the issue is also that people have invested a lot of time, as well as money, into their ski holiday

Without wanting to out-whinge other people (because I'm not whinging, I accept that the situation is f_d up and have moved on), I've "invested" about £400k in a place in France that has been unused for the past two years and we're unlikely to be able to use this winter because none of us are willing to put up with the hassle of all this testing/possible quarantine etc.

There are plenty of other ways to have fun besides skiing and if my "mental well-being after a horrendous couple of years" depended on a ski holiday then I'd be better off trying to sort out the root causes of that rather than trying to fake a QR code, spending hours searching for the cheapest test provider etc etc that seems to occupy so much time of some people here.
ski holidays
CV wrote:
Quote:

@LaForet and @CV, the issue is also that people have invested a lot of time, as well as money, into their ski holiday

Without wanting to out-whinge other people (because I'm not whinging, I accept that the situation is f_d up and have moved on), I've "invested" about £400k in a place in France that has been unused for the past two years and we're unlikely to be able to use this winter because none of us are willing to put up with the hassle of all this testing/possible quarantine etc.

There are plenty of other ways to have fun besides skiing and if my "mental well-being after a horrendous couple of years" depended on a ski holiday then I'd be better off trying to sort out the root causes of that rather than trying to fake a QR code, spending hours searching for the cheapest test provider etc etc that seems to occupy so much time of some people here.

The "root cause" of many of us being cheesed off (or adversely affected mentally) isn't the lack of skiing, per se, but the lack of normality that has prevailed for nearly 2 years. I'm passionate about a lot of things and skiing is up there with them.

Being on the slopes in France last week "after a horrendous couple of years" certainly made me realise what I had missed - and most certainly gave me the feelgood factor. Even 5 days of skiing in whiteout or blizzard conditions was just fantastic! Very Happy I do enjoy a lot of other things in life - including hiking, mountain biking, football and cricket (all of which I have continued to enjoy during the pandemic, to a lesser or greater extent) - but making my skiing comeback definitely gave me an added spring in my step. Very Happy Very Happy

Skiing is a big part of who I am. I'm not a Snowhead for nothing, you know! wink Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Bergmeister wrote:
CV wrote:
Quote:

The "root cause" of many of us being cheesed off (or adversely affected mentally) isn't the lack of skiing, per se, but the lack of normality that has prevailed for nearly 2 years. I'm passionate about a lot of things and skiing is up there with them.

Being on the slopes in France last week "after a horrendous couple of years" certainly made me realise what I had missed - and most certainly gave me the feelgood factor. Even 5 days of skiing in whiteout or blizzard conditions was just fantastic! Very Happy I do enjoy a lot of other things in life - including hiking, mountain biking, football and cricket (all of which I have continued to enjoy during the pandemic, to a lesser or greater extent - Covid permitting) - but making my skiing comeback definitely gave me an added spring in my step. Very Happy Very Happy

Skiing is a big part of who I am. I'm not a Snowhead for nothing, you know! wink Toofy Grin
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy