Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Travel to Canada

Poster: A snowHead
@stuarth,
I'm going with a few friends to stay with some more friends in Kicking Horse
And we're off next week on the 25th Jan.
As you can imagine we are pretty excited about it .. we have got two weeks before we come home again.

Just watching Bez of the Happy Mondays in dancing on ice... there is hope for us all yet!

Anyway .. we've got lots to look forward to..
We'll do the Banff bits and the Lake Louise bits on the way
We're almost certain do do some ice fishing, snow shoeing and langlauf around Kicking Horse.
I'm hoping we can get to Revelstoke for a couple of days as well.
The roads could be a problem though.

My mate who owns the house at Kicking Horse tells me they had an enormous amount of snow last week till an almighty thaw came in this week.
Cooking on the BBQ in T-shirt weather.
The snow slid off the roof of the house ..he reckons there was about 40 tons up there ...
now on the front lawn.
I'll have to start packing my bag this week.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hello all,

I landed in Vancouver Saturday just before 4pm here after flying in from LHR. We Sailed through baggage check and passport control.

As expected all vaccinated people that were not recently positive exempt were tested.

I am so glad We pre registered, we sailed through the test in, honestly, no more than 15 minutes… however the non registered line was well over an hour wait and I have heard horror stories today of people getting email addresses wrong and not getting their results and the company won’t speak Them until 48 hours have passed and even then a resolution takes another day.

We got to my hotel about 8:30 in whistler that night.

Today (Sunday) we awoke and used the door dash app to order breakfast, we spent the morning unpacking planning our skiing and expecting to hunkered down for the rest of the day but at 2pm around 22 hours after our test we were released to get to the bar for some beers before hitting the slopes tomorrow.

Key message. You will get tested so pre register and the Quarantine really passes quite quickly
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Mabbott1987, thanks for the information.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ditto, thanks @Mabbott1987
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I hadn’t realised Revelstoke was only 176 miles from Banff. It says 3 hours 40 mins. Is it a straight forward road all the way there or not?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/politics/article-canada-urged-to-reverse-on-arrival-mandatory-covid-19-testing-policy/

Changes soon hopefully.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Any dual Can-UK nationals who can confirm the Advance Passenger Info protocol? I'm guessing Canadian passport details on the way out and UK on the way back?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
I hadn’t realised Revelstoke was only 176 miles from Banff. It says 3 hours 40 mins. Is it a straight forward road all the way there or not?

It's called the TransCanada Hwy. About the most major road possible. Doesn't mean it's easy to drive in Winter.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
coochiemudlo wrote:
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/politics/article-canada-urged-to-reverse-on-arrival-mandatory-covid-19-testing-policy/

Changes soon hopefully.

You’d hope so but Canada’s federal government seems determined to be looking like they are doing something, even if it feels a pointless exercise ultimately.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:

It's called the TransCanada Hwy. About the most major road possible. Doesn't mean it's easy to drive in Winter.

I’ve driven plenty in the Alps in winter but you wouldn’t get a 4 hour drive in constant/severe winter conditions there-not very often anyway.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Well from Banff to Golden it's fairly flat to about Field then downhill to Golden down KH canyon then basically up and over Rogers Pass to Revy. Big rigs and their studs/chains/sheer weight tend to mangle the inside lane tarmac making car behaviour a bit tricky if there is any packed snow/ice. Then its perfectly possible to be in a whiteout blizzard over Rogers Pass or get stuck behind a plow (actually probably a benefit a lot of the time as at least its a visual reference point)
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Dave of the Marmottes, thanks for the information that’s what I was after.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@VolklAttivaS5, Its not always a straightforward drive. Firstly check the Lake Louise to Golden stretch is open as there is highway construction there. they have a calendar of closures somewhere. Secondly the road from golden to Revelstoke has avalanche prone sections (Rogers pass kind of area) and can suffer from temporary closures. They are pretty set up to deal with it, but I have been stuck there a couple of times
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
arrived in Vancouver Saturday just around 3:30 pm no testing for us I had my preregister details laminated and just kept saying I was pre registered and showed them my details and kept getting waved through. we were at bus transfer stop at 4:25.Bags and skis were first on the carousel and we were first off the aircraft as we flew business class.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
narbs wrote:
Any dual Can-UK nationals who can confirm the Advance Passenger Info protocol? I'm guessing Canadian passport details on the way out and UK on the way back?

That is how I have always done it. It has worked on the API for two trips in the past few months.
snow conditions
wittenham wrote:
narbs wrote:

That is how I have always done it. It has worked on the API for two trips in the past few months.

@wittenham, great stuff, thank you.
ski holidays
VolklAttivaS5, Driven to Revelstoke a number of times - pretty straight forward, and stunning scenery. As gryphea, says there could be problems. drivebc.ca is worth checking. TC1 can have problems but they work hard to keep it open.

If thinking of going, remember Revelstoke is in a diff time zone which helps time wise when heading there - only takes an hour from KH. Toofy Grin But three coming back.
Remember to fill up before leaving Golden, as the sign on the way out warns you Madeye-Smiley

You would be wise to book a room before you go - first time we just rolled up and got a ski n stay package for $99, thats not happening these days.
Plenty of decent B+Bs about though.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Mon 17-01-22 20:33; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
BA cancelled return journey on 2nd.. think that's a future Timmy problem.
ski holidays
Timmaah, Not good Sad
snow conditions
I just got an email from Sky Scanner:
Fully vaccinated travelers
Low restrictions

Eh oh! On arrival in Canada
Quarantine on arrival is not required

Eh oh! On return to United Kingdom
Quarantine may be required
No negative COVID-19 test required
Lateral flow test on day 2
snow report
No announcement to that effect from the Federal government. Travel.gc.ca still says mandatory quarantine if tested on arrival till results come through

It looks like the UK hov will drop day 2 testing before the Canadian gov drops arrival testing
snow report
@VolklAttivaS5,
I'm looking forward to seeing Rogers Pass or the Glaciers .. I've only driven there and back once but it was in the dark ...
On the way out I got a lift in one of those big trucks,
On the way back to Golden took the Greyhound Bus (very interesting but still dark)
I'll see if I can find any photos Very Happy

Ice Road Trucker

Trans Canadian Hwy by night
ski holidays
@Bones, and @DrLawn thanks
snow report
Quote:

You’d hope so but Canada’s federal government seems determined to be looking like they are doing something, even if it feels a pointless exercise ultimately.

It is a pointless exercise. They did 123000 last week, 3% positivity. Pretty much $150 a pop. Its a total waste of money
snow report
Arrived Wednesday night with friends...our friends got their arrival pcr test result this morning.!!! ..6 days !!!! What a chuffing mess they made if it
latest report
Hope someone can clarify this for me. Friends from UK due to fly into LHR - Calgary but flights now changed to LHR - Vancouver - Calgary with Air Canada. Transit time is around 90 mins in Vancouver.

I imagine they’ll go through immigration in Vancouver as it will be the port of entry, Will they have to get tested in Vancouver or will there be an option to do this in Calgary? They are worried about making their connecting flight and going through everything else too.

Thanks in advance.
snow report
@DrLawn,

I got to see Rogers pass today snowHead sort of - it was a bit snowy/foggy, and I was driving so not looking at the scenery but rather how not to be obliterated by a semi! Madeye-Smiley
I would have mostly missed it in the dark except I got to wait for ages trying to get out of Golden due to a train that went backwards and forwards , and backward and forwards, and... over the crossing on the Kicking Horse access road
From a driving perspective it was better today because last week (when going the other way) it was shut most of the afternoon/evening so lots of backed up trucks some of which were trying very (too) hard to make up for lost time!

I also decided I will never complain about the Coquihalla again - the route round via 5A and 3 adds an extra 2 hours and lots of windy, hilly roads.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Tue 18-01-22 4:45; edited 6 times in total
snow report
@yorkshirelad, mine took 15hrs , did they test at airport or take home kit ??
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Rishie wrote:
Hope someone can clarify this for me. Friends from UK due to fly into LHR - Calgary but flights now changed to LHR - Vancouver - Calgary with Air Canada. Transit time is around 90 mins in Vancouver.

I imagine they’ll go through immigration in Vancouver as it will be the port of entry, Will they have to get tested in Vancouver or will there be an option to do this in Calgary? They are worried about making their connecting flight and going through everything else too.

Thanks in advance.

Testing at Vancouver. As their baggage is now through checked they should get through rapidly. Of they're late they might be offered a test to take with them which they should refuse - if they miss the connection it's AC's responsibility
snow conditions
yorkshirelad wrote:
Arrived Wednesday night with friends...our friends got their arrival pcr test result this morning.!!! ..6 days !!!! What a chuffing mess they made if it

Uh oh that’s off putting.
snow conditions
According to reports, most Vancouver tests are returned inside 36 hours. It's not one of the problem airports
ski holidays
@Saintsman, do you know what the turnaround time is for Calgary?
snow report
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:

Supposedly quick. And only a small % being selected for testing
snow conditions
Saintsman wrote:
Rishie wrote:

Thanks in advance.

Testing at Vancouver. As their baggage is now through checked they should get through rapidly. Of they're late they might be offered a test to take with them which they should refuse - if they miss the connection it's AC's responsibility

Thanks very much.
ski holidays
Saintsman wrote:
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:

Supposedly quick. And only a small % being selected for testing

Oh good.
snow report
@Saintsman, @Mabbott1987, Is there much happening in the resort at the moment??...I'm sure apres is a non event?

Anywhere decent for breakfast?
snow report
The main bars (Longhorn, GLC, Duhblinn etc) are open, but max group size is 6, no dancing, etc. Clubs are closed, no events to speak of except for the odd bit of live music. Not much open for breakfast. Gone Eatery, Brasserie, Crepe Montagne, the coffee shops....
latest report
Breakfast: best outside the village.
Gone isn't what it was in my humble opinion - their coffee doesn't seem to have much coffee in it. The Mount Currie Coffee Company may be worth a look.
ski holidays
So we now have a positive test in advance of our 10 Feb departure, which may well turn out to be a huge blessing!

I've been in touch with the Canadian consulate in London and they've said that we just need to upload proof of the positive result into ArriveCAN which seems simple enough - but no mention of whether the NHS confirmation of a positive PCR test constitutes 'proof'.

Has anyone been ok with just that NHS confirmation?
snow conditions
There's nowhere to upload your positive proof in Arrivecan.

In Arrivecan you tick a box indicating that you've had COVID and will be traveling unde nthat method rather than a 72 hour test. You upload your Vax certificates.

At the airport checkin, they ask to see your Arrivecan receipt and will then ask for your 72 hour test. You tell them you're using a positive test result, hand that over together with your NHS email (we printed and laminated both along with lots of other docs to be sure).

That's it.

On arrival, if everything has hooked together correctly you will automatically bypass arrivals testing and be on your way
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy