Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Total Ski Chalet Hotel - Any Feedback?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,
I'm considering booking with Total Ski at one of their chalet hotels. Does anyone have recent experience of this company or their chalet hotel set up? Not decided the resort yet so any feedback appreciated.
Thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I have not used them but a good friend has been going with them for years, to various resorts. Needless to say he reckons they are the mutt's nuts! Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
fraserp, Gray and I were in Val D with them Christmas before last. Accommodation was good, staff were excellent (especially when Gray ended up in a leg brace for most of the week), but the chef needed to be shot wink Would we go back to them? Unfortunately, based upon the experience of the food - probably not.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
[quote="fraserp"] I stayed with my two sons at Ski Totals's Chalet Kamanga in Zermatt before Christmas. I would certainly consider going with Ski Total again. The chalet was good and kept really clean, the organisation all round was professional and friendly and the Zermatt rep was very knowledgable about Zermatt, the area and the conditions. The food was quite good, typical chalet food, though in our case the main courses tended to be the weak spots (my sons complained about the size of the meat servings!) - as always in a chalet, what you get depends on the cook you have!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We stopped with Esprit Ski in January which is essentially the same company and I would agree that the food was the weak spot of otherwise an excellent package, they seem to run from a stnadard set of menus and some of it was over fancy for the actual delivery of what came and I would agree withnlinesw4, that the meat serving was sometimes a little on the scant side. Would I go back again, yes I think so the rest of package more than made up for it.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
We stayed in Chalet Cascades in Courchevel 1650 in March with Total. Chalet was pretty standard - rooms small, but perfectly comfy for the little time spent in them, dining/living area was rather "rustic" but personally that doesn't bother me. We were very lucky - had a French chef so no complaints on the food and they offered some nice alternatives to meat dishes. The only down side was a shortage of hot water (not that we experienced it personally but heard plenty about it from other guests!). The best points were the location (directly opposite the main lift, Ariondaz gondola) and the great airport transfer. Might sound an odd thing to rave about but we were delayed 3 hrs on the way due to snow at Edinburgh (!!) and expected disorganised chaos from then on as a result. Nonetheless, we got straight off the plane in Geneva, directly onto a coach and were in resort 2.5 hours later. Beat certain other TO's supposed "transfer day organisation" hands down in my experience!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
skismurf75, Welcome to snowheads. Is that where they were dancing in the streets of Raith once?

I went with Total to Les Arcs a few years ago. Just fine. No problems at all.

snowHead
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Chris Bish,

Quote:

Is that where they were dancing in the streets of Raith once?

Not a native of Cumbernauld I'm afraid so no idea. However, I wouldn't risk my safety by dancing in the streets here these days Little Angel
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Chris Bish,

I think dancing on the streets of Raith came from an English broadcaster when Raith Rovers won whatever the Scottish League cup was called when they won it. There is no town of Raith they play in the home town of the ever cheerful Chancellor of the Exchequer, Kirkcaldy.

Cumbernauld is an idyllic New town nestling in the foothills of the Kilsyth hills between Glasgow and Stirling. With an architecturally venerated nouveau seventies shopping centre it was the setting of the film Gregory's Girl for those who remember it. snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
T Bar wrote:

[Cumbernauld is an idyllic New town nestling in the foothills of the Kilsyth hills between Glasgow and Stirling. With an architecturally venerated nouveau seventies shopping centre it was the setting of the film Gregory's Girl for those who remember it. snowHead snowHead

Out of interest, have you ever been to Cumbernauld? I only ask because I laughed my socks off when I read your description. Laughing

Did you see the recent Ch4 series on the ugliest towns in the UK? I didn't but know C'nauld featured. There's even a book on a similar thread in my local Tesco's which has C'nauld as no 1 ugliest place to live!! Toofy Grin
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
T Bar wrote:

[Cumbernauld is an idyllic New town nestling in the foothills of the Kilsyth hills between Glasgow and Stirling. With an architecturally venerated nouveau seventies shopping centre it was the setting of the film Gregory's Girl for those who remember it. snowHead snowHead

Out of interest, have you ever been to Cumbernauld? I only ask because I laughed my socks off when I read your description. Laughing

Did you see the recent Ch4 series on the ugliest towns in the UK? I didn't but know C'nauld featured. There's even a book on a similar thread in my local Tesco's which has C'nauld as no 1 ugliest place to live!! Toofy Grin
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
fraserp, Used a Total chalet/hotel type thing for 2 weeks in Arc 2000 this year. Generally pretty good. The rep was very helpful indeed and the chalet staff were good too. Food was good and the chalet itself was quite comfortable. I'd use them again.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
skismurf75,
Quote:

Out of interest, have you ever been to Cumbernauld?

I went years ago and always bypassed it since, havent seen the TV series but it doesn't sound as if there have been any great improvements since my visit. It does have the only Ballesteros designed golf course in Scotland though. Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I was getting mixed up between Cumbernauld and Kirkaldy. On the other hand, don't the newly re-constituted Airdrie play in Cumbernauld?

So, Dancing in the streets of Airdrie becomes a possibility...
snowHead
ski holidays
 brian
brian
Chris Bish, no, the newly reconstituted Airdrie, Airdrie United (as opposed to the old Airdrieonians) play in Airdrie.

Clyde play in (or near anyway, Broadwood might be nearer Croy ??) Cumbernauld, nowhere near the Clyde, although their old ground in Glasgow was near the river.

btw, at the risk of being a pedantic b'stard, the "dancing in the streets" comment was originally made in the 60s by David Coleman, reading the results off the teleprinter. I think they had just been promoted. It was recycled by almost everyone when they won the League Cup (Coca Cola cup at the time I think) in 1994, beating Celtic on penalties in the final Laughing
snow report
Cumbernauld is the biggest dump around- the shopping centre looks like someone constructed it out of stickle bricks! all pokey out bits and walkways! Nastiness! Bloody good 24hr Tesco though!
latest report
Thinking of booking into the Chalet Kamanga for next season. This is a chalet with Total Ski. Any recent experience of either the chalet or company would be appreciated.
ski holidays
If Ski Olympic are around the same price (and a suitable resort) then go with them.

If you are looking at a quiet January week then you will have no problem picking up a great late deal, even for 4.
snow conditions
We have been with Ski Total 3 times. The first two times were excellent and I couldn't recommend them enough. Unfotunately we were let down a bit this year. The chalet was cramped with very low ceilings in the upstairs bedrooms. The food quality had gone downhill and the return time for the coach back to the airport was just a farce! I wouldn't say it was a bad experience, it's just that we expected more based on previous trips.
All in all I would still recommend them, though we are going DIY next year wink
ski holidays
Jan

I suppose it just goes to prove it is the chalet host you end up with rather than the company.

I am still interested in hearing if anybody has stayed or knows somebody who has stayed in the Kamanga Chalet and what it was like.

Thanks
ski holidays
cham08, there's a report about it in this thread.....
ski holidays
Thanks for that Pam only 2006 isn't really a recent experience.
snow report
skismurf75 wrote:
We stayed in Chalet Cascades in Courchevel 1650 in March with Total. Chalet was pretty standard - rooms small, but perfectly comfy for the little time spent in them, dining/living area was rather "rustic" but personally that doesn't bother me. We were very lucky - had a French chef so no complaints on the food and they offered some nice alternatives to meat dishes. The only down side was a shortage of hot water (not that we experienced it personally but heard plenty about it from other guests!). The best points were the location (directly opposite the main lift, Ariondaz gondola) and the great airport transfer. Might sound an odd thing to rave about but we were delayed 3 hrs on the way due to snow at Edinburgh (!!) and expected disorganised chaos from then on as a result. Nonetheless, we got straight off the plane in Geneva, directly onto a coach and were in resort 2.5 hours later. Beat certain other TO's supposed "transfer day organisation" hands down in my experience!

Friend worked in chalet cascades for ski total last season!
snow report
Quote:

Hi,
I'm considering booking with Total Ski at one of their chalet hotels. Does anyone have recent experience of this company or their chalet hotel set up? Not decided the resort yet so any feedback appreciated.
Thanks

I've been to the Coq de Bruyere in Courchevel twice and Champs Avalins in La Daille, Val D'Isere twice. I organise quite a large group once a year and find it hard to beat Total's prices. Price is my priority coupled with location - we don't like walking too far or catching buses every day and it has to be a large area. Both these chalet hotels are brilliantly located in world class resorts. Before I booked the Coq I had read some bad reviews about some of the rooms so when I made the reservation I asked for all the larger rooms which come at a slight supplement but make the stay so much nicer as the smaller rooms are cramped. The Coq could do with an upgrade but is incredibly cheap for Val D'Isere. Total serve cocktails and canapes before dinner and are generous with wine at dinner. They also have free tea and coffee on tap all the time. This all goes to help with the overall cost of the holiday. Cocktails may just mean a smigen of something in white wine but I'm not a fussy person. I know there is better accommodation out there but cost wise it is hard to beat if you book early and get group discounts etc. or take advantage of their short notice prices during the season. Last season I had 30 people in the Coq and they were all very happy but then they were happy at the Champs for the price we paid. Let me know if you need any further info. There's a wealth of info on this site which may have accommodation that would suit your group better - I scanned the site before I booked this year but still decided on Total - Arc 2000.
snow conditions
looking at taking a group to champs in val in jan.......any top tips? how are the transfers-do they like to wait around for lots of flights??

also heard meal times are "flexible" what does this mean? can you change during the week and most importantly can the whole group eat together?
ski holidays
Worst Ski Holiday Imaginable, with Ski Total (Esprit Ski) and Chalet Matterhorn, Meribel.

Myself and 8 friends were unlucky enough to book and stay with Ski Total over the New Year period 2010/11. Every single facet of the holiday was a disorganised, uncomfortable, mess. Having stayed in ski chalets before, we know that our expectations were not unreasonable.

Ski Total have been completely unrepentant regarding the performance of their staff, and we have received no satisfactory apology, or any offer of compensation for our horrible trip.

A list of just some of the issues at this chalet

Hot-Tub Hygiene Issues and Rashes:
- A large portion of those who used the hot tub in the first day (before the tub was subsequently cleaned) broke out with various types of rashes. Some with large painful boil-type sores all over the body – others with large areas of small bumps.
- Specifically, by my count, 5-7 people in the Chalet caught rashes from the hot-tub, mostly on the first day, in the first hour of usage by the Chalet group in the week.
- The doctor stated that the rashes were from the poor hygiene conditions in the spa.

General (complete disorganisation)
- snowboard and ski lessons had not been correctly booked, and so the first day was wasted. We were left to arrange our own instructor privately because no more official instructors were available
- our return flights had not been booked by the company. We spent around 30 minutes at check in having to convince the airline staff to put us manually into the system. At no point did any of the ski total staff try to help, despite being told of the problem at the time.
- Despite us providing prior notice that one of the party was vegetarian, this info had not been passed on to the chalet, so the first night there was no appropriate food available.

Chalet (too small, and low quality)
- The Matterhorn Chalet in Meribel in which we stayed, was not fit for the number of people that were staying there (14 adults, 2 children). I would say max occupancy should be 5 to 7 adults, for a comfortable stay (size-wise).
- Lounge seats only 5 people comfortably.
- Constantly dirty dishes
- The kitchen area was insufficient and in a state of disrepair.
- They advertise the Chalet as having a comfortable and attractive open-plan area; something that not even the Resort staff attempted to defend at the time. Specifically, one staff member told us explicitly that we were in the worst Ski Total chalet in Meribel, which clearly didn’t have sufficient space for 16.

Chalet Staff/Service (service seriously lacking)
- The chalet was understaffed. We were told that 2 staff had walked out the previous week, and only one replacement had been sourced, from a different role in Meribel. As a result, when we arrived 3 hours late, the Chalet was still not ready.
- Food was often served very late in the evening, with people sometimes heading to bed rather than wait for the later courses to be served. Generally not enough food available (e.g. one day there were 4 croissants for 15 people)
- No toilet paper in the house by half way through the week. Even when we requested it, we had to wait 24 hours to have it replaced. Had to go into other people’s rooms to borrow the last remaining sheets.
- First morning, had to wait outside for 30 mins for a transfer bus to show up (despite the fact that this would have meant we would have been late for lessons, had they been booked correctly). No-one from Ski Total seemed to be aware that there was no driver serving our side of town. Completely disorganised, no-one appeared to be in charge of Ski Total for the resort most of the time.
- Room servicing was basically non-existent. Had to clean out shower drain on arrival due to the amount of hair. Heard of other rooms having to do the same. Absolutely disgusting.
Sad
ski holidays
paulstewart97, Reinforces my vow NEVER to set foot in a hot tub, especially with a bunch of strangers. Thanks for the heads up!

ps You're a bit late with your complaint, aren't you? Very Happy
ski holidays
FraserP, Which resort?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
genepi wrote:
FraserP, Which resort?
My question was from back in 2006! Not really relevent any more. I did actually stay in CV1850 at the Chalet Hotel Coq De Bruyere. Thread was reactivated by someone else.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy