Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Rapid PCR tests not suitable for Day 2 Arrivals

Poster: A snowHead
If anyone is considering booking a Rapid PCR test (which have a 3-hour turnaround) via one of the testing centres located at airports, please note that these are not suitable for the UK's new 2-Day Test and Quarantine requirement when you arrive in the UK from other countries. I spotted this on the Head for Points travel website, and had the same point confirmed on the Collision's covid testing website.

This is a pain if anyone was relying on one of these very quick PCR tests to release them from their quarantine requirements when returning/travelling to the UK. I believe that testing providers like Collinson still offer PCR testing centres that will provide a PCR result by the end of the day which do meet the UK government's standard, but not a rapid 3-hour test.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I was (3hr) but now won’t be. Assuming we do get away of course. Thanks for the heads up. What a PITA. I actually don’t mind getting tested on return but would appreciate not having to rely on Snowheads to keep me on tne straight and narrow. You are not paid enough!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rob@rar wrote:
If anyone is considering booking a Rapid PCR test (which have a 3-hour turnaround) via one of the testing centres located at airports, please note that these are not suitable for the UK's new 2-Day Test and Quarantine requirement when you arrive in the UK from other countries. I spotted this on the Head for Points travel website, and had the same point confirmed on the Collision's covid testing website.

This is a pain if anyone was relying on one of these very quick PCR tests to release them from their quarantine requirements when returning/travelling to the UK. I believe that testing providers like Collinson still offer PCR testing centres that will provide a PCR result by the end of the day which do meet the UK government's standard, but not a rapid 3-hour test.

I understand it is because the sample from the PCR test is also being used to detect the precise variant of Covid and thus provide evidence of the actual rate of infection of Omicron. I’m guessing the ‘ Rapid PCR’ facilities that you mention cannot do this and are thus considered to not be suitable.

It actually surprises me that France is only asking for a LF test for the reason above. Maybe they don’t need the same information?

The ‘quarantine’ required until a negative result is received doesn’t sound too onerous to me. You are allowed to travel home and isolate there etc.

If you take a suitable Day 2 PCR test available immediately you arrive in the UK, even after it being sent off to the laboratory, it might take less than 24 hours before the test result is received. Obviously not as good as just 3 hours but maybe not too bad.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Mr Marmot wrote:
I understand it is because the sample from the PCR test is also being used to detect the precise variant of Covid and thus provide evidence of the actual rate of infection of Omicron. I’m guessing the ‘ Rapid PCR’ facilities that you mention cannot do this and are thus considered to not be suitable.
Yes, that seems to be the stated reason, but it doesn't make much sense to me. The first priority is to determine a positive or negative test result - if you are negative, you are released from quarantine; if you are positive you stay in self isolation following the usual UK rules when you test positive. If the problem with those 3-hour rapid PCR tests is that they aren't able to determine the S-Gene Target Failure (which is a proxy measure for Omicron, short of a full gene sequencing) then the same problem applies to about half the UK's capacity for PCR testing through the large commercial testing sites.

Mr Marmot wrote:
It actually surprises me that France is only asking for a LF test for the reason above. Maybe they don’t need the same information?
I think this is a reasonable compromise if all you are looking for is a test which says whether you are positive or negative. The lateral flow tests are reasonably accurate for viral loads high enough to make the infected person contagious, and if this is the result you are not allowed to travel. At that point the French authorities don't really care whether you have a Delta or Omicron infection (currently it is overwhelmingly likely to be Delta).
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I have a same-day results (if tested before 3pm or something) day 2 test booked with these guys: www.theregenerativeclinic.co.uk - I haven't used them before so can't give too firm a recommendation, but they might be worth a look for those who need a quick result.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
suec wrote:
I actually don’t mind getting tested on return but would appreciate not having to rely on Snowheads to keep me on tne straight and narrow. You are not paid enough!

+1
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
PaulO78 wrote:
I have a same-day results (if tested before 3pm or something) day 2 test booked with these guys: www.theregenerativeclinic.co.uk - I haven't used them before so can't give too firm a recommendation, but they might be worth a look for those who need a quick result.
That's a good example. They offer a 3-hour Rapid Test which doesn't appear to meet the government's criteria for Day-2 Arrivals, and a Same-Day Test which does appear to meet the government's criteria for Day-2 Arrivals.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
There's now a provider that does a 3-5hr test that it claims is approved for day 2, and only £59 at LHR.

https://www.haloverify.com/heathrow-t5/

This article in business traveller is kept very up-to-date:
https://www.businesstraveller.com/features/how-to-get-a-day-2-pcr-test-at-heathrow-airport/
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
This useful thread almost had me reaching to book something, but I'm not going to France till shortly before Christmas and by then it'll probably be all changed anyway, so I shall hang on. But it would be good if this thread could stick to this specific topic, which will be of interest to loads of people.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@snowdave, thanks for those links.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The shambles continues.

Is anyone else beginning to feel worn down by all of this? Puzzled
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
snowdave wrote:
There's now a provider that does a 3-5hr test that it claims is approved for day 2, and only £59 at LHR.

Thanks for that, very helpful!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
snowdave wrote:

So now just need them to set up same thing at this end of the tunnel and then I will have the result by the time I get home.

Will know whether to get up next morning for work or not. rolling eyes
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mr Marmot wrote:
rob@rar wrote:

The ‘quarantine’ required until a negative result is received doesn’t sound too onerous to me. You are allowed to travel home and isolate there etc.

If you take a suitable Day 2 PCR test available immediately you arrive in the UK, even after it being sent off to the laboratory, it might take less than 24 hours before the test result is received. Obviously not as good as just 3 hours but maybe not too bad.

I think France are taking a pragmatic approach.

New variant = potential risk of vaccine immunity and rising cases

Until that potential is proven (if it is proven) then why go the full monty?

Think back to the newspaper headlines re the Delta variant and its potential to be vaccine resistent. It was a storm in a teacup.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The tests are used in different ways.

For France, the LFT is "do you have any COVID at all? if so, no entry".

For the UK, the test is "you're already here, have you brought a dangerous variant in?".

If you're blocking "all COVID" then no need to worry about PCR and variants. What the UK is trying to do is just screen out the variant(s), and allow "normal" COVID in.
snow report
skitow wrote:
snowdave wrote:

So now just need them to set up same thing at this end of the tunnel and then I will have the result by the time I get home.

Will know whether to get up next morning for work or not. rolling eyes
That would be nice, not least because their testing centre at Heathrow is a pain to get to unless you land at Terminal 5. A number of the other test providers at Heathrow have setup in hotels near the airport, offering free and convenient parking. But to get to the HALO test centre you'd have to drive to T5 short-term parking, paying the LHR Access Fee for cars plus the cost of parking then walk to the Sofitel to spit in a tube.
latest report
@Bergmeister,
Quote:

The shambles continues.

Is anyone else beginning to feel worn down by all of this?

..... It's worth it when you get out there

We went through slightly less onerous regs. for our trip to Austria 2 weeks ago - seemed like jumping through hoops etc & some of the rules didn't quite apply (German entry DEA when transit through to Austria), but everything worked like clockwork and the skiing was brill Toofy Grin
snow report
Need one at Stansted too!
latest report
@snowdave, which seems a bit pointless to me ...
snow report
snowdave wrote:

https://www.businesstraveller.com/features/how-to-get-a-day-2-pcr-test-at-heathrow-airport/

Some colleagues from the US took that test this morning, all very straightforward. Now at their hotel in town and just got the results through in 2.5 hours!
latest report
narbs wrote:
snowdave wrote:

Some colleagues from the US took that test this morning, all very straightforward. Now at their hotel in town and just got the results through in 2.5 hours!

Is it definitely government approved for day 2? I can’t see them on the list.

I arrive at 6.30am and have Arsenal tickets at 3pm rolling eyes
snow report
snowdave wrote:

…………If you're blocking "all COVID" then no need to worry about PCR and variants. What the UK is trying to do is just screen out the variant(s), and allow "normal" COVID in.

I find that a funny way of looking at it, snowdave, but you are probably right!

The UK, quite rightly in my opinion, was ‘on top’ of Covid in as much that we no longer had many restrictions just a couple of weeks ago and our health system was nowhere near overwhelmed. Almost everything was open and the economy was booming! There was no fear of the “normal” COVID! I suppose once France catches up with the UK they could do the same.

Obviously, the Omicron is a new kid in town, and I guess the UK wants to monitor the extent of its spread in case it becomes anything more than the insignificant variant that many medical experts etc. are now describing it to be. Whereas France, understandably, with all their other restrictions, hope to stop it even entering the country.

It will be interesting to see how things work out.
snow conditions
Rhoobarb wrote:
narbs wrote:
snowdave wrote:

Their website says 'HALO PCR Tests are approved by the UK Government for Day 2 arrival testing. These tests can be taken immediately on arrival in the UK. Head to the HALO desk at the Sofitel Heathrow Terminal 5'.

They added the test numbers to their locator form and they were accepted so it looks ok.
ski holidays
narbs wrote:
Rhoobarb wrote:
narbs wrote:
snowdave wrote:

Their website says 'HALO PCR Tests are approved by the UK Government for Day 2 arrival testing. These tests can be taken immediately on arrival in the UK. Head to the HALO desk at the Sofitel Heathrow Terminal 5'.

They added the test numbers to their locator form and they were accepted so it looks ok.

Interesting. Only the test at home kits are mentioned on .gov. All a farce anyway, we’ll have had a test the day before.
snow report
Anyone know of there are any quick turnaround (not rapid) PCRs available from Stansted?
snow conditions
Quote:
....and only £59 at LHR
We're now all in the trap of thinking 'only' an extra £118 per couple of additional holiday costs is an absolute bargain...Some people (Hmm...Tory Party donors perhaps?) have got to be laughing all the way to the bank... Confused
snow report
mountainaddict wrote:
Quote:
....and only £59 at LHR
We're now all in the trap of thinking 'only' an extra £118 per couple of additional holiday costs is an absolute bargain...Some people (Hmm...Tory Party donors perhaps?) have got to be laughing all the way to the bank... Confused

Indeed. We’ve travelled a lot over the past year and a bit. In places like Dubai it’s around £50 for someone to come out to the hotel for you, £30 to go to a clinic. The US was more expensive in the summer mind - I could only find a couple of places in Manhattan that did next day results and that was $225…
ski holidays
hammerite wrote:
Anyone know of there are any quick turnaround (not rapid) PCRs available from Stansted?

Just seen this. Yes, try Randox.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Daily Telegraph picking up today that it is possible to just keep using the same test booking numbers over and over again on the PLF.
Annoying, because that might make the Government try and close the loophole!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy