Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Travel to Canada

Poster: A snowHead
So... bit of an issue with BA. They won't let me check in unless I submit my covid documents with Verifly and Verifly don't let you upload positive PCR. Kind of annoying it means I have to go to the check in counter, and probably get a poo-poo seat for the flight. Bit of a first world problem but still annoying!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Timmaah,

Or you might get a free upgrade to business class. Happened to me a few years back when our online checkin was screwed up by the system and they had to re-seat us at the airport!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
yorkshirelad wrote:
Bang on 24 hours for negative Pcr from YCR..

Yay
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Just having a day in vancouver with friends then heading up to whistler Saturday..ski Sunday..webcam shows it being very quiet
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
yorkshirelad wrote:
Just having a day in vancouver with friends then heading up to whistler Saturday..ski Sunday..webcam shows it being very quiet

Quiet on mountain, quiet in town. The snow is OK-ish but not great - all just a bit too warm
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
What are people's thoughts on the risk of flying into Calgary (From the UK) ? 24, 48 hours isolating is ok, but I don't fancy isolating much longer and certainly not 14. Reading horror stories in Toronto and just weighing up whether to fly to Canada (Calgary) or not. What are people hearing/seeing?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
pre flight PCR test done and back in 8 hrs
arrivcan done
verifly done
CBSA arrival done
arrival pre registration done
car booked
squamish / whistler here I come , two years and only 1 day on BC snow , cant wait snowHead
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Just seen the forecast for NEXT weekend - yuck.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@CyberBob, No idea as don't have any evidence but Toronto is a huge hub airport for international travel. I wouldn't call Calgary that
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Saintsman,

Not unusual for January. Sometimes it works out and theres a ton of snow, sometimes rain Sad
Febuary usually dryer, will see how that goes.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
stuarth wrote:
@Saintsman,

Not unusual for January. Sometimes it works out and theres a ton of snow, sometimes rain Sad

It's not rain, it's the temps. +10 degrees in the alpine? Gonna be sunny as well
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Saintsman wrote:
stuarth wrote:
@Saintsman,

It's not rain, it's the temps. +10 degrees in the alpine? Gonna be sunny as well

Yes not unusual.
Weather comes from Hawaii, hence the Pineapple Express name (though that alsk dies usually include rain)
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Reports of a dump on its way out east.
Apparently the weather system heads down to the Gulf of Mexico, picks up moisture, then travels up the eastern seaboard picking up more moisture, pushing a cold front North.

I wonder how many Canadian Snowheads we have on here?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
stuarth wrote:
Saintsman wrote:
stuarth wrote:
@Saintsman,

Yes not unusual.
Weather comes from Hawaii, hence the Pineapple Express name (though that alsk dies usually include rain)

Hmmm

Well, by then we're due a rest day so might head off to Scandinave instead
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@stuarth, will the lower elevation snow be gone in north van / squamish with recent rain and temps , as can always get on my bike if snow no good next weekend
latest report
@AL9000, we have a few. Mostly dual nationality though, ie brits who moved here
ski holidays
I’ve not been to Whistler, only Banff Sunshine, Norquay, Lake Louise, Panorama and Kicking Horse.
Had a brill time in all of those so that’s why I’m going back.

I’ve heard about Whistler being wet and the rain so what attracts people there compared to the other Canadian resorts in drier colder Alberta and on the BC/Alberta border?
Is it the size of Whistler? More vertical?
latest report
VolklAttivaS5, Mainly the size, vert is good too, but theres more at Revelstoke. Liken it to Disney on Snow. A full on resort both on and off the snow. Been a couple of times, no need to again Toofy Grin

Horses for courses, but we'll take the interior any time Madeye-Smiley
latest report
@Dabber,
Not sure as I'm still in the interior. Theres been quite a lot of snow, so a lot to melt!
Heres the nsmb thread on the topic for the north shore trails
https://nsmb.com/forum/forum/the-shore-3/topic/how-low-is-the-snow-131789/?page=7
snow report
@VolklAttivaS5,
Whistler does get warm and wet sometimes, but that isnt that often, and means a lot of snow the rest of the time. And as noted, that snow is on a lot of terrain.

Unfortunately if you're here for a week or 2 that might be the weather you get, and from my hazy recollection it seems that January is the month for pineapple expresses, but also often the best snow

Its also way easier to get to. I'm at Kicking horse at the moment which is pretty good (though would be really good with one more strategically placed lift!), but it was not easy to get here.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Sat 15-01-22 16:23; edited 3 times in total
ski holidays
@stuarth, thanks mate , will keep my options open , was hoping to get winter ride on the shore whilst out , not much chance in squamish , watched a video of someone skiing in&out burger the other day Shock
snow report
@stuarth, yes it’s true it looks a lot easier to get to than Kicking Horse.
It looks like a good place to spend a month if reasonably priced accommodation could be found for that length of time.
snow conditions
CyberBob wrote:
What are people's thoughts on the risk of flying into Calgary (From the UK) ? 24, 48 hours isolating is ok, but I don't fancy isolating much longer and certainly not 14. Reading horror stories in Toronto and just weighing up whether to fly to Canada (Calgary) or not. What are people hearing/seeing?

The two problem airports appear to be Toronto and Montreal, here delays of 6-10 days appear to be common

Calgary only appears to be testing approx 30% or so and it's a 24 hour turnaround, Vancouver is effectively 100% but also around 24 hours
latest report
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
It looks like a good place to spend a month if reasonably priced accommodation could be found for that length of time.

If driving, about an hours difference at the most depending on Vancouver traffic, which can be fun Toofy Grin .
Finding reasonable accommodation might be problematic too.
latest report
Irish bar in whistler tonight...didn't think I'd get here
snow report
Bones wrote:
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:

If driving, about an hours difference at the most depending on Vancouver traffic, which can be fun Toofy Grin .
Finding reasonable accommodation might be problematic too.

???
1.5 to 2 hours to Whistler along a (now) relatively sane road with few big trucks, 11 to 12 hours to Kicking Horse along assortment of roads and weather with many impatient big trucks Madeye-Smiley
snow report
yorkshirelad wrote:
Irish bar in whistler tonight...didn't think I'd get here

Congrats - got to admit I had my doubts for you at one point
ski holidays
Rebooked for 1st two weeks in April staying at the Moose. Fingers crossed things will be calm by then and PCR's will be a thing of the past surely!!

And here's hoping there's still some good snow to be had
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Its also way easier to get to. I'm at Kicking horse at the moment which is pretty good (though would be really good with one more strategically placed lift!), but it was not easy to get here.

Which roads are still out? Coquahilla? Does Hwy 1 also have restrictions?
snow report
I've decided to go on the Birthday Bash double instead, I'll try for Whistler next year. Plus the forthcoming weather reports were not instilling much confidence tbh!
ski holidays
stuarth, Not for you wink For us Uk visitors Toofy Grin
snow report
@Bones, ah, I see Embarassed Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
@Dave of the Marmottes,

1 still being patched up. Was due to reopen this week, but crazy snow and avy risk slowed it down a bit - still pretty impressive as they have been deploying whole new bridges! https://www.flickr.com/photos/tranbc/51802646529/

5 (Coquihalla) restricted to commercial traffic between Hope and Merritt

8 pretty much disappeared in some places!

Both 1 and 5 just have temporary fixes, along with 3 which is pretty beaten up too.
ski holidays
Positive PCR check in with BA went fine, just maybe expect some delay. Took ~10mins for agent to familiarise with rules which is very fair considering it changes every two days
snow conditions
Can anyone give me their experience with crystal in canada. I've got upcoming trip to banff 23/02-05/03 . Package with crystal. Flights were originally direct lhr-yyc return but aircanada have now changed the with layovers lhr toronto yyc and then yyc/yvr/lhr, really not happy over that.
Now with all the arrival testing at canada airports feel like am just playing Russian roulette on arrival in case one of us tests positive, although all triple jabbed. Been in touch with crystal over options and they say its just a waiting game to see if Canadians relax entry requirements or testing regime. Has anyone had their hol to canada cancelled by crystal and offered a refund without having to transfer to one of their other hols. I've lost a lot of faith in crystal as the customer service has just being awful, I have booked flights to innsbruck on a previous ej voucher so I will be going skiing. I would take a crystal cancellation in a heartbeat. Would be grateful for you guys to share you crystal canada experience with me
latest report
@chrisdavies1968, I had to cancel myself for COVID related reasons for Whistler and they emailed me just this last week, I was due to fly this Wednesday, and they asked me if I was happy to travel with the current on arrival testing requirements at the airport and gave me an email address to contact them with if not, so I answered no and they cancelled no problem and I was refunded a few days later.

It all depends on if the current testing at the airport requirement continues that they offer you this option from what I see.
latest report
Hi Richardb, thanks for the speedy response, can I just clarify. You say you had to cancel yourself due to covid reasons and they offered you a cancellation and refund. Was the refund based on your own personal covid situation or based on the current testing situation in canadian airports. Also was it just one week before departure. Regards
snow report
My situation became complicated due to my COVID Pass being locked out till the day after I was supposed to fly out to Canada, the email came at an ideal time and yes, it was the week before, as in this last week. I just went along with the idea that it was due to being uncomfortable with the at airport testing requirements and with me being positive at the time and as a result of being blocked out of my Digital Pass, I would not have been able to board the flight out anyway.
snow conditions
Thank you for the clarity, sorry to hear your hol has been lost but main thing is money protected.
From my own position i am about 5 weeks pre departure I just wish crystal would pull the plug now as I don't want to rebook with them. That gives me time to sort digs out to marry up with my innsbruck flights. Just bloody frustrating
ski holidays
[quote="AL9000"]Reports of a dump on its way out east.
Apparently the weather system heads down to the Gulf of Mexico, picks up moisture, then travels up the eastern seaboard picking up more moisture, pushing a cold front North.

I wonder how many Canadian Snowheads we have on here?[/quot

At least one anyways.
And it is true that unvaccinated under 12s pretty much have to quarantine on arrival. It's a federal law, not provincial, provinces have to follow federal laws too.
Sadly for this reason my daughter hasn't seen her grandparents for 2 years and desperately misses them. It would break her heart to know that people are breaking the law simply for a ski holiday. There will be other opportunities.

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/covid-vaccinated-travellers-entering-canada#children
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy