Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski carrier fitting

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I fitted roof bars and a ski carriers to the car tonight. Took them out for a test drive with skis on and all seems fine.

I just wanted to check though… the ski carrier slid onto the roof bar with a metal plate that’s tightened with a bolt. I tightened the bolt as much as I could, but the bolt doesn’t actually go very much further than the metal plate and there’s not much room for it to either (I was supplied with longer bolts but they won’t fit as there’s no room).

Does this seem normal? And do I just need to check the bolts regularly to tighten them? I’ll be keeping the carriers on all season and using them a couple of times a week.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
That's fine, I was told 3 full turns and you are ok which is probably about what you get with the plate in the T track.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@BoardieK, great thanks.

Should I keep my ski ties on?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
If you are concerned about the bolts coming loose, then blue "locktight" or thread locking fluid is helpful. Adds security to bolted threads in high frequency (wind flapping etc) vibration applications, but can still be undone ultimately when you need to.

I always add extra straps to items on roof rack as it's a real pain having to fix something while on a journey with more limited resources at hand/side of road scenario.

Theses are pretty useful for anything like the above https://www.amazon.co.uk/TINA-Ratchet-Tensioning-Mounting-Carriers/dp/B07PJWFSJM/ref=asc_df_B07PJWFSJM/?tag=amz07b-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=256007936600&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=14486008841004018002&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=t&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9045909&hvtargid=pla-729733356443&psc=1
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@ski3, good idea. I might get some of those.

It survived a 30km round trip at 80kph in places yesterday without me having to collect my skis from anyone’s windscreen!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy